Nail your flag to a mast

Sony was also part of the CD and DVD consortium though.

They were, but blu-ray is more their baby than anyone elses. If you can confidently say that it will be CD- DVD- Blu-ray, than sure, thats your opinion. But Im sure no one can say that right now with any certainty. I looked at the metal gear demo and I wondered what would be taking up so much space in this game that it can be done on blu-ray only. And I thought 10,000 codec calls, LOL.

Sony was also part of the CD and DVD consortium though.

True, but when it comes to championing a new format on their own they don't have a brilliant track record. Ok, Blu Ray isn't just their baby, but with the PS3 they are forcing it on people who aren't neccessarily ready yet. Why?

If they were able to show BR making a significant difference to gaming then it would be a different story, but that isn't the case.

And unless a developer comes here and tells me otherwise, I doubt having a huge storage format will do anything special. If the stuff doesnt fit, just compress it (most people wont cry at losing 7.1 HD sound) or multidisc it.

Yeah, you're right. I wish we'd stayed with CDs. It would have made no difference whatsoever to games. Just multidisc everything!

Well their Trojan horse approach hasn't really worked because of its cost - you'd have thought they'd have learnt with the PSP and its UMD movie format.

Even now theres movies for 12.99 - i mean, fuck off Sony.

Saying that...MS haven't exactly been marketing their HD device either.

Whatever - i don't care to much for quality to be honest. Its DIVX for me.

A trip to the movies is about the same as buying the film on whatever format anyway and when i do buy DVD's i rarely watch them more then once.

As such, i only buy DVD's for comedy or series boxsets.

Yeah, you're right. I wish we'd stayed with CDs. It would have made no difference whatsoever to games. Just multidisc everything!

LOL. Predictable reply ahoy! I bet you think you're so clever, heres a pat on your head.

Too bad only a few dozen studios across the world right now care about filling up those discs in games.Come see me when it actually does anything! Until then the other two consoles that take up about 75 percent or so of the market are using the dominant media. Im not asking for us to stay on dvds , Im saying that blu-ray really has no business room to move in games apart from a few sony studios.

I bet you laugh at all the people watch dvds rather than 1080p 7.1 films. And you're not a developer but a PS3 owner- so FAIL. :lol:

And the gamecube didnt suffer by having lower capacity discs. Stuff like res evil 4 just went two discs.

Yes it did. Third party publishers (e.g Burnout 3) specifically cited the lack of capacity as the reason it didn't make it to the platform.

In the fullness of time, DVD will run out of space. When that point is, is up for debate, but it's going to happen.

Of course you solve that by going multi dics, but the will inevitably be games that you simply cannot turn into multi disc product, and of course, the cost to the publisher is greater the more discs they produce - Or the margain is reduced, depending on how you look at it.

Yes it did. Third party publishers (e.g Burnout 3) specifically cited the lack of capacity as the reason it didn't make it to the platform.

In the fullness of time, DVD will run out of space. When that point is, is up for debate, but it's going to happen.

Of course you solve that by going multi dics, but the will inevitably be games that you simply cannot turn into multi disc product, and of course, the cost to the publisher is greater the more discs they produce - Or the margain is reduced, depending on how you look at it.

Im sure had the gamecube had the sales like the wii, they would have found a way. The gc was just a shit seller.

I dont dispute that dvd will eventually run out of space. But I do dispute that blu-ray offers anything for gaming now or in the near future.

And would two dvd's for eg be cheaper than one blank blu-ray for publishers?

and of course, the cost to the publisher is greater the more discs they produce - Or the margain is reduced, depending on how you look at it.

Is this true? I would have thought the cost of the extra discs would be fractions of pennies.

Didn't know that was the reason why Burnout 3 never made it to GC though. Thinking about it, I can see how it wouldn't be practical with a racing game.

Im sure had the gamecube had the sales like the wii, they would have found a way. The gc was just a shit seller.

I dont dispute that dvd will eventually run out of space. But I do dispute that blu-ray offers anything for gaming now or in the near future.

And would two dvd's for eg be cheaper than one blank blu-ray for publishers?

Correct - for the foreseeable DVD is fine.

As for the cost apsect, the same applies - it is probably cheaper to produce 4 DVD's than one BluRay - but the curves will cross over eventually with economies of scale.

As said though, when that point is, is anyones guess.

As a BluRay player, PS3 is mighty attractive if that's your bag.

At the current time, 360 is miles ahead in terms of games over the PS3 and the Wii. That won't last forever though. All three is the only answer.

