Nail your flag to a mast

Didn't Jack Tretton more or less say that Sony have paid for exclusivity?

No, he said they hadn't paid, actually. Sony don't do that, remember? :)

What he actually said was, as far as he's aware, Kojima is only working on a PS3 version and it'll be the only version on the shelf when it's released. The rumours state a different team is working on the 360 version as Konami's bigwigs are desperate to get it out on another formatso they make some money.

Not this again. You don't seem to have any real understanding of how game engines work. It's down to the developers, the way the engine has been coded and what's going on behind the scenes. Factor in development time, budget, R&D and coder skill.

Does GT5 calculate damage for each of those cars simultaneously? No, it doesn't even have damage - Forza 2 does, and happily applies it to the cars it draws on-screen. Whether damage is important or not is irrelevant - It's just an example of the differences between both game engines and that they each do things entirely different.

Processing power has little to do with it, especially with this generation of hardware.

I appreciate all that....but irrelvent as it is....

Does Forza 2 have real replays - no. Turn 10 can't do them. The graphics engine doesn't allow it - only certain cam angles.

GT has always had them - and from pretty much any angle Poly wanted.

Has Poly said they will have downloadable damage - yes.

SO you think that once you'll download damage you'll have less cars?

I'd doubt it.

Its my belief coders haven't had time to get to grips with the PS3, whereas they have with the 360.

No, he said they hadn't paid, actually. Sony don't do that, remember? :)

O RLY?

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/07/27/...ive-to-the-ps3/

This is Michael Shorrock. I’m the Director of 3rd Party Relations at SCEA. As you may have seen this morning/last night on GameHead with Geoff Keighley, we are announcing that a new franchise from Rockstar Games will be exclusive to PS3. As part of our long standing relationship with Rockstar, and the incredible success for both companies with the cultural icon that is Grand Theft Auto, we’ve agreed to the PlayStation exclusive rights of the next great franchise from the Rockstar studios.

Everyone knows to have success in this business you need to look ahead, identifying the talent and titles that are going to give consumers new kinds of gaming experiences that help set the bar for the rest of the industry. Rockstar has a heritage for doing just that. We have had incredible success with the GTA franchise and are happy to continue to offer those titles on our platforms, and even more excited about what’s to come from the current and future relationship between our companies. Rockstar really wanted to make a game that you can truly only do on PS3, harnessing the power of CELL and Blu-ray disc and this deal lets them do just that.. This is really a win-win situation for both companies. As Jack mentioned in the interview with Geoff, this franchise is not LA Noire, but something all new. We agreed with Rockstar and Take-Two Interactive Software that we wouldn’t disclose anything more about the deal or title at this time, so stay tuned, we’ll share more info as soon as we can.

I wasn't going to buy a console this generation, but the lure of Test Drive Unlimited and it's true 'next gen' driving around an island online ethos was proving to be quite strong.

Still I held out though, because at the back of my mind I thought that I would end up with a PS3 at launch, albeit mostly for GTA IV when it eventually came out. Then the release of the PS3 was put back for the UK. Next, Sony seemed to have found the unpalatable stockpile of arrogance and disdain for their customers that Nintendo had currently divested itself of and buried in a desert somewhere and, of course, GTA is no longer a time-limited exclusive to Sony.

I can't see any 'must haves' on the PS3 horizon - not even MGS 4, and its (from a very brief first look, admittedly) stilted, not-really-moved-on-at-all gameplay and animation - and I hope it stays this way as I really don't want to have to buy another console this time round, particluarly after owning most of them last gen.

This is Michael Shorrock. I’m the Director of 3rd Party Relations at SCEA. As you may have seen this morning/last night on GameHead with Geoff Keighley, we are announcing that a new franchise from Rockstar Games will be exclusive to PS3. As part of our long standing relationship with Rockstar, and the incredible success for both companies with the cultural icon that is Grand Theft Auto, we’ve agreed to the PlayStation exclusive rights of the next great franchise from the Rockstar studios.

