Stilly

2000AD & The Meg

2 hours ago, The Hierophant said:

Who's writing the likes of Dredd and Slaine these days?

Wagner is still on Dredd and Mills on Slaine.

Zenith isn't really coming back, it was a PR droid drawn in a Zenith outfit by Yeowell. At best, it could be a cameo in a strip.

• Upvote 1

On 16/09/2017 at 11:02, Windowlicker said:

Wagner is still on Dredd and Mills on Slaine.

Zenith isn't really coming back, it was a PR droid drawn in a Zenith outfit by Yeowell. At best, it could be a cameo in a strip.

Aw, fuck.

It would be amazing if the big reveal is that they've patched things up, with and it's a proper new Grant Morrison-written series starring middle aged Zenith.

Less likely than a smooth painless Brexit, unfortunately.

OK, I'm going to say it and I don't care who knows. 

Simon Davis. Superb cover artist and full page portrait painter..... But an utterly shit comic artist. 

Yes, I'm sorry. But slaine is almost unreadable now. It looks amazing. But the pictures do not tell a story. Davis is just showing off how good an artist his is, how well he can paint slaine or a god or make a female character not  look sleezy.

And that is brilliant.

But he can't paint a series of panels to tell a story, go back and look at Bisleys slaine and see the humour and flow of each panel. How a page took you from point A at the top to point the B at the bottom with some narrative connection. 

Davies is just page after page of "Oi!!! LOOK AT ME PAINTING, I can paint yet another massive picture of slaine killing stuff AND YOU LOVE IT!!!!! MMMAWWWWWHAHAHAHAAHAHHHAHAAHABABAHBAABBABABAAHHAJA" 

First and foremost, tell the fucking story with pictures, then show off your technique. 

I kind of agree, but I think part of the problem is that the story in Slaine has been incoherent recently. Every episode seems to be a non-sequitur to whatever happened last week. Oh we’re surrounded by evil ancient godlike beings! Now let’s go over there and spend an episode ignoring them and talking about family history! Now some different baddies are here! Now let’s talk about something else for a bit! Oh look the godlike beings are back!

I think I’m saying the problem isn’t Simon Davis, it’s Pat Mills. A lot of his strips have had this problem recently, particularly Flesh and ABC Warriors. It’s a shame because his “universe” was always my favourite thing about 2000AD.

• Upvote 2

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/judge-dredd-comics

Mostly the bad IDW comics, but plenty of other stuff there that makes it well worth the $15. Posted this in the Dredd 3D thread:

I've just bought this. What i've read of the IDW stuff previously has been poor, but there's enough other stuff in there to be worth buying the $15 bundle. Origins, Case files 05 (with the apocalypse war), Cry of the Werewolf and America for starters are all top of the line Dredd stories.

If you've not read Dredd before, don't start with Origins. That's best read after reading as much other Dredd stories as you can get your hands on.

Well having criticised Pat Mills a couple of months ago I have to take it back and say all is forgiven. I’ve just caught up with the last few progs and the double Quartz whammy in Savage and ABC Warriors is simply great. Two separate strips in the same issue, one covering the Genesis of the ABC Warriors as Howard calls it, the other their apparent end (although it won’t really be, obviously). I can’t help feeling we’re heading towards another Dead Man/Trifecta moment where one strip leads directly into the other, but perhaps that’s just wishful thinking.

Either way 2000AD’s going through a bit of a purple patch at the moment. The current Dredd story is a bit different and interesting, Bad Company has settled into its new groove after what I thought was a disappointing return, and I’m even enjoying Brass Sun for the first time (but I know it’s widely acclaimed - it’s one of those stories I joined halfway through so I spent a long time not having any idea what was going on. I still don’t really but I understand just enough to enjoy it anyway). It’s all zarjaz.

I agree. I've never been a huge Savage fan (At some point in the last several years I lost the thread of the plot completely) but I'm loving these new developments. My biggest problem with 2000ad as it stands at the moment is Brass Sun as the perfect example. I've been reading it from the start but every time it goes on a break the only thing I can remember when it comes back is the basic backstory. For the current run I literally have no idea who the fuck any of them are and what's going on. Same with quite a lot of the stories. Although bizarrely I don't really have the problem with some other strips. Kingdom and that one about Alien immigrants on earth I'm fine with. (Even if I can't remember the title :) )

I always fucking love Dredd though.

• Upvote 1