As an aside I really don't get people saying "oh it's too much money" we have all, and I mean all, spent ridiculous amounts on gaming - Spending another £400 on a console really isn't a massive amount in the scheme of things.

I'm not even sure why I'm comming in here to reply, it's ridiculous theorhetical question circular debates threads like this that made me take a sabbatical from this place.

"If you had to choose"... Well, I don't have to. Nor do most people here.

In theory, where CD enabled 3D worlds to be streamed, the same should occur with HDDVD where you have these huge (but really detailed) worlds although looking at current 360 games i see huge game worlds are not really a problem.

Is this true? I would have thought the cost of the extra discs would be fractions of pennies.

Didn't know that was the reason why Burnout 3 never made it to GC though. Thinking about it, I can see how it wouldn't be practical with a racing game.

Fractions of pennies times a few million copies adds up - It's not just the material costs though - it's time and money spent - Obviously burning twice as many discs is going to take you twice as long in terms of man hours.

Like i said though, probably a moot point for the foreseeable.

Returning to the GT5 damage issue - isn't it a fallacy that the GT series has never incorporated crash damage because they couldn't get permission from car manufacturers? I heard that it's rather a case of Kazunori Yamauchi being such a sim freak that he insisted they not include damage unless and until they can model its effects on the cars perfectly.

Returning to the GT5 damage issue - isn't it a fallacy that the GT series has never incorporated crash damage because they couldn't get permission from car manufacturers? I heard that it's rather a case of Kazunori Yamauchi being such a sim freak that he insisted they not include damage unless and until they can model its effects on the cars perfectly.

That's my understanding too. I'm sure I read an interview somewhere where he said just that.

well, seeing as this thread is already off topic.

Why is it that maufacturers are (understandably I think)really fussy about letting videogame makers smash up their cars but at the same time they don't seem to give two shits about how the car actually handles in the game. The Ferrari Enzo is meant to be one of the greatest cars of all time but I hate the thing in PGR3, choose the mcLaren over it everytime. that's gotta reflect worse on the car than seeing it get smashed up.

I guess one is an easy yes no answer, the other they would actually have to bother playing to game to find out.

As an owner of both, I'm happy with both. For me, in the short term the 360 has the better offerings, and the Live Arcade service continues to shine. However, the PSN stuff seems (so far) to offer quality over quantity and I'm very happy with Super Stardust, Gripshift, Tekken and a couple of PS1 games. I enjoy the experience of using the PS3 more (regardless of the lack of rumble), everything just feels a little more robust. And I'm loving picking up some PS2 bargains for some upscaled goodness. Blu-ray will get more use from me when there's some more movies I want, but I like the upscaling of DVDs on the PS3 over HDMI vs component for the 360 (my projector just looks nicer with an HDMI input).

But ultimately, for me, at this stage, it's all about Little Big Planet. It's the only exclusive on the PS3 that I'm waiting for in the near future. Wasn't overly impressed by the Heavenly Sword demo, and Lair looks ok but a bit repetitive. If Little Big Planet dissapoints then my flag will nailed ton the 360 for sure...in the meantime I'm just playing that waiting game and thankfully some of the years big hitters (360 and Wii) aren't too far away now.

Why is it that maufacturers are (understandably I think)really fussy about letting videogame makers smash up their cars but at the same time they don't seem to give two shits about how the car actually handles in the game. The Ferrari Enzo is meant to be one of the greatest cars of all time but I hate the thing in PGR3, choose the mcLaren over it everytime. that's gotta reflect worse on the car than seeing it get smashed up.

I don't think thats the case with Forza 2. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but the cars are a joy to drive. Once you get used to them.

Let me add to my original list of upcoming PS3 exclusives with Rockstar's unknown PS3 only project recently announced.

Even though I know nothing about it, I know it's coming from Rockstar and it will be made soley for PS3, taking full advantages of Bluray high storage and the CELL processor. That's enough for me to get excited.

I know I made the right choice in buying a PS3, 360 has no upcoming exclusive games which I am interested in, except Halo 3 & PGR4. Apart from those, all it has is a load of RPG's and I don't play those. Even if you do, PS3 has the next Final Fantasy and every mature non fanboy knows it's the best RPG.

Bioshock I'll play on PC and no doubt have a much more enjoyable experience with it.

I don't think thats the case with Forza 2. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but the cars are a joy to drive. Once you get used to them.

Certainly in Forza 2 the Enzo is a far more mangeable beast.

