IGNORED

Giving up gaming

deKay

imagine having pins and needles sort of pain in your hand all the time, and which occasionally shoots up your arm to your hand in pulses.

thats carpal tunnel syndrome.

:blink:

I have this. They fucking ache at times (well, pretty much all the time), working with computers all day then browsing here and playing games doesn't really help matters, but it won't get any worse. It affects my thumb, index, and middle fingers quite badly. I'm on the waiting list to have both wrists 'done'. This involves a bit of cutting and snipping, and they don't knock you out. But once it's done the pain will disappear instantly, they say.

I've been suffering it for quite some time now, and was off work last year for quite a while, they thought it was RSI or bilateral tendonitis at the time and that all I needed was rest. The physio gave me some excercises to do and some splints to wear, which didn't really help. I've had a few steroid injections in the wrists, which also haven't helped. They finally decided it was Carpal Tunnel, and at the start of December I was put on the waiting list. I haven't had the date come through yet, anytime in the next six months they said. I can't bloody wait 'til it's done and dusted.

Oh, it doesn't hurt when I play. It's just the rest of the time. Well, when I push myself up on my hands, pick up stuff, write, that sort of thing. I just want to give my hands a rest for a week or so.

I don't have DOA. Well, not any online versions anyway.

Joking dude. You could have no hands, eyes or experience and you'd still beat me! :blink:

Get well soon

That sounds like the most dull thing ever.

Hmm, horses for courses I suppose ... (actually it was slightly tongue in cheek when I said that)

I suppose films is probably the way ahead, if your wrists are limp then holding a book for a prolonged period could be difficult. If you don't fancy any of the TV boxsets like BSG, alias etc... then perhaps you could go high-brow and use the time to watch something like Edgar Reitz's 15 hour Heimat on DVD?

Doctor The Rev here with a prescription!

B0002JP572.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1089414496_.jpg

One a day for a week. And then get the rest - Jason Goes To Hell, Freddy Vs. Jason and Jason X. (Yes, Jason X was released before Freddy Vs. Jason, but it makes more sense if it goes after it. And it's actually really good.)

And if you need to fill more time:

11707.JPG

One a day for a week. And then get the rest - Jason Goes To Hell, Freddy Vs. Jason and Jason X. (Yes, Jason X was released before Freddy Vs. Jason, but it makes more sense if it goes after it. And it's actually really good.)

I still have the rest of the Elm Street films to get through yet!

11707.JPG

I'm having trouble with my hands, not my sleep. I simply can't watch Bobblehead drone on with his overactive scripts that attempt to squeeze every word in existence into each programme.

So I didn't play any games at all yesterday - the first day in several months. I've not started shaking or anything, and there's no change in my wrists yet. I actually made them worse at the end of last week because of some heavy lifting and stuff, so that hasn't helped.

Last night, I went shopping, watched the last series of Peep Show, and read EGM which arrived. So far so good.

Take up running. Get a pair of running shoes and set a goal for some future race (10k, half marathon, full marathon). When you have the traing to do it'll get you off the consoles and it does become addictive.

I only started running in August and completed my first marathon last Sunday. It's a great buzz to see how far and hard you can push yourself.

My wrists are shot to pieces this week. I can't put any weight on my hands at all, and I've developed a twitch in my right hand which is making writing difficult. I think I may have to (shock!) stop playing games for a bit to rest them. I'm pretty sure it isn't the gaming that's caused it, but it isn't helping.

So, what to do instead? I mean, people giving up smoking chew gum and stuff. What can I do?

(suggestions of a wanking nature relating to either the cause or the solution not appreciated, thanks)

real life?

Yesterday was day two.

Wrists still feel about the same. I don't think juggling with a printer at work helped though. I actually had a few pangs for games last night. Very odd. Filled in my evening with stuff too filthy to mention here, some TV, and a puzzle book.

Day three over and done, now.

Read about half of a book, watched bit of news on TV, and watched Nacho Libre on DVD. Also spent much longer than usual making dinner (had a roast - aces). And more filth. No gaming pangs last night.

However, they played The Black Parade on the radio on my drive in to work this morning, and I Guitar Hero'd along with it (even though it isn't a GH track - I made up the fret buttoning :/) using the steering wheel as a controller. FFS.

Four days down, three (including the hardest two) to go...

Last night, I finished the book I was reading, did some puzzles, and actually found things on TV worth watching - Mock the Week and Family Guy.

Wrists feel great today. Certainly a lot better, anyway.

ALL DONE!

My wrists feel fine, and have done all weekend. Tonight, the gaming begins again.

The weekend was hard. The weather was crap so I didn't fancy trotting out anywhere, and for the first time in ages I *didn't* have any DIY or jobs around the house that needed doing. Typical, eh?

Watched Holy Grail and Chocolat on DVD instead, hung around here and #edge for a while, and watched shite on the box. Spent a while reading Clarkson's new book, and also cleared out a pile of games and stuff from my office to make way for more games.

Eventually, the weekend passed and I'm back on it. Phew, eh?

Make sure you ease yourself back, binge-gaming will just wreck your wrists again!!

It wasn't the gaming that wrecked them in the first place - it was carrying heavy equipment (that slipped and I half-caught). The gaming was just making them feel worse (as was changing gear in the car, opening doors, etc. etc.).