IGNORED

DICE Awards 2006

Danster

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=22706

Overall Game of the Year: Gears of War (Epic Games/Microsoft Game Studios)

Console Game of the Year: Gears of War (Epic Games/Microsoft Game Studios)

Computer Game of the Year: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Bethesda Softworks/2K Games)

Outstanding Innovation in Gaming: Wii Sports (Nintendo/Nintendo)

Handheld Game of the Year: Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day (Nintendo/Nintendo)

Outstanding Achievement in Animation: Gears of War (Epic Games/Microsoft Game Studios)

Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction: Gears of War (Epic Games/Microsoft Game Studios)

Outstanding Achievement in Soundtrack: Guitar Hero 2 (Harmonix/Activision/Red Octane)

Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composition: LocoRoco (Sony Computer Entertainment/Sony Computer Entertainment)

Outstanding Achievement in Sound Design: Call of Duty 3 (Treyarch/Activision)

Outstanding Character Performance - Male: Gears of War (Epic Games/Microsoft Game Studios) :D

Outstanding Achievement in Character Performance - Female: Viva Piñata (Rare/Microsoft Game Studios) :D:(:D

Outstanding Achievement in Story and Character Development: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo/Nintendo)

Outstanding Achievement in Game Play Engineering: Wii Sports (Nintendo/Nintendo)

Outstanding Achievement in Online Game Play: Gears of War (Epic Games/Microsoft Game Studios)

Outstanding Achievement in Visual Engineering: Gears of War (Epic Games/Microsoft Game Studios)

Outstanding Achievement in Game Design: Wii Sports (Nintendo/Nintendo)

Sports Game of the Year: Tony Hawk's Project 8 (Neversoft Entertainment/Activision)

Strategy Game of the Year: Company of Heroes (Relic/THQ)

First-Person Action Game of the Year: Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas (Ubisoft Montreal/Ubisoft)

Fighting Game of the Year: Fight Night Round 3 (EA Sports/Electronic Arts)

Racing Game of the Year: Burnout Revenge (Criterion Games/Electronic Arts)

Role-Playing Game of the Year: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Bethesda Softworks/2K Games)

Children's Game of the Year: LocoRoco (Sony Computer Entertainment/Sony Computer Entertainment)

Action/Adventure Game of the Year: Gears of War (Epic Games/Microsoft Game Studios)

Massively Multiplayer Game of the Year: Guild Wars: Nightfall (Arena Net/NCsoft)

Family Game of the Year: Guitar Hero 2 (Harmonix/Activision/Red Octane)

Simulation Game of the Year: Microsoft Flight Simulator X (Microsoft Game Studios/Microsoft Game Studios)

Downloadable Game of the Year: Bookworm Adventures (PopCap/PopCap)

Mobile Game of the Year: Orcs and Elves (Fountainhead Entertainment/Electronic Arts Mobile)

Can anyone explain how Viva Pinata got the award for "Outstanding Achievement in Character Performance - Female"...? Having not played the game I don't get it.

"This is incredible," said Epic's CEO Michael Capps at the 10th Annual Interactive Entertainment Awards, held at the DICE Summit in Las Vegas.

"Getting sales is great, making the game we wanted and having people buy it and enjoy it is fantastic. But having our peers say it's the best game of the year? That's insane. We beat the Wii."

I agree. It's a good game, but it's not sweep the board good.

Outstanding Achievement in Online Game Play: Gears of War (Epic Games/Microsoft Game Studios)

It's not exactly doing groundbreaking shit now is it.

I'd say test drive unlimited should have won this.

TDU is the underrated game of the last year. Though it did not do itself any favors by coming to the retail half finished.

Pretty logical awards at a first glance. (starts second glance)

Soundtrack: Guitar Hero 2?

Am I missing something or are they saying a DVD full of licensed music is more worthy of praise than orchestral scores written from scratch?

Making all those calls to get the rights, saving up the pocket money to pay for them, then cobbling it together is no easy task! :)

Most or all of the tracks on Guitar Hero II were rerecorded by other musicians, painstakingly synched, ripped apart, EQ'ed and arranged in a form that playing the game makes the music feel 'natural', like you're the one performing.

No mean feat.

And certainly a lot more than just putting some licensed tracks on a disc.

gears of war is good - but not THAT good.

c'mon.

voted for by testosterone fuelled dorky american games programmers methinks...

OMG TEH MUSCLES!!111

I bet you wanted Red Steel to come out on top, you strange individual.

I bet you wanted Red Steel to come out on top, you strange individual.

lol!

no - TP is GOTY for me. Obviously. :( Although I'm yet to play Okami, but that'll be a 2007 game for me.

Lack of praise of Twilight Princess is strange. Again.. there's obviously not enough muscles in it.

IMO - most (not all) programmers are into fancy tech.. it's not about gameplay - it's about technology. I know a some games programmers and they'd rather mess around with fancy shaders and whiz bang new effect possibilities.

