roberthazelby

The Emulator Thread

lol both Shenmues are in the weekly top 10 list. can't these people wait for the remakes? i suppose their's something about the originals

Here's where you start getting into a murky ethical quandary. 

Some people feel, if you bought a game full price on release, you should always be able to play that exact game. That means even through emu, and/or with a rip. Re-buying Shenmue when you've already paid for the copy you want to play would then be daft, unless you wanted new bells and whistles. And by extension, re-buying a ROM from an official store like PSN is being ripped off.

Another viewpoint is that you should re-buy the original secondhand, as it supports independents and lone traders, who then help maintain the desire for original copies of games and keep them circulated in good condition, keeping the history of the hobby alive. And by extension, re-buying the ROM on - say - PSN also keeps interest high and the possibility of remasters and sequels alive.

Speaking frankly, I don't see why I should re-buy the same game, ever. Remasters, yes. Titles I've never bought before, yes. But it's technically against the law so we're all stuck in the system.

• Empathy 1

1 hour ago, Myshkin said:

lol both Shenmues are in the weekly top 10 list. can't these people wait for the remakes? i suppose their's something about the originals

With the original, there’s a widescreen hack. So you can potentially run it in 4k and have the cutscenes in 16:9, unlike the new HD release which apparently limits the cutscenes to 4:3?

On 22/08/2018 at 09:39, Treble said:

Two other cool things in Redream: 

1) It seems to be completely unfazed by whatever format you stick stuff in: CDI complete or GDI with separate BIN files... it doesn't care and just works.

Yeah, it's surprisingly accessible.

Just tried some Under Defeat and it plays really well with a DS4. There's a little slowdown when explosions are everywhere but otherwise it's not troubled too much. :) 

Damn!

Was very impressed with ReDream, nice UI, no BIOS nonsense and I was serioulsy thinking of putting down the $5 for high res rendering....When it failed the 'Rez' test.

Playing level 2 and it crashed out...:(

'Rez' & 'Jet Set/Grind Radio' would be the only games I'd play on it,TBH, so I'll keep an eye on it and test Rez with each update, if they fix the problem then I'll send them the $5.

19 hours ago, MpM said:

Damn!

Was very impressed with ReDream, nice UI, no BIOS nonsense and I was serioulsy thinking of putting down the $5 for high res rendering....When it failed the 'Rez' test.

Playing level 2 and it crashed out...:(

'Rez' & 'Jet Set/Grind Radio' would be the only games I'd play on it,TBH, so I'll keep an eye on it and test Rez with each update, if they fix the problem then I'll send them the $5.

Played Rez through to the start of level three just now with no issues.  It stutters for a little bit on the transitions beween sections, and struggled with the level 2 boss, but all the playable bits were perfect, and I'm not using the dreamcast bios, just the one that comes with Redream.

The ongoing Vega+ drama inspired me to buy my first ever DS with the intention of running it as a Spectrum emulator. I never considered the difference having a full keyboard would make for handheld Spectrum emulation. It's a revelation. I have emulated speccy stuff in the past but always been limited to QAOPM based stuff. 

Anyone got any recommendations for Spectrum stuff that requires more of the keyboard that I might have forgotten? I'm already planning to have a crack at Lords of Midnight/Doomdark's Revenge .

Also what's the current state of Atari ST emulation? There doesnt seem to be anything out there for the DS unfortunately.

Has anyone setup Supermodel with an Xbox one pad. I can't for the life of me suss the corresponding buttons to map in the Ui app that you can get. I'm desperate to play a bit of Scud Race but everything I've tried up to now keeps accelerate mapped to up on the analogue stick.

3 hours ago, amc said:

Has anyone setup Supermodel with an Xbox one pad. I can't for the life of me suss the corresponding buttons to map in the Ui app that you can get. I'm desperate to play a bit of Scud Race but everything I've tried up to now keeps accelerate mapped to up on the analogue stick

Use the info in the third reply here , worked for me.  You have to follow the steps exactly as the key presses are a little counter intuitive, (press down arrow to get to next input, use S to change that input, press input you want, press down to get to next input, lather, rinse, repeat)

https://www.supermodel3.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1250

• Upvote 1

Maybe I should post in ATF but I’ll try here first. Ive got a few spare Celeron based nettop PCs after migrating family XBMC solutions to nVidia Shield TVs. Specs are:

celeron 1007u 1.5Ghz

2gb ram

500gb hdd 

One has a windows license. 

