Photography Equipment & Software Thread

rundll

Rev, the G3 seems to be about £100 more than the G2 atm (new or used) so I don't know about them 'swapping'.

The G2 came out in early summer 2010, the G3 came out in early summer 2011. My theory is that the G2 will be running out in 3 months and the G3 will be starting to be cleared, based on new prices. I don't think they'll ever swap second-hand.

The G3 was a nice camera but slightly out of my price range. Unless I suppose the G3 is considerably better than the G2 to justify the increase in price.

Not sure what the current prices are, but there was a G2 on special offer in John Lewis on Sunday at £280.

Ooh. Is the Tamron the VC or the non VC version. I used to own the non VC version in a Canon mount, lovely lens it is.

Its the non-VC one. Couldn't justify the extra for the VC really! All the reviews and sample images I've seen look good, so looking forward to getting it!

I was originally going to buy the Nikon 35mm f/1.8, and then just a cheap 18-50mm, but I think with this its the best of both worlds. I can always get the 35mm at a later date if I find that f/2.8 isnt enough.

Just ordered a cheap manual flash from eBay, this one.

Will report back how I get on with it, they seem to be good for off camera flash, and for £38 delivered you can't complain too much! The SB-600 Nikons are still going for about £170, for the amount of times I use it this should be fine! Can't imagine having to fire a test shot off every now and then to adjust the power will be that much of an inconvenience!

Anyone else used one?

im looking for a great portable camera,

ive been looking at the G13, S100, the GF3, the nex5, the fuji's etc

every one i see, has great features, but theres always something to stop me buying it.

criteria is -

around 500quid,

raw shooting capability,

shutter press to image taken as close to SLR speed as possible.

fairly decent in low light.

ideally decent manual controls - well, at least for aperture and shutter. i don't want to have to go into menu's and stuff

Just ordered a cheap manual flash from eBay, this one.

Will report back how I get on with it, they seem to be good for off camera flash, and for £38 delivered you can't complain too much! The SB-600 Nikons are still going for about £170, for the amount of times I use it this should be fine! Can't imagine having to fire a test shot off every now and then to adjust the power will be that much of an inconvenience!

Anyone else used one?

Yes, I've been using one of these (the mk2 version, right?) for a while now, and with the remote triggers (pick them up cheap from deal extreme) it makes a handy little setup. This portrait was done using it (with a white reflector on the right). Get some heavy duty batteries though, and keep a spare set.

5352181834_73e95faa26.jpg

B&W Portrait by neal1973, on Flickr

im looking for a great portable camera,

ive been looking at the G13, S100, the GF3, the nex5, the fuji's etc

every one i see, has great features, but theres always something to stop me buying it.

criteria is -

around 500quid,

raw shooting capability,

shutter press to image taken as close to SLR speed as possible.

fairly decent in low light.

ideally decent manual controls - well, at least for aperture and shutter. i don't want to have to go into menu's and stuff

Considered the Olympus XZ-1?

- 300 GBP, although I'd recommend adding a Franiec Grip and probably an auto-lens cap

- Provided you're pre-focused, I think it's pretty much instant, but I can't say I've ever tried to photograph sports or a speeding train with one.

- f/1.8-2.5 lens just eats light, RAW is good up to at least ISO 800.

- Lens ring/rear wheel combo makes setting aperture/shutter a breeze.

You also have the option to slap on an flash/EVF, and LensMate do a 52mm filter holder if you want to play with a CPOL. But to be honest, once you're doing all that you may as well have an E-P3.

Considered the Olympus XZ-1?

- 300 GBP, although I'd recommend adding a Franiec Grip and probably an auto-lens cap

- Provided you're pre-focused, I think it's pretty much instant, but I can't say I've ever tried to photograph sports or a speeding train with one.

- f/1.8-2.5 lens just eats light, RAW is good up to at least ISO 800.

- Lens ring/rear wheel combo makes setting aperture/shutter a breeze.

You also have the option to slap on an flash/EVF, and LensMate do a 52mm filter holder if you want to play with a CPOL. But to be honest, once you're doing all that you may as well have an E-P3.

i had considered this yeah, and came to the same sort of conclusion, and then im left with comparing the PEN to the competition and the cycle continues.

currently feature (, price and sexiness) creeped up to a fuji x100 until i find something else.

i had considered this yeah, and came to the same sort of conclusion, and then im left with comparing the PEN to the competition and the cycle continues.

currently feature (, price and sexiness) creeped up to a fuji x100 until i find something else.

