The Man Utd Thread

Not against teams of this quality, though!

Ya what? Beating almost everyone in the least and at their ground we drew 1-1, as well as leading before the red card. There are no other teams we can do this comparison against since we haven't played any of Madrid's standard recently.

Nah Keane was talking shite. He tried to claim Nani was wrong to assume he would ever get 20 yards of space in a football game. It's idiotically stupid to suggest that players never get time and space control high balls.

Honestly, who do you reckon knows more about getting red cards?

The red can and probably will be challenged, as Nani will otherwise serve a ban in Europe. I guess that will settle this argument about whether it was a dangerous /reckless challenge or not. It seems similar to me to the recent red against Carlton Cole which was overturned, so I would be of the opinion that it was only a yellow.

At 1-0 up we looked remarkably comfortable, having totally nullified Madrid's attack (I only counted one decent chance for them). Tactics and team selection were spot on. Such a shame that the game had to turn on a bad decision, especially after Madrid were very fortunate to avoid a red card in the first leg (Ramos elbowing Evans and Varanne bringing down Evra when he was through).

After the red card, Alonso and Ozil found the space we had so effectively denied them up to then, and their goals seemed inevitable.

Regarding Roy Keane you have to remember he's still extremely bitter about effectively being sacked after his infamous outburst on MUTV regarding some of the younger players at the time. He did make me laugh though as he was chastising Nani about dangerous play. Silly Roy. The whole decision was lacking common sense and he just carried that on.

As for the game :(

I thought we'd got everything spot on tactically and in terms of personal. They didn't really look like a team who was going to break us down up until after the sending off. I think Mourinho was spot in saying that the best team over two legs lost the tie. Never mind, those younger players will learn a hell of a lot from that. Welbeck was absolutely fantastic, again. Fully justified his selection over Rooney.

Lets hope we do the typical United thing and come back fighting starting on Sunday. I'm sure we will.

Should Keane not be able to say what he thinks then? Does that automatically mean he hates Man Utd?

I don't agree with him that it was a red card, although we've obviously "seen 'em given". But just because he thinks that doesn't mean he's being "bitter". He's always outspoken and often seems contrarian, so I don't see what's so surprising about his comments, or why he seems to be attracting such ire from Man Utd fans when he served the club impeccably as a player.

I can't believe he genuinely thought it was a good decision. Ferguson has very little time for Keane and vice versa, there's no doubt in my mind that he saw an opportunity to irritate his old boss, and took it gleefully. Probably the best central midfielder to have ever played for the club, yes, but he doesn't half make an idiot of himself as a pundit. Neville criticises the club too, for example with his consistent criticism of David de Gea, but never in an antagonistic way. He's far less petty, and you get the impression he's actually saying what he thinks.

Should Keane not be able to say what he thinks then? Does that automatically mean he hates Man Utd?

I don't agree with him that it was a red card, although we've obviously "seen 'em given". But just because he thinks that doesn't mean he's being "bitter". He's always outspoken and often seems contrarian, so I don't see what's so surprising about his comments, or why he seems to be attracting such ire from Man Utd fans when he served the club impeccably as a player.

Of course he can have his opinion, has can we as fans. He doesn't hate Man Utd at all, he's just massively bitter how he left. He's said bits in the press before and if you go to any fan site opinion is already split when it comes to Keane. It was different when he was playing for us because you forgave his misdemeanours and transgressions because he was such a bloody good footballer for us. Fickle football fans shocker!

I still love the guy though, he's probably my favourite player ever. Hell my dog Keano is named after him but he's still a little bitter about his exit and towards Fergie.

I think Neville verges on the other way really, he tries to find fault just so he doesn't come across as being bias at times. Some of his pops at De Gea have been embarrassing Especially the one when he said that everyone looked miserable which meant they didn't trust De Gea being a particular cringe worthy one.

Its a fine line and one that the majority of ex players turned pundits fail miserably at.

I have to say that Welbeck was great the other night. Jesus I wish he would do that every game. He really utilized his pace against Madrid running at them and in behind. Still needs to work on his finishing but hopefully he really starts to understand that his pace is probably his greatest strength and not dopey tricks and flicks. Was very happy to see him play well, long may it continue.

He was indeed. Also, I thought Rafael was incredible. He gave us such an attacking threat with loads of quality and pace on the ball. And solid defending (clearing off the line).

Heh, was this the incident where he should have been sent off for impersonating Superman?

He has definitely improved though, I think him and Carrick are decent shouts for our player of the year if you discount the obvious RVP talk. Certainly those two have been the most consistent, though I think Carrick is our most important player.

I was worried in the first leg that he hadn't learnt from that Munich game. In the first half at the Bernabeu where he was rash and lunging in, an early yellow card I was sure was going to lead to either a red or subbing off. Neither occurred, he composed himself and improved markedly in the second half.

He absolutely still does have brain farts like that Everton performance last season or strangely Reading away this (though he wasn't alone in either!), or times when he sells himself and gets skinned. However he has improved markedly to the stage where I don't worry about him anymore. Zabaletta has probably been more defensively effective and had a better season but outside of him I struggle to think of a better RB this season. Oner thing for sure though is he is massively better in every aspect than Evra.

That goal last week, too. Stunner. Liverpool away, fantastic finish.

Manchester United

• 01 De Gea
  • 02 Rafael
  • 03 Evra
  • 05 Ferdinand
  • 06 Evans
  • 16 Carrick
  • 17 Nani
  • 23 Cleverley
  • 26 Kagawa
  • 10 Rooney
  • 14 Hernandez

Substitutes

• 40 Amos
  • 15 Vidic
  • 07 Valencia
  • 08 Anderson
  • 18 Young
  • 19 Welbeck
  • 20 Van Persie

City have lost to Everton. In a way, losing to Reading today wouldn't be too bad as its one game closer to the end of the season and still 12 points. However there's no way we should be losing to Reading.

Manchester United

01 De Gea

05 Ferdinand

12 Smalling

15 Vidic

28 Buttner

08 Anderson

11 Giggs

18 Young

10 Rooney

19 Welbeck

20 Van Persie