Jump to content

Photography Equipment & Software Thread


Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, idiwa said:

 

Feel your pain on this; I tried to set something up between my Mac and my work Mac using Google Drive. It was just a total pain in the arse. I also pissed about with using a Library on a flash drive just to take stuff to work, edit on my lunch and then import back into my home Library. It's do able but it's just a daily pain in the tits. 

 

Lightroom (non classic) was easier but fuck that shit. :quote:

Cheers, this is what I feared ive got a rather large catalog too. I think I'll need to split it and see if I can manage with the 20gb space for current work.

 

I have use it very infrequently so it may not be so troublesome for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, probotector said:

Hope it does...I read the R6 will be an R replacement and the R5 will be a beastly 5D equivalent :wub:

Looking at these announcements with interest as well, seems canon are finally catching up with Nikon and Sony. 

 

IBIS (in built image stabilization, or the body can reduce camera shake not just the lens) and focus peaking (puts zebra lines around areas in focus to help you with fine focusing and front to back sharpness) are looking great though...

Link to post
Share on other sites

IBIS still strikes me as a video shooters feature which is "nice to have" feature for stills.  I'll definitely take it when it's in all bodies, but it's not a feature I'd run out to upgrade for.  You'll get some longer handheld exposure times out of it (I've seen people say sharp shots at 1/10-1/25) but you'll be in poor light to require those times on a full frame setup and if you are shooting anything which is alive then you'll be getting motion blur from the subject anyway.  

 

Focus peaking is lovely though.  Did Canon not have that before? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, probotector said:

Hope it does...I read the R6 will be an R replacement and the R5 will be a beastly 5D equivalent :wub:

 

CVP have a couple of good videos up: 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The price of that R5 is indeed a bit tasty

The R6 does look very good. wtf is this 2.4GHz only wifi though? On a £2500 camera, that is proper cheapskate bullshit.

 

I don't like that bloke saying E-O-S. Can someone stop him?

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The R has too much about it that's just a bit crap for the price they're asking. I'd take a used 5dMk4 ahead of that.

 

Think I'll get an R6.  I don't need the advanced video functions and I don't need 45MP or CFExpress.


The only shame is the EVF looks amazing on the R5. But not £1600 amazing.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 5d4 and it's amazing, but worth upgrading to the R series? The R and 6 would seem like a weird move for me but the R5 does look rather good. 

I need to see more reviews of the final product, for example low light performance and dynamic range. I'd also like to see some opinions from canon landscape photographers such as Guy Edwards or David Noton, rather than a load of bloggers that seem to be obsessing about the video capabilities. At the moment although it looks like a much better camera than the 5d4 I'm not sure I can justify it when I have zero interest in video. 

 

So far the R5 looks great but I'm not rushing into anything that costs £4k!

 

Edit - if it wasn't for the drop from 30 to 20 megapixels, the R6 would look rather good as well next to the 5d4. Hmm

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing that could tempt me to upgrade my coming up to 1 year old 5D MkIV any time soon is the eye auto focus. 
 

Pretty much all of my photography is portrait stuff and so it’s something that I’d really benefit from. However while photography is a nice side line, it’s not one that pays enough for new £4K bodies just a year after buying the last. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if there's a way to get Lightroom 6.x to recognise newer RAW formats ? I got the wife a sony rx100 and can't import the RAW files. I tried a trick using exiftool to modify the ARW files, which works on an Alpha7 III but doesn't work on these.

 

Not keen on paying Adobe £120 a year, don't use it THAT much.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Review of the pre-production Canon R5 from one of the best photographers around, David Noton. 

https://www.davidnoton.com/despatches/3/Canon+EOS-R5+-+The+Field+Trial

 

Though he is a Canon ambassador he seems to have written a fairly well rounded review and the conclusion is very positive to say the least. 

Interesting that his auto focus experiences on animals are negative when many others have been raving, but pleasing the noise control is very good even at high ISO.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Can i ask you knowledgeable folk about batteries. I have a little Canon point and shoot:

 

https://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/product_finder/cameras/digital_camera/powershot/powershot_sx620_hs/

 

I was looking at getting a 2nd battery for it so I can always have one charged when we go away next year. The official one is £70!