Don't get me wrong - I loved playing through GoW (except for the underground sections - they were rank). It's definately up there with one of my favourites in the last year, but it's definately not the best.

From what I've heard/read - if it's not TP, then it's Okami....

but then again, they don't feature fancy graphics tech or TEH MUSCLES!

well - it's true!

give a programmer two options:

1) work on new fancy technology with graphics capabilities well beyond what you've ever used

2) work on older technology doing the same stuff you've done for the last 4 years

a lot of them will pick the newer stuff - and then be particularly impressed when they see a game doing stuff like that.

anyway.. what am I saying, I loved GoW. It just wasn't my GOTY.

That's worth a few :( , but I suppose they really mean "bestest graphics".

surely surely surely the art direction award should've gone to Okami, SotC or Killer 7 (was that a 2005 game?)

Can anyone explain how Viva Pinata got the award for "Outstanding Achievement in Character Performance - Female"...? Having not played the game I don't get it.

Can anyone explain how Gears of War got so much love? Madness.

well - it's true!

give a programmer two options:

a) work on new fancy technology with graphics capabilities well beyond what you've ever used

B) work on older technology doing the same stuff you've done for the last 4 years

a lot of them will pick the newer stuff - and then be particularly impressed when they see a game doing stuff like that.

They probably would. I would but I doubt it would affect my opinion on the game itself.

Can anyone explain how Gears of War got so much love? Madness.

dorky programmers voting for fancy graphics and TEH MUSCLES.

:(

anyway, if I were voting for D.I.C.E, here's my awards: (??? for ones I don't have an opinion on)

Overall Game of the Year: TP

Console Game of the Year: TP

Computer Game of the Year: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Outstanding Innovation in Gaming: Wii Sports (Nintendo/Nintendo)

Handheld Game of the Year: New Super Mario Bros

Outstanding Achievement in Animation: SotC

Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction: SotC

Outstanding Achievement in Soundtrack: TP

Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composition: TP

Outstanding Achievement in Sound Design: ??

Outstanding Character Performance - Male: GoW

Outstanding Achievement in Character Performance - Female: Midna: TP

Outstanding Achievement in Story and Character Development: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo/Nintendo)

Outstanding Achievement in Game Play Engineering: Wii Sports (Nintendo/Nintendo)

Outstanding Achievement in Visual Engineering: Gears of War (Epic Games/Microsoft Game Studios)

Outstanding Achievement in Game Design: Wii Sports (Nintendo/Nintendo)

Sports Game of the Year: Wii Sports

Strategy Game of the Year: Company of Heroes (Relic/THQ)

First-Person Action Game of the Year: Half Life Episode 1

Fighting Game of the Year: ??

Racing Game of the Year: Mario Kart DS

Role-Playing Game of the Year: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Bethesda Softworks/2K Games)

Children's Game of the Year: Animal Crossing Wild World (this is a stupid category)

Action/Adventure Game of the Year: TP

Massively Multiplayer Game of the Year: ???

Family Game of the Year: Wii Sports

Simulation Game of the Year: ???

Downloadable Game of the Year: Uno

Mobile Game of the Year: ????

Most or all of the tracks on Guitar Hero II were rerecorded by other musicians, painstakingly synched, ripped apart, EQ'ed and arranged in a form that playing the game makes the music feel 'natural', like you're the one performing.

No mean feat.

And certainly a lot more than just putting some licensed tracks on a disc.

I stand humbly corrected. I've not played the game so assumed it was just like singstar but sync'd.

lol!

no - TP is GOTY for me. Obviously. :( Although I'm yet to play Okami, but that'll be a 2007 game for me.

Lack of praise of Twilight Princess is strange. Again.. there's obviously not enough muscles in it.

IMO - most (not all) programmers are into fancy tech.. it's not about gameplay - it's about technology. I know a some games programmers and they'd rather mess around with fancy shaders and whiz bang new effect possibilities.

Don't get me wrong - I loved playing through GoW (except for the underground sections - they were rank). It's definately up there with one of my favourites in the last year, but it's definately not the best.

From what I've heard/read - if it's not TP, then it's Okami....

but then again, they don't feature fancy graphics tech or TEH MUSCLES!

I don't know, I really liked TP but GoW's online multi-player made it my GOTY. Judging by your comments in this thread I'm guessing you didn't play it online much as you seem to be talking about the single player. If I was comparing the single player experience both games offer then TP would win, hands down. The thing is though, for a lot of people single player isn't enough. I reckon I've put about 5 times the play time into GoW in comparison to TP. So in my eyes at least, it's not so outrageous that GoW won so many awards.

Saying that, I haven't touched it since getting Rainbow 6: Vegas a couple of weeks back so maybe it's not as great as I first believed. :( And no, I'm not your typical muscle whoring, shooty gamer. And yes, I adore TP too.

She doesn't have any dialogue though, just makes some sounds. Not saying it isn't a great character, but I'd have thought that would have made her exempt by default.

She has dialogue, she just doesn't speak it. In terms of character she leaps off the screen in a way nothing else did this year.