IGNORED

New PSP

NonShinyGoose

Sony has unveiled a new model PSP at its E3 - the new console is 33 per cent lighter, slimmer, has a more efficient battery and will produce quicker load times, according to Sony boss Kaz Hirai. You can also connect it up to a TV, but it looks like you have to buy an extra cable. :lol:

Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) today unveiled an enhanced design for PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system (PSP-2000) that has a more streamlined form factor and a video-out port which will become available in stores from September in Japan, North America and Europe.

While succeeding the basic functions and design philosophy of the current PSP including a 4.3 inch wide high resolution LCD screen, overwhelmingly large for a handheld device, new PSP is 33 percent lighter and 19 percent slimmer than the original version, making the all-in-one handheld entertainment system even easier to carry around at approx.189g in weight (weight of current model is approx.280g) and approx.18.6mm in thickness (thickness of current model is approx.23.0 mm).

Adding a video-out port(*1) enables new PSP users to experience high quality UMD™ (Universal Media Disc) Video, pictures and movies from Memory Stick Duo and game software titles(*2) on their TVs at home. Also, new PSP is equipped with enhanced feature to temporarily store game data from UMD, reducing load time during game play(*3). Moreover, the ability to charge the unit through PLAYSTATION®3 or PC via USB cable during data transfer is newly equipped(*4), further positioning PSP as a true handheld device.

A new PSP comes in three basic colors of “Piano Black”, “Ceramic White”, and “Ice Silver” to meet a variety of lifestyle and preferences for all ages(*5).

During the two and a half years since the launch of PSP in December, 2004 strong support from users worldwide as well as an abundance of exciting software titles from publishers around the world have resulted in PSP achieving cumulative shipment of 25 million units for the hardware and 100 million units for software titles worldwide by March, 2007. The expansion of the PSP platform is being boosted worldwide along with its exciting lineup of software titles as well as the introduction of color variations.

SCEI will continue to further expand the PSP platform and create a new world of computer entertainment with innovative and exciting new titles and a new PSP.

It really needs a better screen. The original PSP's was beautiful back in the day, but after you've played a DS Lite the dull, smeary PSP one seems like a throwback from a previous generation. Sod all these other 'enhancements'...

I think it looks great. Shit it hasn't got anything to protect the screen or a hard drive, but high quality video out and the overall improvements in load times, battery performance and weight are all good.

I can't belive some people don't think it's good news to have the video out thing. Remember the add-on you needed for the GBA adaptor on the Cube? I even made a short career in shipping back convertors for the Panny Q.

As long as the picture quality is up to par it's brilliant news.

Not sure what it'sll do for sales though seeing as it has almost exactly the same form?

Sony has unveiled a new model PSP at its E3 - the new console is 33 per cent lighter, slimmer, has a more efficient battery and will produce quicker load times, according to Sony boss Kaz Hirai. You can also connect it up to a TV, but it looks like you have to buy an extra cable. :lol:

Hurrah! We can all stick to our PS2s then :lol:

But what it actually needed was a better screen, a better shape, better buttons and a scratch and smear resistant coating.

And some games to play on it.

May as well post this here too:

The major fuck up for me (apart from Chewie) was the PSP, why did they even bother? The main problem with the PSP wasnt the weight, it was the dire controls and awkward shape. I was really hoping for a redesign like the DS went through that would of made me look forward to spunking $199 dollars on it. Its a shame as there are some great games out there for the PSP, if we could just control them properly.

.::: Yeah, was expecting a lot more from this. This isn't in line with their PSone and slimline PS2 redesigns as well. It's basically the same. Although I know of persons who'd like the TV-option.

*sigh*

All I wanted was a normal d-pad...

Ive been playing loads of PSP this week and after playing on my DS for so long the PSP just looks amazing still.

I am geniuely dissapointed in the negative attitudes of the forum to the PSP, theres no need for it, it is a great machine.

.::: There's no need indeed.

But at the end of the day it's this:

070605.jpg

I want to love the PSP, but it's not working out. I've tried rekindling the fire for god knows how many times. The thing just isn't as compelling to me as the DS. It makes me a bit sad...

Ive been playing loads of PSP this week and after playing on my DS for so long the PSP just looks amazing still.

I am geniuely dissapointed in the negative attitudes of the forum to the PSP, theres no need for it, it is a great machine.

It is amazing, you just cant control or play the fucker for more than 10mins.

As long as the new screen has a faster refresh rate, so gets rid of the ghosting, I'll get one. Then I can downgrade my current one to 1.5 and put back on a load of emulator and rRootage.

I was expecting more of a redesign, but Sony are obviously of a mindset that once they've designed a bit of hardware, it's so iconic, it would be counter productive to change it. Even if using it gives you ow-ies on your hand.

Other than changing the nub, how exactly could they redesign this to be significantly different, and why would they want to? It's a screen with the D-pad and nub on one side, the 4 iconic PS buttons on the other and two shoulder buttons. Given the size of the huge screen [a nice thing, of course], there's little they can do with it. It's not a home console.

You can also connect it up to a TV, but it looks like you have to buy an extra cable. -_-

Nah, the cable looked the as the one that came with my Sony Digital Camera (the connector looked identical), I would expect it in the box.

Still, it's a totally pointless update.

now that u can hook it up to a telly, they should release a PS2 joystick adapter for the remote control thingy so that you can control things a better

-_-

"The PSP, portable gaming so good, you need a joypad and a TV to enjoy it"

I'm torn about this. I only recently invested in a PSP, thinking that there was no chance Sony would actually go through with this. For a moment when I heard the confirmation, I was considering trading mine in - but as I don't need the TV-Out function, well, it isn't much of an improvement. I would wait to see how much of an improvement they've made on the power consumption too; i.e. immediately disregarding the bullshit Sony will give us and wait till a Mukker has their mitts on one to let us know.