rundll

Photography Equipment & Software Thread

I used to have a canon 300d DSLR and moved to a mirrorless M3 but find it too slow in taking pictures.

Canon seem to have shitloads of DSLR cameras all at similar price points. 

What is is equivalent to the 300d and would it be worth moving to Nikon, they seem cheaper? 

6 hours ago, probotector said:

What is is equivalent to the 300d and would it be worth moving to Nikon, they seem cheaper? 

I'd not say Nikon are more expensive in regards to glass. Canon glass is cheaper than Nikon (Nikkor) especially with a 50mm lens.

https://cameradecision.com/compare/Canon-EOS-300D-vs-Nikon-D3200

I use a Nikon D3300 and I'm happy with it but it is slow for sports stuff, but then its not a sports camera at that price point. The latest version is the D3500 - https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/dslr-cameras/d3500.html

I tried to do some group photos for cycling and found the M3 too slow but didn’t really need a high high speed camera but it seemed to be 1fps so a few mates didn’t get pictures 

50 minutes ago, probotector said:

I tried to do some group photos for cycling and found the M3 too slow but didn’t really need a high high speed camera but it seemed to be 1fps so a few mates didn’t get pictures 

How were you taking the bike shots? Subject passing you, coming towards etc?

I use my D3300 with a 70-300mm lens for kite surfing and cycling. For the most part this is more portrait stuff than in the heat of the action.  Instagram link in my signature if you wanna see some. 

https://www.instagram.com/idiwa/

If if I was buying a fresh I think I’d now be going for a Sony mirrorless set up; it’s just the cost of glass that puts me off. I spend enough cash on cycling gear let alone more on glass to take pics of others cycling gear! :)

Amazing shots! 

I was was thinking of maybe getting a 2nd hand RX100? But I could just keep the M3 and get a full size DSLR and get best(ish) of both...

Are Sony Mirrorless that good? 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, probotector said:

Amazing shots!  Thanks!

I was was thinking of maybe getting a 2nd hand RX100? But I could just keep the M3 and get a full size DSLR and get best(ish) of both...

Are Sony Mirrorless that good? 

I've heard people mention the RX100 quite a few times for cycling (as in shooting whilst on the bike as its so compact). Sony mirrorless have a good rep and I suppose they've more years experience over the competition (Nikon and Canon only entered mirrorless last year). I don't know if mirrorless is defo the way to go but it just happens that a few of the photographers that I like are all using mirrorless; be they sports, landscape or portrait style photographers.

The lightweight aspect and compact body appeals to me and their video (depending on the glass) looks amazing (No doubt after colour grading/ post production).

Francis Cade shoots Sony (on the bike) but its mostly video, but you can check out his instagram for stills shots - https://www.instagram.com/francisccade/?hl=en

He details his camera gear set up in the YouTube description.

I use a Sony A9, it's ridiculous when it comes to autofocus and tracking subjects. I've got my first paid sports event in May as I've been asked to shoot the Liverpool marathon. Can't think of a better camera than the A9 to do it with...

Edit: A few shots from the one and only cycling event I've shot with the Sony A9, nothing to write home about but the camera locks on and tracks very well.

42709336584_d8b51e3e71_c.jpguntitled-18.jpg by Tom Gutteridge, on Flickr

42709353454_10c6ca902b_c.jpguntitled-25.jpg by Tom Gutteridge, on Flickr

42709340374_807496d9cb_c.jpguntitled-20.jpg by Tom Gutteridge, on Flickr

29554688088_6ceb82ea02_c.jpguntitled-27.jpg by Tom Gutteridge, on Flickr

• Upvote 4

My new camera turned up yesterday - canon 5d mark 4. Only incremental improvements over the mark 3 I had previously but first impressions are positive. 

Need to get out on a proper shoot though rather than annoying the cats. 

Things that have stuck out so far:

- touchscreen is surprisingly well implemented

- WiFi and NFC to app have great potential, almost makes up for immovable screen

- improved burst rate

- camera feels pretty much exactly the same (can still operate in total darkness)

- haven't been able to notice the apparent improvement in autofocus (I'm more used to manual) despite trying

- silent mode not much difference to normal

- haven't tested added detail from resolution increase or  improvements to dynamic range

I'm not sure if the mark 4 will be with me as long as the 3 was before, depends on how good the rumoured new high end EOS R is. Also remains to be seen if it was worth the £1000 I paid for the upgrade, but 'more of the same but better' is just right for me. 

• Upvote 1