Damn this topic... I've now gone on a spending spree and got another 2 dates, both with floor seats, to add to my "gods" seat on the 10th August.

Question for those who've already been - what's the tranport situation like to and from o2? I read some horror story in the paper about getting off the docklands at the end of the opening night.....

Driving: you need to prebook parking tickets at £20 apiece. There aren't really any other easily accessible, guaranteed free parking spots close to the arena. Getting out of the carpark afterwards can take a while.

Tube. The last westbound tube goes at about 12:15pm. The station was very busy afterwards, obviously, but it seemed to be OK.

Taxis. You might want to pre-book, especially if you're going to the aftershow. There was a big queue, and not many taxis. There will be none hanging around at 3am. If you're just going to the main show, he finished at 11, and presumably there's a curfew to stop him overrunning that a long way.

Buses (and nightbuses) A crowd and a bit of a scramble for the 188 into town. Local buses were fine.

Getting there should be fine (where are you coming from?). Leaving is a bit more of a hassle. Last night was OK, because there weren't any film premieres at the cinema, nothing else at the Indigo, and the confusion over encores staggered peoples exit times a little.

Lots of signs threatening you'd be thrown out if you took photos. "This show is for your memories" according to Prince.

And the audience for the most part weren't exactly Flickr's demographic. Someone said the sound was too bassy and thats pretty much is, as I said I thought it got better as it whent on but Prince's vocals (imparticular him talking ad-lib) and guitar need to be a lot louder on the mix his guitar never got the screaming quality to it as the bass was always drowning it out. He looked like he had a few problems deciding what pedal to use sometimes as well...guess just a bit rusty.

Going tomorrow again and to be honest come Friday night I'll be probably going at least once more after that. I think closing night would be a good night to go for somthing special.

Sort out the sound and they'll have it near perfect.

Getting home was easy I was home within a hour from North Greenwich to Hainault tube station, no major crowds or waiting especially compared to the nightmare that was Muse at Wembley Stadium .

As others have said it is extremely intimate for an arena especially with the stage in the middle of the floor. Lower tier tickets are the way to go.

(I'll give you a text/call and a wave just before showtime if i remember Graham!)

Driving: you need to prebook parking tickets at £20 apiece. There aren't really any other easily accessible, guaranteed free parking spots close to the arena. Getting out of the carpark afterwards can take a while.

Tube. The last westbound tube goes at about 12:15pm. The station was very busy afterwards, obviously, but it seemed to be OK.

Taxis. You might want to pre-book, especially if you're going to the aftershow. There was a big queue, and not many taxis. There will be none hanging around at 3am. If you're just going to the main show, he finished at 11, and presumably there's a curfew to stop him overrunning that a long way.

Buses (and nightbuses) A crowd and a bit of a scramble for the 188 into town. Local buses were fine.

Getting there should be fine (where are you coming from?). Leaving is a bit more of a hassle. Last night was OK, because there weren't any film premieres at the cinema, nothing else at the Indigo, and the confusion over encores staggered peoples exit times a little.

Cheers for that - I'm coming up from the depths of Kent (East Malling)- although I'm going to be driving to Croydon, parking there and jumping on a train. Last train back to Malling is about 11.30, but trains run through the night to East Croydon.

Driving to the o2 and going through the blackwall tunnel would quite literally freak me out! ^_^

You don't need to take the Blackwall tunnel. The Dome is on the south side of the river, you just take the A20/A102 all the way here and turn off just before you get to the tunnel. Easy (aside from the parking fees...)

The roads around that part of London where never my strong point - thanks for that. Now to ponder the purchase of parking in Grenwich / driving to Croydon..... it'll probably work out cheaper slamming it at 02 than trains / NCP parking at Croydon....

Parking close to the venue is tricky unless you pay their extortionate fee. There's a tube station car park right beside it, but that always looks full when I go past on show nights. There's a nearby Sainsbury's / Odeon / B&Q car park 5 minutes walk away, but parking is limited to three hours for customers only and its getting more tightly enforced. Most of the rest of the peninsula is no parking / resident's parking. I'll ask the missus if she has any tips and post later tonight.

That was an amazing gig.

Although after reading further up that he came back on to play Corvette & rasb. beret when the lights had already come up has left me truly gutted.

for anyone who went last night, can you let me know what time the gig finished.

i've got tickets for fabric after and i could do with getting there for midnight.

for anyone who went last night, can you let me know what time the gig finished.

i've got tickets for fabric after and i could do with getting there for midnight.

Graham_S said in a previous post that the encore finished at 11.

A few more shots have appeared on Flickr, taken from the gods. View looks great, actually!

Stage looks awesome.

984272204_224a6b0840.jpg

:wacko:

My tickets are up in the gods so I'm pleased that it doesn't seem too bad a view.

