IGNORED

Are you getting tired of online gaming?

Sng

Still lovin the online but yur friends list doues get fragmented with so many online games now on 360. Needs the big games to bind everyone together again.

I'd argue that's precisely what it doesn't need - Halo2 killed Live for many people. If you weren't one of the people playing it, then Live just seemed dead. I used to play Midtown Madness 3 before it came out, and afterwards, I could never get games.

- remote multiplayer: I loved the XSN system where you could set up contests to see who could get the best score on a couple of runs in amped or get the best time on a few rallisport courses. Setting up mini tournaments with friends was ace and allowed for a competitive game but one you could play at your own pace (we normally set these up to run over the course of a week so you could have a few days to log you best time). It looks like EA are doing something similar with Gamernet on Tiger woods 08 but I would really like to see more games use this feature.

This was great on Amped2 - for anyone that doesn't know, bascially it did what the Rllmuk Pro Evo league does; provides a website to track all your games, either against each or against the CPU, and you could have contests over periods of weeks or months. It's a shame it didn't catch on.

It's a very broad question, but if we're talking about competitive games, FPSs mostly, then I've never really been into them in the first place. If you go up against people who already know the maps and know where all the weapons are, you don't stand a chance, and the learning process is not an enjoyable one. This frequently happens if you don't go out and buy a game straight away, and I don't like the idea of games having 'shelf-lives'. People may say "well why don't you spend a few hours learning the maps or get someone to coach you", but that's time that could be spent enjoying myself, playing a game offline set against a designed challenge rather than a randomised one.

I like anything co-operative, though, online or offline. And I don't mind playing against or with friends either, but it's not always practical to arrange when I'm going to play something hours or days in advance, so usually I have to make do with randoms. Or I just don't bother.

People may say "well why don't you spend a few hours learning the maps or get someone to coach you", but that's time that could be spent enjoying myself

Do you realise that what you just said there, is the exact thing I'm dealing with regarding my whole Southpaw issue? Just replace 'maps' with 'controls'. <_<

But that aside.

In online FPS, knowing the maps isn't that important. It's more important to have quick reactions and a good surround sound setup. Those are the prime things that can make a difference. "Eyes and ears", as they say. That phrase doesn't exist without a purpose, you know.

Multi-player wise, I much prefer playing in the same room with people you know, even if it means you have to play split-screen, its just a lot more fun. Games like Mario Party or Smash Bros would lose almost all there appeal to me if played online. Even Mario Kart online on the DS was v.dull imo.

Online is a nice substitute though and if you're playing with people you know (I never am, don't know any other gamer nerds <_< ), then I imagine its a lot of fun. When I had an original XBOX with a Live account, I found that I got bored with Halo 2 very quickly despite the fact that everyone was raving on about it - probably because of the people I was playing with more than anything.

Single player or offline multiplayer is where its really at for me.

Do you realise that what you just said there, is the exact thing I'm dealing with regarding my whole Southpaw issue? Just replace 'maps' with 'controls'. <_<

Although, in your case, you'd only need to learn it once and you're sorted for life. Learning online games has to be done every single time a new one comes out.

In online FPS, knowing the maps isn't that important. It's more important to have quick reactions and a good surround sound setup. Those are the prime things that can make a difference. "Eyes and ears", as they say. That phrase doesn't exist without a purpose, you know.

I suspect it varies depending on the game in question, but it tends to be very important indeed in games that have weapon spawn points and hidden rooms. Quick reactions won't do you much good if you're being sniped from the other side of a level by someone you can't even see.

I don't have surround sound. :)

I don't have surround sound. :)

Sucks to be you then. <_<

Surround sound reduced the amount of times I got killed.

I generally don't prefer when FPS have their weapons scattered on the floor. Yes, that includes the Halo games. Give me the opportunity to sort out my equipment pre-battle and I'm happy.

My view on Online gaming is this.

I loathe online on Live

I love online on PC.

Probably because I'm used to the amazing dedicated servers (since 1998) and communities that build up around said servers with the added bonus that you'll continually get new blood nearly everyday. Plus the fact that lots of online PC games still have a decent playerbase years after release instead of the sheep like nature of the Live crowd is good in my book.

• 4 weeks later...
Yep, you have to understand that killing you is a special treat, because it's usually the other way around. Little Pink Ninja is the ultimate kill though, because the complete bastard is stunningly good. I killed him once last night and found myself standing over his slumped corpse, screaming like something out of Apocolypse Now. :):lol:

Just noticed this :) WELL please with myself now.

:ph34r:

Online was a bit dull for me...until Halo 3 appeared. Now I just cant get enough. Games with forumites, friends and even randoms. Lots of fun to be had. Sadly I have no idea if we will see anything else of its like on the current gen of consoles. I'm guessing we wont as it never happened after Halo 2's matchmaking.

My view on Online gaming is this.

I loathe online on Live

I love online on PC.

Probably because I'm used to the amazing dedicated servers (since 1998) and communities that build up around said servers with the added bonus that you'll continually get new blood nearly everyday. Plus the fact that lots of online PC games still have a decent playerbase years after release instead of the sheep like nature of the Live crowd is good in my book.