Everyone knows to have success in this business you need to look ahead, identifying the talent and titles that are going to give consumers new kinds of gaming experiences that help set the bar for the rest of the industry. Rockstar has a heritage for doing just that. We have had incredible success with the GTA franchise and are happy to continue to offer those titles on our platforms, and even more excited about what’s to come from the current and future relationship between our companies. Rockstar really wanted to make a game that you can truly only do on PS3, harnessing the power of CELL and Blu-ray disc and this deal lets them do just that.. This is really a win-win situation for both companies. As Jack mentioned in the interview with Geoff, this franchise is not LA Noire, but something all new. We agreed with Rockstar and Take-Two Interactive Software that we wouldn’t disclose anything more about the deal or title at this time, so stay tuned, we’ll share more info as soon as we can.

Go to the top of the page

Rockstar games presents ... Horseshoe throwing. You heard it here first.

I appreciate all that....but irrelvent as it is....

Its my belief coders haven't had time to get to grips with the PS3, whereas they have with the 360.

Thats all it is though- belief.

Last gen coders had reason to push and persevere with the PS2- it was the dominant format.

Now until they bother and its in a finished product really showing the power- whether the machine can push a lot more forward is speculation and a list of spec sheets. MGS4 was said to be optimised and made just for the PS3 and yet it looks like nothing mindblowing (while it does look great).

How is that related to you saying Jack Tretton paid for MGS4 exclusive?

Was the sarcasm of my "Sony don't do that" comment lost on you?

:lol:

I wasn't going to buy a console this generation, but the lure of Test Drive Unlimited and it's true 'next gen' driving around an island online ethos was proving to be quite strong.

The 360's TDU is one of the games of the generation so far, if you ask me.

I'm now the proud owner of a PS3. I was never going to buy both consoles on top of my Wii, and if the Elite had come with a built-in HD-DVD drive, I might have had more trouble deciding between the two, as I was really after a HD movie player as much as I was a games console at this stage.

I never liked Halo. In fact, I can honestly say I found it to be RUBBISH, so Halo 3 means nothing to me. I only got the original Xbox because it was a modded one. Nope, the only thing that can make me cry over my decision now is if Rare have a turnaround in form and make the new Banjo-Kazooie game as wonderful as the original. I decided to gamble on them not doing so...

But I have to say, the PS3 has exceeded my expectations, and instead of it being a rather expensive impulse buy, I'm enjoying it and the choice cuts of its humble games library more than I could have ever hoped. I appreciate that there's a lot about the 360 to appeal to others, but it failed to appeal to me ever since it launched - maybe with the exception of when I opportunistically preordered Guitar Hero II for about £35 from Choices. That was the closest I ever came to genuinely considering getting one, and I'm pretty sure it will now be the last time.

Has Poly said they will have downloadable damage - yes.

No.

They've said that the car manufacturers won't agree to it, so it'll ship without damage. If they can get their permission at a later date though, they'll add it via a download.

So, at the mo, GT5 will have no damage and it won't effect how the car drives on the track. The real driving simulator, eh?

I'm in a quandry at the mo'.

Undoubtedly, the 360 is offering me more of the games I want to play, whilst the overall package of a PS3 (well, a US PS3) seems to almost balance it all out.

I'm just holding fire at the moment, awaiting with bated breath what's unfolding in the pricing situation. My PC does most of the good stuff for me at present, whilst my PS2 still offers me unrivalled gaming fun really.

Still, over the next few months, I'm fairly certain end results of any purchase are going to be made based on the reviews coming in of all those anticipated games (well, on the 360 at least. I'm still now really aware of any game on the PS3 that's capturing my attention at present...MGS4 was a bit of a let down if truth be told, and after seeing Heavenly Sword in action, I've become a little bit jaded in that area aswell...)

QUOTE(Napole0n

)

So why doesn't Polyfony get permission while in Forza you can ram pretty much any brand to smithereens?

This is the thing. In the orignal Forza 2 engine the cars could flip over and end up on their roofs but Turn 10 had to limit the engine so this didn't occur because the car manufactures said so so really Poly don't have an excuse (unless in Japan its enforced more strictly and Poly, being typically japanese were more respectful to the compaines).

Plus i gather with the GT engine it was an afterthought whereas turn 10's crach physics were already there.

If GT dont bring the physics and AI to Forza levels they can forget it. Its also plays a big part in my decision for the Ps3 full stop.

PS3 because:

01) Its a Blu-Ray player as well as a console.

02) Built-in Wi-Fi at no extra cost.

03) Backwards compatibility is better than 360's.

04) It's games are region free.

05) Costs nothing to play online.