But then PGR is not, and never has been aimed at the sim market - It's an arcade racer with arcade handling.

In terms of accuracy, I don't beleive there is any such thing - It is virtually impossible to translate the real driving expereince, all you can do its what feels right. FOr example, I drive an Impreza, and I certainly didn't think "my god this is amazingly accurate" when I drove one in Forza 2 - I think main thing is having descernable and predictable handling differences between RWD, FWD and AWD, and mid, read and front engined cars along with repescitve perfornmance. And Forza gets that pretty much spot on.

Let me add to my original list of upcoming PS3 exclusives with Rockstar's unknown PS3 only project recently announced.

Even though I know nothing about it, I know it's coming from Rockstar and it will be made soley for PS3, taking full advantages of Bluray high storage and the CELL processor. That's enough for me to get excited.

I know I made the right choice in buying a PS3, 360 has no upcoming exclusive games which I am interested in, except Halo 3 & PGR4. Apart from those, all it has is a load of RPG's and I don't play those. Even if you do, PS3 has the next Final Fantasy and every mature non fanboy knows it's the best RPG.

Bioshock I'll play on PC and no doubt have a much more enjoyable experience with it.

Yeah, also i can't wait until December when Blade Runner: Final Cut (Five-Disc Ultimate Collector's Edition in Collectible "Deckard Briefcase") edition will come out on Blu-Ray. :lol: Watching that movie in HD is worth the price of the Blu-Ray player itself.

5 Discs!? That's 125GB of data (If to believe they've packed each disc full).

Look's like that will be on my Xmas list, I hope it contains all the different cuts of the film though.

This is what's on the discs:

The Blade Runner: The Final Cut (Five-Disc Ultimate Collector's Edition) will feature the following bonus materials:

* Commentary by Ridley Scott

* Commentary by Executive Producer/ Co-Screenwriter Hampton Fancher and Co-Screenwriter David Peoples; Producer Michael Deely and production executive Katherine Haber

* Commentaries by visual futurist Syd Mead; production designer Lawrence G. Paull, art director David L. Snyder and special photographic effects supervisors Douglas Trumbull, Richard Yuricich and David Dryer

* Dangerous Days: Making Of Blade Runner Documentary

* 1982 Theatrical Version

* 1982 International Version

* 1992 Director's Cut

* Featurette The Electric Dreamer: Remembering Philip K. Dick

* Featurette Sacrificial Sheep: The Novel vs. The Film

* Philip K. Dick: The Blade Runner Interviews (Audio)

* Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep Cover Gallery (Images)

* The Art of Blade Runner (Image Galleries)

* Featurette Signs of the Times: Graphic Design

* Featurette Fashion Forward: Wardrobe & Styling

* Screen Tests: Rachel & Pris

* Featurette The Light That Burns: Remembering Jordan Cronenweth

* Unit Photography Gallery

* Deleted & Alternate Scenes

* 1982 Promotional Featurettes

* Trailers & TV Spots

* Featurette Promoting Dystopia: Rendering the Poster Art

* Marketing & Merchandise Gallery (Images)

* Featurette Deck-A-Rep: The True Nature of Rick Deckard

* Featurette Nexus Generation: Fans & Filmmakers

* Workprint Version of the Film -- This rare version of the film is considered by some to be the most radically different of all the Blade Runner cuts.

* Workprint Version Commentary by Paul M. Sammon, author of Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner

* Featurette All Our Variant Futures: From Workprint to Final Cut

Correct - for the foreseeable DVD is fine.

As for the cost apsect, the same applies - it is probably cheaper to produce 4 DVD's than one BluRay - but the curves will cross over eventually with economies of scale.

As said though, when that point is, is anyones guess.

As a BluRay player, PS3 is mighty attractive if that's your bag.

At the current time, 360 is miles ahead in terms of games over the PS3 and the Wii. That won't last forever though. All three is the only answer.

As an aside I really don't get people saying "oh it's too much money" we have all, and I mean all, spent ridiculous amounts on gaming - Spending another £400 on a console really isn't a massive amount in the scheme of things.

I'm not even sure why I'm comming in here to reply, it's ridiculous theorhetical question circular debates threads like this that made me take a sabbatical from this place.

"If you had to choose"... Well, I don't have to. Nor do most people here.

I agree with all of that and its what I've cited before myself.

The ps3 is in a market where it cannot yet flourish. It'll find its stride, but the market is working more heavily against it than ANYONE anticipated.