Graham_S said in a previous post that the encore finished at 11.

yeah cheers ben, i just read his post actually. should leave me enough time to get there by 12 shouldn't it?

one other thing he mentioned was that block 111 looked like the best place to be, so i just checked my tickets and i'm in 111. nice!

yeah cheers ben, i just read his post actually. should leave me enough time to get there by 12 shouldn't it?

one other thing he mentioned was that block 111 looked like the best place to be, so i just checked my tickets and i'm in 111. nice!

You'll probably make it time by tube, but it will be tight if it takes you a long while to get a train. Just don't be tempted to leave before 11 when the house lights go up, in case you miss the best bit!

You'll see the stage from the same direction as the photo above was taken, but from close=up. Most of the show, Prince performs in the direction the arrow points, so you'll see him from side-on, but he spends a fair bit of time looking in your direction, and you're much closer to him than the equivalent seats at the front of the stage.

excellent. i'm really looking forward to this.

prince + the scratch perverts and jazzy jeff, should be a massive night.

so, sorry to take this a bit off topic but am i best chancing the tube back to fabric or should i grab a taxi?

so, sorry to take this a bit off topic but am i best chancing the tube back to fabric or should i grab a taxi?

I'd get the Tube. The queues for the taxis looked long unless you've got one booked to pick you up, and it's a long ride into town. Farringdon is an awkward tube station to get to though from North Greenwich, so you'll need to change twice, or get a bus (a 63 from Southwark or a 243 from Waterloo, perhaps?) or taxi once you're back in town.

I checked parking out this morning. The peninsula is mostly double yellows. However, residents parking areas are open to all from 6:30pm. There aren't many actually on the peninsula, but there are a handful of spaces around the millennium village (e.g. West Parkside SE10). Or you can try the cinema /supermarket car park on Bugsbys Way SE10 and pretend you're seeing a film. It's limited to three hours, so don't park up until 8:15pm, you'll have to hurry to catch Prince coming onstage. If you don't mind a longer walk (~20 mins, through an empty industrial wasteland), you could easily find somewhere south of Woolwich Road SE10 in East Greenwich. Just don't tell a load of people, as they'll nick the parking space in front of my house. You can get a bus to the dome Buses to North Greenwich tiube station, right next to the Dome from just about anywhere in the neighbourhood. It all depends how keen you are to avoid that £20 charge!

I checked parking out this morning........

Thanks for the heads up, Graham. I'm guessing it's crazy scenes/whacky races coming out of the 02 car park afterwards - anyone know if they have wardens guiding you in and out, or is it everyman for himself?

There are some parking attendants. Expect to be waiting in a jam for 20 mins or so before you get out. It all looks fairly orderly.

Apparently taxis are few and far between because the Blackwall Tunnel is down to a single southbound lane after 10:30pm at the moment, so it takes them an age to get back to the Dome after taking a fare to Canary Wharf or wherever.

That was an amazing gig.

Although after reading further up that he came back on to play Corvette & rasb. beret when the lights had already come up has left me truly gutted.

According to the papers he did another 2 songs after that.

According to the papers he did another 2 songs after that.

The final final final encore was:

Just Prince:

Little Red Corvette

Raspberry Beret

Sometimes It Snows in April

Prince and band:

Get On The Boat

Le Freak (Chic)

A Love Bizarre

Not sure of the order of the last three songs.

Another option for people getting home (especially if you go to the aftershow) is the Thames Clipper boat service to London Bridge and Waterloo. It costs £4 and runs until 4:30am. It takes half an hour to get to Waterloo. You can pre-book tickets via TicketMaster. Much better than queuing for a taxi into town.

fuckin' hell - if you're that worried just leave early!

Damn I caved in, I've bought tickets for the 20th of September.

I just couldn't resist in the end, and this time I'm going to make sure I am the last person to leave. I can't risk the possibility of missing out on Raspberry Beret again, no matter how late I get home.

(Sorry Graham got to the tube station and realised i hadn't gotten your number i got in a few minutes before hand so it wouldnt have mattered anyway. Missed two tubes -_- )

Not as good tonight I don't think. It would appear hes onyl gonna interchange a few songs at a time rather than offering a nearly completely different lineup everyone night. Had Purple Rain, Kiss, Lets go Crazy, You got the look and Take me with you off the top of my head.

Its crazy (no pun intended) that he does so many covers when he leaves so many classic songs off his setlist. It was ok yesterday as Come Together and Crazy were good. But we had another disco cover i cant rememeber the name of and Crazy again. The sound was better from where I was this time, his guitar was a lot louder on the mix which helped on lets go crazy, Purple Rain and Guitar. Also there was a nice 'rock' jam I think it was Anotherloverholenyohead where he did a nice few wanky guitar solos that only I seemed to be enjoying :) .

He teased us with some lyrics off Housequake during one of the disco covers I think, why oh why didnt he play it. :)

I think if I do go a third time it'll be much later in August or earlier in September, I'll watch how much the setlist evolves.

Although ive just read someone thought the setlist changed drastically so maybe im just moping over the abscense of When Doves Cry.