Why what games do you currently play dude?

I share the sentiments of many here - most of my XBL online experience has been of the "cunty American 12 year old" variety

Frankly time is a premium for me, there are a LOT more games I want to play than I have time for; so devoting months of play time learning a single game so I can simply play it online without dying in 4 seconds isn't an attractive option. I simply have better things to do... (and other games to play)

It's a big problem. I mean just imagine if there were a gathering of players of all sorts of abilities with whom you could arrange games with people who are about as good as you?

It would be crazy, man.

Some might say that you're a dreamer

But you're not the only one

Don't worry, Home is out soon!

NOBODY CARES

Don't worry, Home is out soon!
Some might say that you're a dreamer

But you're not the only one

NOBODY CARES

He may have a point tho young Paltrow, anyone who thinks Home will be good or will use it is bound to be in the 'annoying cnut' demographic currently online. It could make the actual proper online gaming side better for the normal folk.

Online is amazing for me, we still play the same game on the same night what 11 months after release, halo 3 has added something to the mix now too. Glory days for online gaming. When they finish warhawk its gonna be great online, on the odd occasion i can get on its a fantastic game. The only online i dont miss is the pc scene, mainly as i would spend too much time on it but i think i am very happy with the curent online gaming on consoles (360)

For someone so not interested in a PS3 you sure do like to spend a lot of time talking about it.

It only looks like that because there's so little to talk about.

Seriously, I'm posting shit at a rate of knots right now. This is a tiny fraction.

Don't think I'm becoming tired of online games, but I fear sometimes the best online experiences are behind me. When I play online I never seem to be able to hit the highs that playing the original Ghost Recon (night docks!), Return to Castle Wolfenstein or Operation Flashpoint: Elite gave me (I miss those games .... sob).

Anyway I'm beginning to get a bit serious with online gaming now. Like Halo 3. I genuinely care how I do. I go into games, aware of my strengths, weaknesses and what to do with them. I just play smart and unlike stuff like counterstrike, where I would struggle to get a kill before being killed, I'm not getting a lot of matchmaking games where I finish with +15 kills over my deaths (like 20 kills and 5 deaths) or something and plenty of medals. I'm actually ok or even good at an online game! (I wasn't bad at halo 2, but in the grand scheme of things I still sucked)

Now I used to play Halo 2 with three of my friends. One sucked really bad, but we bared with it, even though it was basic mistakes. Like running into the other team all by himself guns blazing. I would look up and just see his gamertag with a big red X on the other side of the map. All the time. My other two friends were good, still not team players, but managed to carry us through. Anyway the really shit one finally learnt to stick around his teammates and not be some suicidial lemming, he played ok and even good after that.

Now Halo 3 is here, and the two good friends are not playing online, but the formerly shit one is. He's fine now, but he still struggles with any form of strategy. Now his cousin has joined us and while he isn't terrible for a beginner, he's doing the same thing about running into the enemy alone on team slayer. I see him get on the mongoose alone sometimes, drive across the map and just die. The other day, I got pissed off, and told them to stick around and stay together as a team. The new guy said he needs to go collect the "good weapons". He failed to notice the majority of my kills are assault rifle/beatdown. Besides what good is a rocket launcher is you come across a section of the map with four enemies spread out on it? And then I told the oldie one to stick around. So this doesnt go to plan and I get frustrated in a losing game where I have a killing frenzy, but we are still down by plenty. They're telling me its boring to follow me around and they just want to go where the action is. At this point I give up, I can play with my friends, but I can't play as a team with them. Theres fuck all voice chat about where they are except the occasional "Did you see that?" and I'm getting bored of losing and fighting a group of four for no reason. Halo is a really frustrating game online without smart teammates. You dont need to be good, just smart, and not be resistant to being told stuff to do by the rest of the team if its for the best.

I know I sound really elitist now, and a right cock, and maybe its guys like me who suck the fun out of it. But on the contrary Halo is so much more of a fun game online with a good functioning team and its feels so dull and boring to just play it with people who don't treat on it on the same strategic level as you.

But thankfully the forum is saviour. I had some great games today with Meerman and Retro Ghost and DocNI and Alasdair and the others who joined (I forget your names). Its a low expectation atmosphere, just come and have some fun, but without any lecturing or need to be explained, everyone works together and listens- doesnt matter what your stats say, as long as you had fun and were a team player. I got into my first game with Meerman today and it was so fucking refreshing to see three yellow dots around me on my radar. With the support of my teammates and me supporting them, we played really well. Even when we lost, it wasn't because we didn't play together but just sometimes we faced an amazing amazing team with crazy skills.

Anyway, a thanks to the guys on the forum for that. I tip my hat to you and hope to play many more games with you wonderful people

So yeah, if stuff like Halo is frustrating or not appealing to you online or if your (real life) friends just don't treat it the same level as you do, come play with the forum guys. You'll have a lot more fun.

I didn't get much gametime over the weekend. Sorry Uzion :)

Was in a team of four when you asked to join. We shall play soon. I'm the same as you though I believe n the greater good - stick as a team and work together.

Those who just drive off and get killed are doing no one any favours.