 

https://store.canon.co.uk/canon-nb-13l-battery-pack/9839B001/?WT.tsrc=NSO-Site

 

Amazon sell a 3rd party one for £15

 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DSTE-Battery-NB-13L-PowerShot-Digital/dp/B014SJ0NZU/ref=sr_1_3?crid=J84MRYK9JXXP&dchild=1&keywords=canon+powershot+sx620+hs+battery&qid=1595943232&sprefix=canon+powershot+sx620+h%2Caps%2C166&sr=8-3

 

So my question: is the 3rd party one going to be terrible and not hold it's charge (it says it actually has more mAh btw) / potentially damage the camera? Or alternatively is there really no need for a 2nd battery as the one it came with will be plenty to get through a full day of fairly heavy use?

 

Any advice gratefully received. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I carry two third party batteries with my Fuji, mostly because I got a battery  grip for free when I bought the camera body and it takes two additional batteries which weren’t supplied.
Even if I don’t carry the grip with me (which is most of the time) I’ll have the batteries in my camera bag and they get used interchangeably with the OEM battery which was bundled with the camera.  I’ve never noticed any difference with the performance of the third party offerings.  They are branded Patona if that’s any use yo you, I’m sure they’d make Canon fit batteries if they make Fujifilm ones.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just been looking at the sample photos on the dpreview R6 review.


If that's what 20MP can get you, I am in. I know they used the $1100 L lens for most of them (which I don't want, I want an STM RF lens) but even so, it's ridiculously detailed.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd like to start taking more photos using my DSLR, especially some portraits.

 

At the moment I've got a Nikon D3200 with a 17-50mm f 2.8 Sigma lens. It's currently sat in its bag, catching dust, which it's where it's been for several months. I think I've stopped using it for three main reasons:

 

1. It's heavy - lugging it around with me on days out, especially when I've got a toddler to look after and all of his guff to take care of, is a pain.

 

2. Getting the photos from it is annoying as it only supports SD cards, and my current computer doesn't even have an SD card reader, so I need to buy an external one.

 

3. The Nikon software I use to edit the photos is cumbersome, unitituive and generally horrible.

 

I don't think there's much I can do about 2, except for buying a more modern body, but as for 1, I was thinking of getting a smaller prime lense than wouldn't be so bulky to drag about. Failing that, I'd sell the D3200 and get something a lot more compact.

 

Regarding point 3, is there any software that people would recommend? I know the default answer to this is Lightroom, but I'm not prepared to pay £10 per month, or whatever it is, for something that could only get a limited amount of use.

 

Anyway, bit of a blog post, but I'd be interested to know people's thoughts. I still take lots of snapshots using my phone, but not being able to see what I'm shooting on a sunny day isn't exactly ideal, and I think composition and so on is a lot easier on a 'proper' camera.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm probably going to upgrade to the Sony A7S III when it's released and since this means I'll have been a dedicated Sony (Digital) shooter for over five years now, I think it's time I finally got rid of my Canon glass and committed to Sony lenses. I've been using a Metabones adaptor for Canon lenses, but in truth it barely works and I've effectively switched over to using old manual Minolta lenses. I'm quite looking forward to actually being able to use autofocus, which I've not been able to use in around seven years!

 

I'm finding the Sony range very confusing though. Obviously I'm after full frame E mount lenses, but is there an equivalent to the Canon 'L' series? For the time being I think I'd just like to stick to Prime lenses, beginning with a really decent 50mm (Oh the shameless cliche!). Anyone know if it's worth opting for the Zeiss 1.4 or whether the smaller and cheaper 1.8 is a better shout?

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I'd like to start taking more photos using my DSLR, especially some portraits.

 

At the moment I've got a Nikon D3200 with a 17-50mm f 2.8 Sigma lens. It's currently sat in its bag, catching dust, which it's where it's been for several months. I think I've stopped using it for three main reasons:

 

1. It's heavy - lugging it around with me on days out, especially when I've got a toddler to look after and all of his guff to take care of, is a pain.

 

2. Getting the photos from it is annoying as it only supports SD cards, and my current computer doesn't even have an SD card reader, so I need to buy an external one.

 

3. The Nikon software I use to edit the photos is cumbersome, unitituive and generally horrible.

 

I don't think there's much I can do about 2, except for buying a more modern body, but as for 1, I was thinking of getting a smaller prime lense than wouldn't be so bulky to drag about. Failing that, I'd sell the D3200 and get something a lot more compact.

 

Regarding point 3, is there any software that people would recommend? I know the default answer to this is Lightroom, but I'm not prepared to pay £10 per month, or whatever it is, for something that could only get a limited amount of use.

 

Anyway, bit of a blog post, but I'd be interested to know people's thoughts. I still take lots of snapshots using my phone, but not being able to see what I'm shooting on a sunny day isn't exactly ideal, and I think composition and so on is a lot easier on a 'proper' camera.

