Hubertus Bigend

Tennis

Yeah Osaka was much the better player but this is going to go down to Williams losing it rather than her winning it which absolutely wasn’t the case.

Fucking Serena Williams.  She's always been an entitled baby, and she's ruined the biggest moment of Naomi Osaka's career.  The crowd booed the presentation of the trophy to Osaka.  Absolutely shameful.

It seems she feels she has to apologise to the crowd for winning.  Good grief.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

The US commentators on Twitter are running with "this would never have happened to a male player" and/or "the umpire made himself the centre of attention". Coaching violations are inconsistently applied but once that's through I can't see what else the umpire could have done. 

Watching this this morning, it's disgraceful and she needs to apologise for her behaviour and subsequent comments. 

She was legitimately and correctly penalised, and acted like a spoiled brat.

She ruined the greatest moment of her opponent's career, had no respect for that or for the sport. Completely lacking in sportsmanship; she should be banned for some time, and she needs to publicly acknowledge why she was wrong before she's allowed back on a court.

• Upvote 7

I’ve always had a fair amount of time for Ramos as an umpire. He’s often had abuse hurled at him, but he remains cool and impassive.

And bloody good that he called out the coaches for their tactics. If this helps stamp it out, then I’m all for it.

What was low was Serena playing the 'I'm doing it for my daughter and for women's equality" card. Then threatening the ref by saying he will never be on the court again. What self righteousness.

Fuck off you bad loser.

• Upvote 7

Absolutely disgraceful behaviour from Serena and she has previous form for this on this very same court in the final against Clijsters. I feel bad for Osaka, what should be a celebration of a new and amazing talent has been completely overshadowed by Serena's disgusting behaviour and not only that but the American press and ex tennis pros are all defending her, it's ridiculous, Ramos did nothing wrong he followed the rule book, it's not his fault other umpires don't follow the rule book when they should. Serena should face disqualification, fines and a ban if it was up to me. And fuck the crowd, disgusting behaviour, The US Open really is the worst of the slams by a mile.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Minion said:

Absolutely disgraceful behaviour from Serena and she has previous form for this on this very same court in the final against Clijsters. I feel bad for Osaka, what should be a celebration of a new and amazing talent has been completely overshadowed by Serena's disgusting behaviour and not only that but the American press and ex tennis pros are all defending her, it's ridiculous, Ramos did nothing wrong he followed the rule book, it's not his fault other umpires don't follow the rule book when they should. Serena should face disqualification, fines and a ban if it was up to me. And fuck the crowd, disgusting behaviour, The US Open really is the worst of the slams by a mile.

The french open can be very similar on occasion :( 

3 minutes ago, JoeK said:

The french open can be very similar on occasion :( 

The Roland Garros crowd can be cruel but they are also very knowledgeable about the game and they wouldn't boo through a trophy ceremony like the New York crowd last night, it's pretty disgusting.

1 minute ago, Minion said:

The Roland Garros crowd can be cruel but they are also very knowledgeable about the game and they wouldn't boo through a trophy ceremony like the New York crowd last night, it's pretty disgusting.

That's true - I didn't see the match, so hadn't picked up on that charming piece of info. 

I've been away so only just watched this. Pretty amazing stuff. My main response is disappointment, mostly for Osaka, but also for the way Serena reacted. I think she's brilliant in many ways, but let herself down badly here. I think when the dust settles she will accept that she got this one wrong. Each of the punishments were merited and by the book, and you could see in Ramos' face that he didn't want to do it but felt he had no option. Horrible situation for him too.

That said, I don't interpret it as a sense of entitlement, or even that it was being a bad loser (she was winning that set when it kicked off, and still had a decent chance). I think it was just an exceptionally tense and emotional situation. She genuinely (but incorrectly) seemed to feel the victim of a mistake; the decisions and resulting punishments escalated rapidly, and she responded very poorly.

• Upvote 5

Writers are now making it all about Serena and her hardships throughout her life, no doubt all are true being a black woman in sport, and I've witnessed myself tons of comments aimed at her in a nasty way.

However, this wasn't about that. This was about her being wrong to an umpire that is nothing but consistent. Evidence suggests he tows this line to all players, male, female, black, white. But of course, high level journalists and sports stars are all back slapping each other whilst rushing to praise Serena with Osaka seemingly forgotten. It's embarrassing in every way and if you disagree with them, you're obviously a racist, despite Osaka being half Japanese and half Haitian. 

Edit, now Lineker has waded in and the circle is complete. 

She's been fined $17,000. $3,000 for racket abuse, $4,000 for coaching and $10,000 for verbal abuse.

This will be deducted from her $1.85 million prize.

22 minutes ago, JohnC said:

She's been fined $17,000. $3,000 for racket abuse, $4,000 for coaching and $10,000 for verbal abuse.

This will be deducted from her $1.85 million prize.

Krygios was banned and fined higher when he made disgusting comments about Stan on the court and accused of tanking but Ramos was being sexist? It's crazy, The Guardian have a story about other decisions he's made against other players like he is some evil nutjob, he's just doing his job!

It's all getting a bit much now. They are making it all about a black woman's threat to the white males society whilst conveniently ignoring the fines handed out to many male players in the past. They are ignoring the hate Murray for for joking about being onto Scottish, ignoring every little thing in the face of their agenda. 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

What was low was Serena playing the 'I'm doing it for my daughter and for women's equality" card. Then threatening the ref by saying he will never be on the court again. What self righteousness.

Fuck off you bad loser.

The quote was :- 'I’ve seen other men call other umpires several things. I’m here fighting for women’s rights and for women’s equality and for all kinds of stuff.'

All kinds of stuff......     

To have the outburst on court I could sort of go fine, people who compete at top level sport are competitive and sometimes being that competitive has a flip side that you sometimes don't quite control.  

To try and turn it, into some bigger moral crusade agenda is disgusting.  She was out there fighting for herself in a 1-1 tennis match with another woman and she wanted to win and got carried away there is less shame in that.  If she wanted a moral crusade she could have raised this issue after the match in a way that was respectful to all involved, she certainly has the power/status to be able to do so.

Using your power/reputation to threaten someone's career, and thinking that is in any way acceptable, that is entitlement pure and simple.    

Most sports have issues with inconsistency of officiating, football it is constantly a problem, this was nothing more.         

The one thing this has made me think is that fines dished out for behaviour during tournaments should be scaled against the winnings the player (male or female) makes from that tournament.

• Upvote 3