rllmuk

Anyone listening to Originals?

Just put it on, Sex Shooter and Jungle Love are a very good opening duo.

Next up is Manic Monday.

It's lovely to hear old Prince stuff. Ordered the CD release from Amazon already too.

• Upvote 2

Sex Shooter is amazing, it’s now a gay anthem.

Interestingly I never picked up before that the underscoring on that track is essentially Erotic City, comes across very clear in that version.

So here are my notes on this ‘new’ Prince album, I signed up for a free Tidal trial so I could give it a listen.

TLDR: It’s essential, buy it! I hope this sells well, as I can only imagine how many of these originals are stored in the Vault, and they all need to be heard.

Sex Shooter: As I said above, flipping the vocal gender on this makes the track utterly delicious, before you even get to Prince’s great performance. Just wonderful.

Jungle Love: Not quite as good as The Time, but it’s got an effervescence all of its own, and it’s Prince doing Jungle Love. Oh my!

Manic Monday: A pale foreshadow of the Bangles interpretation, it’s a great track and while Prince certainly doesn’t spoil it, he doesn’t bring anything essential to it either.

Noon Rendezvous: It’s always been a great tune, but the sort of Princey thing you either love or hate. I love it, but I love Sheila E doing it more.

Make-Up: Amazing gender-switch trash. Basically I want to hear Prince doing every Vanity 6 / Apollonia 6 track ever, this couldn’t be any more up my street if it tried.

100MPH: I never had much time for Maserati, this is OK but still not really for me - at least compared with other tracks on here. It's Prince treading Princewater.

You’re My Love: i’ve never heard this before, apparently Prince gave it to Kenny Rogers? It is just fabulous. One of the best tracks on the album.

Holly Rock: Utterly infectious. Utterly wonderful. It is what it always was, Prince pretending to be Sheila E.

Baby You’re A Trip: This is lovely, very different to the Jill Jones joint, has a kind of a Stax showcase feel to it, smashing keys on this, and Prince just rips it up in the way you’d expect him to rip it up, sings every note in the shop and then orders some more.

The Glamorous Life: Not sure how I feel about this, as the original I regard as sacrosanct. it’s (barring a couple of notes and backing vocals) exactly as Sheila E’s crew did it (same musicians?) and with Prince being pedestrian Prince on the vocals I think it loses a lot. Just makes you wish you were listening to Sheila E really. But then i feel that way about most music! The backing keyboard stabs are worth hearing though.

Gigolos Get Lonely Too: Holy shit. What was a fairly average Morris Day vocal performance is elevated beyond all expectation by Prince’s more relaxed take. Spot on.

Love…Thy Will Be Done: Was better with Martika.

Dear Michelangelo: Arguably the highlight of Romance 1600 - which is, as everyone knows, the greatest album ever made. Not entirely pointless, but once again it just makes you wish you were listening to Sheila E instead. If you’ve never heard that version, you’ll probably like this a lot.

Wouldn’t You Love to Love Me? A rocktastic interpretation of the Taja Sevelle classic, which loses the majority of its spritzy 80s fizz as a result. Not bad at all, just a bit plodding by comparison, and not really for me if given a choice between the two. Gets catchy towards the end, but fades out just when the interesting stuff starts happening.

Nothing Compares 2 U: The Family did the only version of this worth listening to.

Many thanks to @Adrock for bringing this to my attention!

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, ZOK said:

Romance 1600 - which is, as everyone knows, the greatest album ever made

Interesting. Always been more of a Glamorous Life man, myself.

40 minutes ago, Nequests said:

Interesting. Always been more of a Glamorous Life man, myself.

Much as I love that album (the first album I ever bought, coincidentally!) I prefer the more chaotic orchestration and ultrasharp drums of Romance 1600.

The Glamorous Life is one of my all time favourite songs.

Looking forward to the wider release of this next week, I'd also immediately buy an album of Jungle Love covers if any compilation people at record labels are brainstorming.

On 09/06/2019 at 12:52, ZOK said:

The Glamorous Life: Not sure how I feel about this, as the original I regard as sacrosanct. it’s (barring a couple of notes and backing vocals) exactly as Sheila E’s crew did it (same musicians?) and with Prince being pedestrian Prince on the vocals I think it loses a lot. Just makes you wish you were listening to Sheila E really. But then i feel that way about most music! The backing keyboard stabs are worth hearing though.

I disagree, I much prefer Prince's vocal even though it's not his best performance. I've been listening to both to compare over the last couple of days.

Prince's rendition is less busy, especially considering Prince is basically backing up Shiela E throughout her release. Without that I prefer it.

Prince singing a placeholder on an amazing song is always going to be wonderful, but the ‘original’ is simply in a class of its own.

I may not be a reliable and impartial judge on this, mind you - I can’t listen to The Glamorous Life without being moved to tears by its sublime beauty around 98 times in a hundred. 

Listening really closely to the original I reckon the backing by Prince is basically what was used for this new release.

That would explain why there was less of a unique Prince take on it. That's how I'm convincing myself today anyway.

Today I've decided Shiela E's version is better and after sitting down with my headphones I'm almost certain the Prince backing track is what they've used for Originals.

On further listening to Originals there is some excellent stuff throughout.

Very happy this was released, I might buy the CD and LP package.

That’s really interesting - do you think the whole track is the same then, but mixed differently? Because the backing keys are clearly different sounding, but I can’t tell now if that’s because they’ve been mixed far down and Sheila E’s drumming right up in the proper version. I’m listening in my iPhone headphones so can’t distinguish it.

Isn’t it also more likely it’s a just guide vocal though like some of the others included?

I think it's a straight up remix, there are a few bits of the Prince backing on Shiela's that sound identical to the Prince version.

He was working very closely with Shiela E at the time, so he may never have actually recorded it alone. Not like the songs he provided for others anyway.

In addition to that, I would like to point out that Purple Music has also finally had an official release. Definitely one of the best bootlegs that has been knocking around, and just shows you how perfect 1999 is that it didn’t make the cut. There’s more ideas in this ten minutes than most people have in a career, and also features Prince doing that thing where he says YISS.

https://open.spotify.com/track/7xBLweURH2SSsyI72UGRCe?si=ywzgjioCTTWeIq33zgcM9A

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I've been taking my time absorbing the discs of new stuff I'm the 1999 boxset. Other music acquisitions have had to take back seat for the time being as this particular Prince era was his peak to me.

Purple Music changed everything when I first heard it. Imagine being a youngster with a gnawing, growing taste for funk and hearing it pulse through the air.

The Feel U Up / Irresistible demos getting a lick of paint and finding their way onto here seems a bit strange though. I thought they dated from early 1980 and makes me wonder about other more period relevant material that they opted to withhold instead.

• Upvote 1