Sign in to follow this  
FishyFish

Cinema Anti-Piracy Ads

These things get right on my tits. I know it's been discussed before about how, if you've paid good money to go watch a film at the cinema, you shouldn't be sermonised about the evils of piracy, but do they have to customize the ad to show a 'pirated' version of the film you're about to watch? I've paid a wad of good cash to see the film legitimately and, 2 minutes before it comes on, I get treated to a load of low-res, grainy spoiler clips of the movie I'm about to watch. Plus, the advert states that one good reason to avoid DVD piracy is that you'll not get the head of someone needing the loo in the shot. Somewhat ironically, a couple of people walked in front of me during the ad, blocking the view. I guess I should just rent (legitimate) DVD's instead of partaking of this shoddy, second-rate, cinema experience, eh?

Still, at least they seem to have removed the scenes where that stupid shit-scared couple jump out of their skin when Kong beats his chest, or whatever.

Renting the DVD wont help you. The majority of new releases I get from Blockbuster now have that shitty 'You wouldn't steal a car, You wouldn't steal a ...' trailer at the start. Worse still, depending on your DVD player, it might be unskippable (along with the 4 other trailers on there).

To be fair, those adverts are better than the "You wouldn't steal a car/you wouldn't steal a horse/you wouldn't dress up a monkey as a french prostitute and drive it around in a limousine feeding it crisps" ads, in that they actually try and sell the idea of paying for films to you, rather than pre-emptively accusing you of being a criminal and sneering at you.

Renting the DVD wont help you. The majority of new releases I get from Blockbuster now have that shitty 'You wouldn't steal a car, You wouldn't steal a ...' trailer at the start. Worse still, depending on your DVD player, it might be unskippable (along with the 4 other trailers on there).

I fucking hate those adverts - they make me feel like a criminal when I've bought a legit DVD. Stupid fuckers must realise the DVD rips don't have the patronising unskippable adverts on. I wouldn't mind if I could skip them, but when you get that liberty took away from you... grrr.

Anyone who buys a camcorder copy of a film deserves to lose money. If anything shitty cam versions do the anti-piracy cause tons of good.

The classic anti-piracy ad has to be the "four weddings!" one from the late-90s - "excuse me but this video I bought off you, a dodgy market trader in a dodgy market, was really bad-quality. I want my £2 back!".

It's a block of cheese!

o/\o - Armstrong and Miller in effect.

Whoever thought it would be a really great idea to have unskippable content on a DVD clearly doesn't sit down and watch them. I have this vision of said twat sitting down to enjoy Four Weddings And a Funeral, getting half-way through the unskippable trailers/nonsense, but as he takes a teep breath to have a moan he realises.... doh!

DVDShrink FTW

I fucking hate those adverts - they make me feel like a criminal when I've bought a legit DVD. Stupid fuckers must realise the DVD rips don't have the patronising unskippable adverts on. I wouldn't mind if I could skip them, but when you get that liberty took away from you... grrr.

So what you're saying is that we should all pirate our DVDs. I agree with you. The Corpse Bride had so much unskippable shit at the start that I've never gone out to buy a DVD since and won't in the future. I'll pick up the odd bargain but why sit and get told I'm a thief when I can watch a beautiful HD rip with no bullshit. Of course that means I am a naughty pirate but they started it.

Are there DVD players that can skip 'unskippable' stuff?

I'm not sure what the mechansim is for rendering a certain section unskippable, but if it were just a flag embedded in that chapter, then you could have a player that ignored it.

I'm not sure what the mechansim is for rendering a certain section unskippable, but if it were just a flag embedded in that chapter, then you could have a player that ignored it.

Some DVD's player can manage it, but VLC player on the PC allows you to jump straight to the movie everytime, and oddly enough it also plays any movie or TV file you DL of the intermaweb <_<

what amuses me is that they obviously havent watched a pirate dvd in the last thirteen years or so. The vast majority of pirate copies available on the web or in markets etc now are done on digital camcorders and have a reasonable enough picture and pretty decent sound. My pirate of fearless is amazing and my pirate of superman returns is very very very very good. Far removed from the piss poor grainy attempt on the advert. Perhaps if the cinemas stopped charging me £9 (almost) to see a movie in the cinema I wouldnt resort to downloading a perfectly acceptable version to watch on my nice big telly at home where the popcorn doesnt require me to remortgage my home.

You can. I think it depends how closely your manufacturer stuck to the DVD spec when writing their firmware. My Pioneer player wont skip anything but my Philips will.