On point one, I have a nikor 35mm prime and it makes my d3300 a good bit lighter and manageable when out and about. For portraits it's really nice and is good in a low light. 

 

I have to say I've not been using mine much either. I have need to make more time for snapping. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jamie John I've got a D3300 so I feel your pain. I've stopped taking it around so much on days out and using my P20 phone instead. 

 

As @davadvice1 suggested a prime might be more manageable. I often just use a 50mm. A better strap can work wonders, as the camera can sit on your body better. I have a sling style and it's good for just pushing it onto my back to get it out the way. 

 

SD slot - shit happens, get a SD reader it's gonna cost you peanuts. 

 

Lightroom - You could always try Affinity Photo; it's a one off purchase and some people like it. It's starting to get more of a following so you'll get plenty of tutorials and shit in YouTube. Personally I'm a Lightroom user as I work in design so have a Adobe CC account already. 

 

You could spec a new camera and maybe go mirrorless but I'd see how much you can shoot in the next two months to justify spunky the cash on a new toy. 

 

I'd love to go mirrorless but until I start doing more editing it's pointless me getting another camera setup. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers @idiwa

 

A sling strap is a great suggestion - I'll look into getting one of those, and an SD card reader.

 

I also have a Huawei phone, a Mate 20 Pro, which has more than twice the megapixels of the Nikon, but then, as mentioned, squinting at the screen on a sunny day to see what you're shooting is a pain compared with looking through a viewfinder.

 

I'll look into the software you mention, too, although I don't know a huge amount about editing and am often satisfied with doing something quick and dirty in Google Photos.

 

Anyway, food for thought :)

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve got a D3100 and mainly use it with the 35mm f1.8 AF-S. It’s an amazing lens it’s kind of incredible that it’s so cheap. I think it weighs slightly more than the kit lens but is more compact.

 

The D3100-3300 also have much, much larger sensors than the one in any phone, so yeah, as idiwa says, don’t get caught out by the MP count.

 

Definitely just buy an SD card reader - it’s the quickest way to get photos off the camera by far.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jamie John said:

What editing software do you use, @HarryBizzle?

 

I used to shoot RAW and edit in lightroom - back when you could buy a lightroom license, rather than pay for a sub. Nowadays, I tend to just shoot in JPEG unless I’m doing something special, and tend to edit on my phone or iPad in something like Snapseed or Pixelmator. Not posh, but to be honest no one cares when it’s on instagram (or anywhere else) and it saves a lot of time.

 

If I wanted to edit on a desktop, try Dark Table. It’s a free alternative to Lightroom. 

 

Luminar 4 is also really good and relatively cheap - on sale for about £50 and they’re doing a 90 day trial at the minute. https://skylum.com/eyeem2020

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

 

I used to shoot RAW and edit in lightroom - back when you could buy a lightroom license, rather than pay for a sub. Nowadays, I tend to just shoot in JPEG unless I’m doing something special, and tend to edit on my phone or iPad in something like Snapseed or Pixelmator. Not posh, but to be honest no one cares when it’s on instagram (or anywhere else) and it saves a lot of time.

 

If I wanted to edit on a desktop, try Dark Table. It’s a free alternative to Lightroom. 

 

Luminar 4 is also really good and relatively cheap - on sale for about £50 and they’re doing a 90 day trial at the minute. https://skylum.com/eyeem2020

 

I'm liking Snapseed for my phone photos. What do you do if you want to edit them using that, then - shoot on camera, transfer to your PC, upload to iCloud, then edit on your phone? Seems like a faff.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a D3200 too. Even though its pretty small for a DSLR, it was still a bit awkward to just grab for impromptu trips out so, when we booked a holiday, I bought a Lumix GX7 micro four thirds which was much smaller. I found that, because it was so compact - especially with the 20mm f/1.7 pancake lens - I would take it everywhere, even just to the shops or whatever and took lots more photos as a consequence.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

I have a D3200 too. Even though its pretty small for a DSLR, it was still a bit awkward to just grab for impromptu trips out so, when we booked a holiday, I bought a Lumix GX7 micro four thirds which was much smaller. I found that, because it was so compact - especially with the 20mm f/1.7 pancake lens - I would take it everywhere, even just to the shops or whatever and took lots more photos as a consequence.

 

With that short a lens, did you not feel like you were missing shots that you would have been able to make with a longer telephoto? Or do you just shoot in a really high resolution and then crop on close when you come to edit?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.