06) Stronger JPN developer support

07) Connectivity options i.e. Compact Flash, SD Card, Memory Stick, Blue Tooth, USB 2.0

08) Its not going to break after a few days of ownership.

09) It's doesn't sound like a jet engine when on.

10) Build quality is far superior to 360.

11) 2008 line up eat's n' shits the 360's.

Nuff said, really.

Oh dear, what 2008 PS3 line up is this then? I'll be playing Halo 3 right the way through 08, i'll survive without buying sony's shite until they do a proper god of war ps3. Until then my machine shall remain dormant.

Nah, I get what Cactuar Cat is saying, (I think).

It's about choice - with the 360 you can chose to pay extra if you want HD-DVD playing capability. With the PS3 you're forced to pay for Blu Ray whether you want it or not.

Yeah, but if you want HD DVD you still have to pay for a seperate unit, while with a PS3 the Bluray comes in the box. It IS a selling point, although maybe not a selling point you're interested in.

I think the point he is making is giving the consumer choice.

Blu-ray is a cheap/bargain aspect of the PS3- but again, only if you're interested in it. It is not a mass market selling point, but defo worth sony putting it in as it allows a huge edge over hd-dvd competitively.

Its more of a business decision to extend Sonys media reach rather than a feature put in to benefit the Playstation side of thing, but Sony is a business. Works out great for some people- ie v cheap high quality blu ray player, and works out more expensive for others, ie people who just want to play gta and fifa.

Win and lose situation really, but its in there now and no longer worth moaning about. Putting it as a primary and huge selling point to everyone here is also presumptious though and shows how desperate the ps players are to sell it to everyone else. Put bluntly, a lot of people including posters here just dont give a fuck about blu-ray.

Yes, but it's a crucial component of the system so this 'choice' thing is a bit moot.

I'm convinced we'll see the time that BluRay with it's higher storage capacity will be used, and then you're glad you paid the few extra bob for it. Looking at the current pricing of the PS3 vs the Elite 360 and keeping a pricecut in the run-up to Christmas in mind, I think it's getting a better deal by the day. Personally I think I would have preferred the 360 (or at least the Elite) to have a HD DVD as standard actually.

Yes, but it's a crucial component of the system so this 'choice' thing is a bit moot.

It really isn't. If you mean games being on blu-ray, had sony not had the media/movie side of the format I doubt they would have bestowed 25 gig media on us out of the kindness of their own hearts.

If games like Resident Evil 5, GTA4 and Call of Duty 4 are fine on dvd, then if Sony exclusive games had to have been on dvd, they would have found a way around it.

Look at the PS3 version of the darkness, more low res movies on a crappy tv lol.

Some of the biggest, best looking and most immesive games this year will have nothing to do with blu-ray disc.

And unless a developer comes here and tells me otherwise, I doubt having a huge storage format will do anything special. If the stuff doesnt fit, just compress it (most people wont cry at losing 7.1 HD sound) or multidisc it.

It is a crucial part of the system. When the PS2 came out, a lot of the first games also appeared on CD's instead of DVD's.

But after a couple of years it became necessary.

I think BluRay will be exploited, and I think it's a good thing it's in there. It might be a bit more expensive now, but at least you know it'll be 'future proof'. With the DVD format, we have to guess.

And yes, you don't need 50GB (or 25GB) to make a great game. But it'll sure come in handy.

But if you realise at this moment you only pay about 20 euro's extra for BluRay and 40 extra GB HD when you get a PS3 (with the 2 games and extra controller) compared to a 360, I don't see how this could be a problem financially.

It is a crucial part of the system. When the PS2 came out, a lot of the first games also appeared on CD's instead of DVD's.

But after a couple of years it became necessary.

I think BluRay will be exploited, and I think it's a good thing it's in there. It might be a bit more expensive now, but at least you know it'll be 'future proof'. With the DVD format, we have to guess.

Not the same thing clearly. The other big player in the market also went dvd.

And the gamecube didnt suffer by having lower capacity discs. Stuff like res evil 4 just went two discs.

Point is, between the wii and 360 games out there on dvd, blu-ray is small fry. Unless the ps3 gets to ps2 sales, it'll only be utitlised by first party games to justify all the hoo haa saying how amazing it will be for gaming.

DVD became the standard- blu-ray I doubt will.

Im fine with being proved wrong, but I'd rather sony showed off what the cell can do rather than have more content on the disc just because its bigger.