Is there any scope for repurposing it as a retro emulator machine? One that can be hooked up to a big tv?  Or will I get better results/run into less bother selling and going down the raspberry pi route?

That's a decent CPU, better than the one I've got in my recent retro build even.

A Pi with a case, SD and other gubbins will run to about £40 or so. You could spend around that on the right gfx card, and play everything up to and including Dreamcast and PS2.

In all honesty, I'd always advise a PC over repurposing an old console, providing it has a motherboard that will take a PCIe graphics card. More powerful, more modular, more adaptable. If you really want to go ahead, let us know what motherboard it has and we can give some tips and such :)

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Treble said:

That's a decent CPU, better than the one I've got in my recent retro build even.

A Pi with a case, SD and other gubbins will run to about £40 or so. You could spend around that on the right gfx card, and play everything up to and including Dreamcast and PS2.

In all honesty, I'd always advise a PC over repurposing an old console, providing it has a motherboard that will take a PCIe graphics card. More powerful, more modular, more adaptable. If you really want to go ahead, let us know what motherboard it has and we can give some tips and such :)

Alas its a nettop - so tiny case, no PCIE slot etc. - so it will be using the onboard graphics only. Still viable?

One thing that is attractive from the Pi point of view is the availability of images which are just download/build and everything is right there. Is there anything similar/recommended on the x86 side of things? 

There is a self-booting front end you can stick on a USB drive - can't remember the name of it though! Getting old. I'll have a gander for you at home. It doesn't come with the ROMS like Pi builds do, though. 

As for the graphics, I'd say you'd struggle using onboard graphics to reach 32-bit standard. Have a look at benchmark tests on the old 'tube if you like, it can do low end settings on CS:GO @ 800 x 600, so it's fairly measly. 

I've got a recent (model 3B) Pi I don't use that you could buy if interested. Just drop a PM. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Treble said:

I've got a recent (model 3B) Pi I don't use that you could buy if interested. Just drop a PM. 

Hmmmm.. food for thought. Thanks for the offer.

Looks like I should give Lakka a spin first and see what its like. No harm in doing so really. Plus it looks like its got Dual Shock 3 support out of the box and I've got a spare one of those knocking about somewhere.

Yeah, Lakka looks almost identical to what I was going to suggest: https://www.recalbox.com/

Both Linux environments that boot in place of Windows to keep resource use low. You still need to find and add them ol' romz.

If you want to make a bootable USB flash drive of Lakka or Recalbox, I highly recommend Rufus.

• Upvote 1

Thought I’d give an update on my experience with the nettop. Gave Lakka a spin last night. Results were patchy but encouraging.

Rom compatibility and discovery was limited from the images I have  already which is annoying as I’ve seen them work on other stand alone emulators. Figuring out why (naming convention, format, compression?) for each instance will be painful. Hence the pi image route is looking attractive right now. Though I presume that i can still use lakka if I can source and expand a pi image and simply pull the games out as they will be in the right format?

Unable to test 32bit gen performance. PsOne, N64 and up didn’t even run. Turns out this may be due to running the 32 bit version of  Lakka. Either that or the embedded video driver has some sort of issue with 3D rendering for my machine configuration So I’ll have to wipe and start again with the 64 bit version and see if that fixes things. 

On the plus side of things what did work was great (just neo geo + gba). Playing GBA Aria of Sorrow on a 360 Arcade stick felt great for example. And the positives have been enough to make me feel it’s worth persevering. So I’ll be reinstalling and trying again tonight. 

Recalbox also looks very similar so I can try that if I continue to have problems with the 3D console emulation. 

• Upvote 1

Sorry if this isn't really the right topic for my question, but does anyone here have experience of making videos out of MAME input files (.inp)? I can get the emulator to record the input, but can't get the "-aviwrite" command to work at the same time, and external programs I've tried using to record footage as I play back the .inp (FRAPS, OBS and Hypercam 2) either record a black screen or slow everything down to about 10fps. Any tips or alternative methods would be greatly appreciated! I've a 1CC of X-Multiply I want to upload to YouTube with annotations etc. :)

Edit: I might have sorted something now, but I'd still love to hear about anything that's worked well for you!

I think I gave up on input recording way back when I used to get weird lag issues where the inputs would replay at the wrong time and the run would be a mess. :D Personally I’d run the game in a window and use a separate recording program like OBS or XSplit, but if they’re slowing you down it won’t help.

There are some MAME releases that can record to a video file as opposed to an input file, but you’d have to do some googling to find out release numbers and GUI-based releases (as opposed to command line releases.)