I thought it was... OK. Like you say, loads of covers and why-o-fucking-why did he feel the need to 'finish' about 7 times, fuck off the stage, wait 10 minutes to come back and not play Batdance :). Or perhaps, Raspberry Beret/Diamonds & Pearls/I wanna be your lover or any number of his own good songs.

Average.

01. Down By The Riverside

02. Satisfied

03. Cream

04. U Got The Look

05. Musicology

06. Play That Funky Music

07. Wonderful World

08. Joy In Repetition

09. Anotherloverholenyohead (feat. Rock Lobster)

10. Peach

11. Lolita

12. Black Sweat

13. Kiss

14. I Feel For You

15. Controversy (feat. Housequake chant)

Encore 1

16. Purple Rain

Encore 2

17. Crazy (feat. One Nation Under A Groove chant)

18. Let's Go Crazy

Encore 3

19. Take Me With U

20. Guitar.

Well, for the main show I had a great time. The sound was MUCH better, really good where I was, and I had an amazing seat, it was like being right next to him. Starting up with the horns (who were really something), and then Prince in low light singing in full falsetto/seduction mode was a complete change to the previous night, and he was singing and dancing and playing guitar beautifully, just like I imagined being up close at a Prince show would be. I was delighted he played Joy in Repetitition: back when I was fan it was impossible to get hold of bootlegs and stuff in my hometown, but I somehow managed to get some fifth-generation copy on an audiotape of a bunch of unreleased songs, and that was one of the best ones on it. It felt like it was a song only I knew about (which is obviously far from the truth, but it felt like that last night). It was good to see Anotherloverholenyohead with a load of guitar: basically they added some of the songs they did at the previous aftershow. Some of the later production numbers didn't do much for me, but then I'd already seen them once. I suppose now I've bought a load of tickets I'd better get used to them! Hope I don't get bored by the end of the run. Once they've got the show running smoothly, I'll be happy if they mix it up a bit more.

Sadly, I don't really think this show worked nearly as well for the rest of the crowd. Some people said that all the horns stuff at the beginning was a bit of a slow start, instead of starting with the hits like on the other night. Instead of having everyone up and dancing throughout, people were a bit more subdued (although not near me: me and the nice American woman in the seat next to me had a great time). It wasn't nearly as accessible. Plus it was about half an hour shorter. The encores didn't work as magically either. When the house lights came up for the first time, there was even some booing. Nobody made the mistake of leaving this time until it was definitely over. I think LittleJoe's and Looper's assessment was the general opinion.

The real disaster was saved for the aftershow. The word from the venue before booking tickets was that Prince's band would play them, and then Prince may or may not do a few songs. It was a nice, small venue, there was a good DJ, and the crowd were friendly. We were kept waiting outside for an hour for some reason. I get an amazing position, a few rows back just under Prince's mic and guitar. It's a long wait, and many people in the crowd have travelled a long way. It's hot and people seem tired. At 1am Dr John and his band come on. I always wanted to see Dr John (I always liked the theme tune from "Blossom"!), and even if Prince only does a single jam with him, that should be pretty memorable, especially from where I am.

Dr John plays a long, pretty good set, and people are fairly polite and respectful, even though it's clear what everyone is waiting for. About half an hour into his set. Prince technicians take his mic and guitar away to fiddle with backstage and don't bring it back. Eventually Dr John finishes, and he says Prince will be on to do his thang in a minute. But by 3:40am, nothing's happened. I'm hot, tired and thirsty. The crowd's down to a hardcore of nerdy lunatics. Someone checks behind the curtain before being pushed back by the bouncer: it's all dismantled. I go and find some venue management. He says that Prince fucked off home hours ago! And no-one tells the crowd: I have to tell a bunch of people myself, and we go home.

It was a shambles. I don't mind that Prince or his band didn't play. but the management should have said as soon as they knew that was going to be the case, and people could have just had a good time with the band and the DJ (or gone home), instead of cramming into a small space for hours looking at a curtain. No fun whatsoever, and has really put a dampener on my month-of-seeing-Prince-a-lot. Bah.

I enjoyed the horns doing down by the riverside, the Satisified/Cream bit was a bit weird as he was just wandering about the stage in the darkness. Dunno if it was a lighting fuck up or Prince just being wierd. That kinda killed the momentum for me. His Guitar was a lot better tonight too and the bass solo during Black sweat got the crowd a lot more hyped for it than Wednesday.

Also I was around more enthuiastic people on Wednesday, I had 4 drunk Scouser women infront of me two quieter women to my left who were keen to dance and a older couple who whilst not exactly into it were standing and clapping. Last night I was surrounded by people who kept on glancing at their watches and only put their drinks down during Kiss. Im no Prince fanatic and I'd know many of his songs outside Purple Rain and Sign'o'the times but for fucks sake get animated and try to enjoy yourself.

They need to close the bars during the performance as well too many people going in and out when they please. Won't happen but it would be nice...

Where were you seated Graham?