Photography Equipment & Software Thread

44 minutes ago, strider said:

I've been making an effort to use my Canon 600mm lens more often as struggle when using it for bird in flight shots. Went out the last two weekends and am quite pleased with the following. Any tips/advice gratefully received as you get fuck all help on the wildlife facebook group I'm on.

I can't offer any advice myself but, as much as I don't want to direct peeps away from RLLMUK, the Talk Photography forum is a great place to ask for advice. As well as sub-forums for equipment discussion and advice, there are also dedicated forums for nature photography (and even one specifically for bird photographs):

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/

• 2 weeks later...

So I went and bought my old Sony a200 back, it has the RAW file extension of .ARW

Using Windows 10 I can see the thumbnails of the images, but when I open them up to view them in the photo viewer all my images are being autocorrected and are coming out over exposed. Despite on the camera LCD they are fine.

What's the best way for me to view all my photos on the PC?

Hmm, I'm guessing if you're asking this you don't have the Sony software that originally came with the camera, or do you?

I use Lightroom for both viewing and editing my RAW files and it worked well with my a300 when I had it.

Don't forget the image you see on the LCD and in the thumbnails is actually a JPG processed by the camera, so it's not surprising if the unedited ARW file looks a bit washed out in comparison.

I went and downloaded the image editing software from Sony's website and it seems to be showing me the images properly now. The editing abilities are probably a bit limited, but I'm too tight to pay for Lightroom or Photoshop, especially as an amateur. 

Guess I now need to learn how to 'photoshop' images properly.

23 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

I keep telling you all .. use this

http://www.faststone.org/

You'll never use a cameras native software or Windows god awful picture viewer ever again ..

Thanks, Just downloaded it and it seems excellent. Just as many editing features as the official SONY editor and loaded my RAW images up instantly with no fuss.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone using a Dell XPS 15 ( with the hi-res screen ) for photo editing / lightroom?

Need to update my 2012 macbook pro. It's non-retina and screen is screwed ( blue lines running through it ) Also the colour calibration is awful.

Reading on the Dell seems very favourable. With good accurate colour and plenty of speed. So it seems like an obvious choice to me.

...As much as I love OSX I'm not willing to pay $$$$ for the new Macbook pro.

On 07/09/2017 at 11:15, oldteadrinker said:

Are there any G7 X II owners in here?

I'm looking for something more portable and convenient than my DSLR.

I'm split between the RX100 Mk3 and the Canon.  My heart says Sony, my head says Canon.

If anyone has one, I'd love to hear some feedback.

What do you want to use if for ? If no specific needs I'd probably get something cheap second hand that you can just throw in a bag and not really care if it gets banged up.

I've got a Panasonic Lumix LX5 for just such a purpose - nice quality Leica branded 24-90mm (35mm equivalent) zoom lens, can operate in manual and 10MP is more than enough for the internets and 6x4 and 8x5 prints. Optional electronic viewfinder too should you want one.

Mostly hard to go wrong with Sony, Panasonic or Fuji at the moment.

On 07/09/2017 at 10:15, oldteadrinker said:

Are there any G7 X II owners in here?

I'm looking for something more portable and convenient than my DSLR.

I'm split between the RX100 Mk3 and the Canon.  My heart says Sony, my head says Canon.

If anyone has one, I'd love to hear some feedback.

A word of warning. Once you get a smaller, more portable and convenient camera, you may find your DSLR starts to gather dust because it's bigger, less portable and inconvenient in comparison. :)

I found that I hardly used my DSLR after I got my Lumix GX7 for precisely these reasons. It's very easy to take a small camera out on occasions where something bigger would be a bit of a pain.

Even though I'm mostly shooting film at present, I still do something similar - taking a small 35mm point and shoot camera on everyday trips where I don't want to lug other gear about.

Thanks for the replies!

I find that I'm already leaving the DSLR at home because I don't want to lug it around with me all day - and then regretting not having something better than a camera phone with me.

