rllmuk

Prince announces London tour

(Tuesday May 08, 2007 03:13 PM)

LONDON (Reuters) - U.S. rock star Prince will play 21 concerts in London this autumn and plans to take time off music to study the Bible, he announced on Tuesday.

The innovative funk artist, who created such groundbreaking works as 1984's "Purple Rain" and 1987's "Sign O' The Times" and sold an estimated 80 million albums, made a brief appearance in the city to announce the gigs.

Outside Organization, a PR company helping to publicise the tour, said in a statement that Prince would be performing his greatest hits "for the very last time", but the artist did not confirm the claim.

Wearing dark shades, a high-collared purple shirt and cream suit, Prince explained why his only appearances in Europe this year would take place in London.

"I love London. I've had some of my favourite shows here."

Prince said he would be looking for a place to live for the duration of his stay.

He will charge 31.21 pounds per ticket, after his recent record "3121", with which he scored his first U.S. No. 1 album in almost 17 years in 2006.

"Last time I was here, a lot of people didn't get to see me, so we're trying to make it affordable for everybody," he said.

Barbra Streisand recently hit the headlines when tickets to her upcoming show at the 02 venue in London went on sale for up to 600 pounds each. Prince plans to open his London tour with seven nights at the same location, starting August 1.

Prince said he planned to change his show every night, meaning fans who came to several shows would get a broader cross section of his music.

"We play so many different styles of music, it's really hard to get a full dose of what we do unless you come to several shows. I also have a wide fan base that comes to multiple shows all the time."

He said he had learned about 150 songs from which to choose, and hinted that he may perform up-and-coming British singer Amy Winehouse's "Love is a Losing Game". Asked if he would ask her on stage to perform with him, he replied: "Absolutely".

Unsurprisingly for a performer who has had run-ins with the music establishment in the past, Prince referred to the industry as "the speculation business". He plans to give away copies of his new album to anyone attending the concerts.

"It's direct marketing and I don't have to be in the speculation business of the record industry, which is going through a lot of tumultuous times right now," he explained, when asked why he was giving his music away.

The 48-year-old, who said he was getting his inspiration these days from "prophets from the Bible", added that he did not expect to be back in London performing for some time after the 2007 visit.

"That's another reason why we're trying to stay so long. I just need to take some time off for study and travel." When asked what he was studying, he replied: "The Bible".

I'd love to see him too. I just never got around to seeing him as it was always arenas from about 1982 onwards (correct me if that's just rubbish).

He will charge 31.21 pounds per ticket, after his recent record "3121", with which he scored his first U.S. No. 1 album in almost 17 years in 2006.

"Last time I was here, a lot of people didn't get to see me, so we're trying to make it affordable for everybody," he said.

Such a philanthropist.

God, that 3121 website is useless and I can't see anything on ticketmaster. Could somebody tell me when and where he is playing and how much tickets are please. Meet?

1,3,4,7,10,11,14 Aug at the Dome (O2)

other nights and venues TBA

£31.21 inc a free CD

1,3,4,7,10,11,14 Aug at the Dome (O2)

other nights and venues TBA

£31.21 inc a free CD

See Barbra Streisand, you don't have to rip your fans off with tickets costing £600. You bitch.

Such a philanthropist.

To be fair though, with cunts like Sting charging upwards of sixty notes for The Police, and Madonna and that lot all charging silly money, it's refreshing that a star of Prince's fame is charging a reasonable amount for an arena show.

See Barbra Streisand, you don't have to rip your fans off with tickets costing £600. You bitch.

you go sister!!!

there is also a £6 booking and handling fee.

I'm going to have to give these ones a miss, sadly, with the new baby and all.

I've seen him a good few times already (including the Manchester One Night Alone gigs, where we were in at the soundcheck, with him asking us what he should play at the gig) so I'm pretty much at peace with not going.

If you haven't seen him - this is the only ticket worth buying this or any other year.

I'm going to have to give these ones a miss, sadly, with the new baby and all.

I've seen him a good few times already (including the Manchester One Night Alone gigs, where we were in at the soundcheck, with him asking us what he should play at the gig) so I'm pretty much at peace with not going.

If you haven't seen him - this is the only ticket worth buying this or any other year.

What's he like in person, Biglime?

I'm going to go, I think, if I can get tickets.

I've seen two of his gigs - one was on the Lovesexy tour, which was magnificent, and one was the tour around the 'Batdance' era, which was dreadful. The sight of Prince, stood on a piano, massacring 'Nothing Compares 2 U' is one I'm still trying to forget.

Still, if anyone's worth giving the benefit of the doubt to, it's Skipper.

and one was the tour around the 'Batdance' era, which was dreadful. The sight of Prince, stood on a piano, massacring 'Nothing Compares 2 U' is one I'm still trying to forget.

I think I saw that one from the very back of the NEC: the Nude tour. Such a disappointment when I was expecting something like the footage I'd watched of the Parade/ Sign O The Times / Lovesexy tours, which looked amazing.

My mate said he was pretty dreadful in the mid-90s too, and he was disappointed he wasn't playing the songs he loved.

I've been watching some youtube performances recently, and it looks like Prince has got his live mojo working again. I loved the Superbowl show.

Are you still a fan club member, biglime? What's the word on the smaller London dates?

Saw this, and basically creamed. Trying to convince my friends, only one of which is a real Prince fan, to make the effort. Be the perfect reward for graduating uni this summer.

I assume this is common knowledge but on the off chance anyone doesn't know:

http://blueroom.o2.co.uk/the-o2/prince.jsp

See Prince at The O2

A purple rain will descend over London throughout August. Performing his greatest hits 4 the last time, Prince will appear at The O2 on August 1st, 3rd, 4th, 7th, 10th, 11th and 14th.

As an O2 customer you've got the chance to beat the crowds and grab your tickets 24 hours before they go on general sale.

O2 priority tickets are available from 9am to 7pm Thursday 10th May. All tickets are priced £31.21 for the centre stage in the round Earth Tour. Every ticket includes a free copy of Prince’s brand new CD to take home on the night!

Where, when, how?

To buy your tickets early, you need a password. To get this, text 'CONCERT' to 2020.

Simply enter your password into the promotion code section of the Ticketmaster website when you click on the link below. But hurry, tickets are limited.

I assume this is common knowledge but on the off chance anyone doesn't know:

Thanks for the heads up - got Tickets for Friday 10th.

I saw him on the Gold Experience tour - he played nothing that anyone knew at all, other than "Most Beautiful Girl in the World" - 2 hours of funk workouts. Would be good to see him play some of his incredible back catalogue, and see him actually enjoy playing it. Looking at the youtube vids of the superbowl - it should be spectacular ;)