Definitely go and have a good hands on go with the x100. I'd more or less convinced myself I could pay enough for it when I was got the GF2 (for a basically comparable lens, GF2 was £449 and the X100 was £1000, so it was a fair difference) but when I got my hands on the x100 I hated it. For a start it's huge - it'd never go in any pocket - and the back of it is really cheap. The viewfinder is lovely, but the manual controls all felt to be in the wrong place (you have to sort of reach to get to the shutter button, oddly). After taking about 30 pictures of the inside of Jacobs I was entirely convinced I wouldn't be spending money on it.

The XZ1 is lovely, I really like my GF2. If I was spending money now though I think I'd be leaning towards the Nikon One. It's a worse camera in almost every way compared to the GF2, but some of its clever tricks are more than clever enough to make it worthwhile. If you're just doing landscapey stuff it's a bit pointless, but for people pictures (especially if/when they make a faster lens) I think it'd be amazing.

Yes, I've been using one of these (the mk2 version, right?) for a while now, and with the remote triggers (pick them up cheap from deal extreme) it makes a handy little setup. This portrait was done using it (with a white reflector on the right). Get some heavy duty batteries though, and keep a spare set.

I've got some cheapo remote triggers as well so thats good to know! It is the mk2 one. Does it work ok on the camera? I know its manual but does it trigger ok?

Definitely go and have a good hands on go with the x100. I'd more or less convinced myself I could pay enough for it when I was got the GF2 (for a basically comparable lens, GF2 was £449 and the X100 was £1000, so it was a fair difference) but when I got my hands on the x100 I hated it. For a start it's huge - it'd never go in any pocket - and the back of it is really cheap. The viewfinder is lovely, but the manual controls all felt to be in the wrong place (you have to sort of reach to get to the shutter button, oddly). After taking about 30 pictures of the inside of Jacobs I was entirely convinced I wouldn't be spending money on it.

The XZ1 is lovely, I really like my GF2. If I was spending money now though I think I'd be leaning towards the Nikon One. It's a worse camera in almost every way compared to the GF2, but some of its clever tricks are more than clever enough to make it worthwhile. If you're just doing landscapey stuff it's a bit pointless, but for people pictures (especially if/when they make a faster lens) I think it'd be amazing.

interesting, cheers for the views. The one thing about a lot of the M43rds that im not too keen on, is the lack of the viewfinders. how does the GF2 cope in direct sunlight? can you see what you're doing? that's my one main issue with them. I don't really fancy waiting and saving for the NEX7 to drop in price.

Ive been a nikon user for a few years now and have looked very briefly at the nikon V1 with its EVF but then i also note its lack of manual controls, which i reckon i'd want.

So really, i've worked out that a decent Viewfinder and Manual Controls are my two big requests.

You mention that the X100 you have to stretch to adjust the shutter dial, and yeah it could have been better positioned if it were in the spot the exp-Comp dial is. but if im just taking random pictures where i don't really need to think what's going on, i'd most likely be in Aperture Priority, If there was something that i needed to creatively judge and compose, then i think the time it takes to adjust the shutter dial wouldn't be too much of an issue.

Another reason i'm talking myself into the X100, is probably to do with the IQ of the sample images i've seen. after being thoroughly spoiled by the noise levels on my D3s, Even a D700 seems like a noise machine. From what i've seen of the X100 it's a great compromise in IQ which is amazing, and it's smaller form factor.

It's all very frustrating. By tomorrow i'll have changed again, and will have decided to buy a carrier bag full of instant cameras or something.

interesting, cheers for the views. The one thing about a lot of the M43rds that im not too keen on, is the lack of the viewfinders. how does the GF2 cope in direct sunlight? can you see what you're doing? that's my one main issue with them. I don't really fancy waiting and saving for the NEX7 to drop in price.

Ive been a nikon user for a few years now and have looked very briefly at the nikon V1 with its EVF but then i also note its lack of manual controls, which i reckon i'd want.

So really, i've worked out that a decent Viewfinder and Manual Controls are my two big requests.

You mention that the X100 you have to stretch to adjust the shutter dial, and yeah it could have been better positioned if it were in the spot the exp-Comp dial is. but if im just taking random pictures where i don't really need to think what's going on, i'd most likely be in Aperture Priority, If there was something that i needed to creatively judge and compose, then i think the time it takes to adjust the shutter dial wouldn't be too much of an issue.

Another reason i'm talking myself into the X100, is probably to do with the IQ of the sample images i've seen. after being thoroughly spoiled by the noise levels on my D3s, Even a D700 seems like a noise machine. From what i've seen of the X100 it's a great compromise in IQ which is amazing, and it's smaller form factor.