I want something that I will carry with me all the time and will easily fit in a coat pocket.  I'm attracted to the G7X and the the RX100 because they are very small and compact cameras, but also offer some of the flexibility and qualities of a DSLR.

My proper photography has been killed dead by the convenience and good-enough-ness of the iPhone camera. The first few years of my daughter's life were well documented with a decent camera, but my son's photographic life Is 95% iPhone, and it's not going to age well. Time to get things back on track.

The plan:

1) Ditch the OM-D E-M5 and bulky zooms for an Olympus Pen F and primes

2) Shoot JPEG and damn the consequences

3) Leave it to hand in the living room so I actually take some photos of my family.

#1 will make the rig sufficiently small and light for me to actually take with me when we go out. #2 will mean that I don't just shoot RAWs that rot on my computer forever because, as I have slowly come to realise, I fecking hate post processing. When the alternative is an iPhone photo, OOC JPEG doesn't seem so big a compromise, particularly with occasional use of bracketing.

I thought about getting an RX100 style compact, but I do love dicking with different lenses, and having a proper bouncable/diffusible flash (I have an Oly FL-36R) is occasionally invaluable.

Looks like you get a free 25mm f/1.8 when you buy a Pen F at the moment, so if I trade in my OMD + 14-42 kit, 12-40mm Pro and 75-300mm against a Pen F 17mm f/1.8 kit, then I'll have fast 34mm/50mm/90mm equivalent primes (I'm keeping my 45mm) for hopefully fairly little expense.

Looking further ahead, for the wide end I'm not sure if I'd get the 12mm prime, or the 9-18mm UWA Zoom, which is compact enough to be worth considering.  Having owned both previously, I found the zoom more fun, and the 12mm not that dramatically better in the IQ department.

2 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

So the 20mm f/1.7 can still cut it on modern gear? I'd heard it was a slow focuser by modern standards. I quite like the focal length, my old Sigma DP2 was 42mm, and I got on well with that.

I've never missed a shot due to slow focus. When they say it's slow compared to other lenses, that may be true, but it's only fractionally so and not something that I've ever found to be a problem. The newer version of the lens focuses faster too, I think, but costs more.

Got the Pen F today. Trade in for my old gear was pretty much exactly what I expected, which was good, although it was a realistic expectation.

Tried out a unit with the Oly 17mm f/1.8 and still wasn't satisfied with the sharpness. I've owned this lens before and thought it was blunt, and this one seemed the same. Not just edge, but centre. Other people online seem to really like it, so it's possible this one was just a duff (Olympus seem to have a problem with decentering). Either way, I decided to go body only, so they got out a 14-42 EZ pancake kit to split.

Long story short, curiosity got the better of me, and I came away with the full pancake kit. It was only £100 more than the bare body, and it's an incredibly compact lens, a real feat of engineering. Thought it could be good as a walk around in good light, particularly when shooting with the nice mono mode on the Pen F. Given as I get a free 25mm f/1.8 on the current promo, and already have a 45mm f/1.8, I don't feel like I'm tying my hands.

Spent the evening tinkering with it, and was amazed by the little bundled body powered flash. It's only GN9, but supports full tilt and swivel - tried bouncing it off the ceiling at +0.7 and got really good results. It won't replace my FL36R at home, but it's great to have a capable flash option on the hoof.

Other early observations:

- EVF is really good.
- Silver and black body genuinely goes with both Silver and Black lenses. Interestingly, all kit lenses are black regardless of body colour.
- This thing has more buttons and dials than an apollo rocket.
- Olympus menus are ridiculously deep.
- The DOF preview button is perfectly placed.
- Focus peaking is bloody lovely. Never had it before.

It's impressively unintuitive to get working, but the Wi-Fi functionality is actually pretty ace. I can import photos straight to my phone, or use my phone for either live view or remote shutter. The lack of an IR remote shutter on the Oly cameras always bothered me (loved that cheapo Nikon remote), so I guess this is a solution.

Took some candids of the kids with the 45mm which look great, imported them straight to my phone and WhatsApped them to their grandparents. WAF of new camera just went up 400%.

• 4 weeks later...

So lightroom 7 has been released...

Well , sort of... the boxed copy is dead, its basically subscription, or no copy of Lightroom for you! 6 will receive one final update on the 25th (new cameras) and that's it. Any copies out there will still be sold, but they wont be producing any more!

Lightroom CC as we know it has been renamed to Lightroom Classic CC

A new mobile version that stores all your photos in the cloud and saves the state so you can move from your phone to tablet to pc has been released and is called LIghtroom CC. For an extra £10 a month you get 1TB of storage in their cloud offering.

Classic has some cool new features, its a fuck load faster at last... back to lightroom 2 speed!

Luminosity masking has been added, which is amazing for doing nice masks without creating a hard edge

Colour selection can now be done with multiple colours or shades of the sae colour

And there are soe other dds and sods that ve not gotten round to checking out yet!

4 hours ago, PopeSmokesDope said:

So lightroom 7 has been released...

Well , sort of... the boxed copy is dead, its basically subscription, or no copy of Lightroom for you! 6 will receive one final update on the 25th (new cameras) and that's it. Any copies out there will still be sold, but they wont be producing any more!

Lightroom CC as we know it has been renamed to Lightroom Classic CC

A new mobile version that stores all your photos in the cloud and saves the state so you can move from your phone to tablet to pc has been released and is called LIghtroom CC. For an extra £10 a month you get 1TB of storage in their cloud offering.

Classic has some cool new features, its a fuck load faster at last... back to lightroom 2 speed!

Luminosity masking has been added, which is amazing for doing nice masks without creating a hard edge

Colour selection can now be done with multiple colours or shades of the sae colour

Lightroom 'classic' updates sound great. I notice there is a new process version there as well.

Wonder if lightroom CC will sync presets across all the devices now...if so I'll be temped to start using it.

Being able to edit on a iPad pro would be lovely.

I'm a bit confused on if I'm supposed to try and switch to 'CC' or keep using 'Classic CC'. I generally do it on the desktop only but I have a mobile app and an iPad Pro so I could switch? Weird that they're fragmenting it at the same time as making it more joined up.

(edit, wait, 'CC' isn't included in my existing sub but 'Classic CC' is? That answers that question then I suppose)

1 hour ago, Totoro said:

Lightroom 'classic' updates sound great. I notice there is a new process version there as well.

Wonder if lightroom CC will sync presets across all the devices now...if so I'll be temped to start using it.

Being able to edit on a iPad pro would be lovely.

Yeah it does, you can edit a photo on your phone and move to your ipad it it will be exactly the same... you can still use lightroom mobile with clasic..

I suspect the move is something that Adobe have got to make, but might struggle in the transition to a cloud based model when your competitors are Apple and Google.

I think they fluffed the launch. New Lightroom CC hasn't improved on their previous mobile/web offerings. Their cloud storage isn't competitive either, both Google and Apple are cheaper (Apple massively so).

They could of launched with either cheaper storage or a better editor than the completion, but didn't manage either

In their favour, they've not chucked the baby (desktop Lightroom) out with the bathwater as Apple did when they ditched Aperture, but I suspect Lightroom Classic isn't long for this world.

Be aware that switching to "Classic" will mean going onto the subscription service. You're not given a choice to start paying, just downloading the update will case Lightroom 6 to be removed and the catalogue migrated to the new "classic" format.

Once you move to classic you will have to keep paying the subscription to have access to any edits you make. ending the subscription will mean no more light room.

sure you can edit raw files on you phone/tablet now, once you've uploaded you photo library to the cloud and then downloaded that picture to your phone/tablet. but who wants to fuck about doing that.

what a crock of shit really.

yeah, don't update 6 unless you really want to nail your bollocks to the Adobe mast of life time subscription <_<

4 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

sure you can edit raw files on you phone/tablet now, once you've uploaded you photo library to the cloud and then downloaded that picture to your phone/tablet. but who wants to fuck about doing that.

*Shrugs* I've been doing that for a while now with Apple Photos and Snapseed. Quite like it personally.