It's all very frustrating. By tomorrow i'll have changed again, and will have decided to buy a carrier bag full of instant cameras or something.

I meant the shutter button (not shutter speed dial), is in the wrong place. It's ridiculous. You have to reach over/round the exposure compensation dial - you'd get used to it, but it's not the place where you'll put you'd finger by default and after a few hundred shots I'm pretty sure I'd find it uncomfortable.

For image quality, I think:

http://forums.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcgf2/page16.asp

Is fair. At low ISO there isn't much difference, the higher you go the X100 pulls away - but when you have a D3S...will you use it like that much? The GX1 could feasibly improve on the GF2 as well.

I've only ever found the sun annoying once, but it didn't stop me from getting pictures. As long as you know it's on the right settings, you're not going to mess up when you know the camera well enough to be honest. It's such a rarity that it will cause serious problems when the screen is on full brightness I wouldn't bother about it. There is an EVF available for the GF2 though, with a touchscreen it's not the best solution in the world though.

Micro 4/3 gives you lens choice as wel though, that's got to be a big consideration if you're doing landscapes and portraits.

Definitely get your hands on them, it made my mind up instantly.

Has anyone used the Panasonic 25mm f1.4, preferably on a GFwhatever? It looks a bit worryingly like you're paying for the word "Leica" being used somewhere near it, but it also looks really nice. And I would really like a 50mm lens...I'm not really that happy with 28mm all the time.

Hope you enjoy it, you'll probably be cursing it while you get used to it.

I would recommend picking up something like the following unless you want to use two filters (pop the glass on one and reverse the other) to protect the lens:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/METAL-Lens-Hood-52mm-f-FUJIFILM-LH-X100-AR-X100-Adapter-/230669329378?pt=UK_Photography_CameraLenses_Lens_caps_hoods_adaptors_ET&hash=item35b4f6a3e2

Well I got my flash in the post today and just did a few test shots with it, and I have to say, I'm impressed! For £38 it is amazing!

I was expecting the build quality to be terrible, but its actually fairly decent! It has a nice weight to it and the plastic seems fairly substantial. The swivel and tilt head also has a nice dull click, and stays in place fine despite the fact there is no locking button type arrangement. The inbuilt diffuser and deflector is also a nice touch. On the camera it triggers fine, a few adjustments and you can get the power pretty much spot on easily, and the recharge time is decent as well.

I really can't believe that you can get something like this for so little money, I can see myself buying a few more for off camera shenanigans.

So, in short, if you want a flash and don't want to spend nearly £200 on a branded one, buy one of these!

A sample (bounced off the wall beside me):

DSC_0049.jpg

It's really only power and HSS that helped me justify getting a 580EXII. That and I needed it the second I bought it, too.

But I really haven't used it anywhere near enough to use it. C'est la vie. But I'd definitely go Yongnuo if I was going through the process again.

(It does look AWESOME on the GF2 though.)

The last rumour I saw of note was that it was going to be a minor upgrade, more of a finishing off waiting for the big posh 4k one at some point late in the year/2013.

Unless they're sticking to the schedule they had before the quake, I don't think they're going to rush out anything non-Olympics related of note early this year to be honest.

X100 update -

received it earlier this afternoon. havent been out with it yet, but ive taken a dimly lit messy bedroom shot at 2000 ISO and was staggered by the image quality, that was in JPG too. once Lightroom 4 has finished downloading i'll see what the RAW files are like.

my older SD card is a bit slow at writing RAW files, so i'll need to get a new superfast one, but other than that i'm fairly impressed. hopefully this weekend i'll be able to get some nice images to show you.

as for the build quality and buttons, The shutter Release button for my hands, is in a more or less perfect place. It also came with a nice soft release button screwed into the button which makes things even easier to handle. Ive taken this off to see how the button is in relation to the Exposure Compensation dial, but it's fine without it on too.

the buttons on the back don't feel anywhere near as cheap as i was expecting them to be and feel solid enough. the circular back dial isnt too bad, but could have been improved by being 20% bigger. Still havent quite got my brain around the UI and shooting menu's yet, but they seem to be the most mental thing about it.

The special EVF, Optical viewfinder is amazing really clear and definitely something canon and nikon could do with.

It came with the offical hood, and official case. the official case is a bit crap, the holes dont line up with the camera body, and the case or a half case, is something i'll probably want to upgrade. I think i'll also invest in a thumb rest that slots into the hot shoe.

so far so good.