Some DVD players have a small cache of on-board memory used to remember the positions of DVDs, so you'd still have to watch the piracy warnings. But never again (on the same disc)! Great idea.

what amuses me is that they obviously havent watched a pirate dvd in the last thirteen years or so. The vast majority of pirate copies available on the web or in markets etc now are done on digital camcorders and have a reasonable enough picture and pretty decent sound. My pirate of fearless is amazing and my pirate of superman returns is very very very very good. Far removed from the piss poor grainy attempt on the advert. Perhaps if the cinemas stopped charging me £9 (almost) to see a movie in the cinema I wouldnt resort to downloading a perfectly acceptable version to watch on my nice big telly at home where the popcorn doesnt require me to remortgage my home.

Why spoil an anti-piracy ad with the truth?

what amuses me is that they obviously havent watched a pirate dvd in the last thirteen years or so.

Of course they have, they just want to convince people that they're all shit.

Imagine the advert otherwise: "Don't pirate DVD folks! They've got great pictures and amazing sound, but don't buy them! Pay 7 quid to get into the cinema instead and get royally ripped off for popcorn! Woooooo!"

See? <_<

Some DVD's player can manage it, but VLC player on the PC allows you to jump straight to the movie everytime, and oddly enough it also plays any movie or TV file you DL of the intermaweb <_<

I can hear people saying "but I don't want to watch DVDs on my PC", hah.

Well I do, and I use a progcalled AnyDVD which not only skips any DVD player program straight to the film, but gets past unskippable stuff on so-called sanctioned players like PowerDVD, it even slows the drive down so it doesn't sound like Concorde taking off. Quality bit of prog there.

And yes, VLC deserves a medal. My mate has this dodgy German cable box and streams stuff off that to all his computers using VLC, so he can basically watch cable telly on whatever PC he's using.

The classic anti-piracy ad has to be the "four weddings!" one from the late-90s - "excuse me but this video I bought off you, a dodgy market trader in a dodgy market, was really bad-quality. I want my £2 back!".

Trainspotting? Cause you can't understand it, they're all talking Scotch! Verbal contract, ain't worth the paper it's written on, etc etc etc

The simple thing that everyone can agree on is that putting these on DVDs and making them unskipable is pissing folk off no end and will end up with some folk downloading a copy to cut out all that crap. Secondly targeting the audience at the cinema or who have bought the bloody DVD is also mental as they ain't the folk you're trying to get at. They've already paid ther money and made the choice to watch/buy the original product.

DVDs these days are almost like old video rentals where you had to fast-forward through a half-hour of trailers to get to the bloody film.

Perhaps if the cinemas stopped charging me £9 (almost) ...

<_<:lol:

£9 - that's criminal. To think I piss and moan about paying 7 euros at out local, and to be honest, we go to the cinema a lot lot less. Chavs talking through the film, piss poor reel quality yet they keep pushing the prices up.

Completely agree with everyone's sentiments regarding the DVD anti piracy trailers. BBC DVD's are terrible for this, pushing anti-piracy trailers and their own promo reel and logos under your nose before you can watch the show you've paid for. They're the best advertising piracy has ever had, and if anything I have less problem with film piracy than I ever have done, as without all this bullshit locked down trailers, pirated films are actually offering me a superior viewing experience.

Completely agree with everyone's sentiments regarding the DVD anti piracy trailers. BBC DVD's are terrible for this, pushing anti-piracy trailers and their own promo reel and logos under your nose before you can watch the show you've paid for. They're the best advertising piracy has ever had, and if anything I have less problem with film piracy than I ever have done, as without all this bullshit locked down trailers, pirated films are actually offering me a superior viewing experience.

Do BBC DVDs still have that bloody annoying promo thing with the Cast track? It's about 3 minutes of unskippable clips of other BBC stuff, and the mere thought of having to sit through that every time I want to watch a BBC DVD just makes me want to copy the DVD and strip out all the crap.

Perhaps if the cinemas stopped charging me £9 (almost) to see a movie in the cinema I wouldnt resort to downloading a perfectly acceptable version to watch on my nice big telly at home where the popcorn doesnt require me to remortgage my home.

argh!

i work in a cinema and we get this all the time its so annoying. It costs £6.20 a ticket. £5, £3 or even as little as £1. If you go at off peak times. The zoo down the road charges £12 a ticket. The bowling alley £5 a game. The gym is £30 a month. Its how much stuff costs these days and its entirely your choice to go there.

Almost £9. Thats crap. For £10.99 you can visit for a whole month and watch as much as you like.

The popcorn remorgage thing became tiresome before my first shift was over. Is your house only worth £2?

The worst thing is when people moan about the price of coke. You get 1 pint of coke for £2.20. It costs that for a 1/4 in most restaurants... harvester charge £2.50 for a half and they dont have the expense of running a cinema.

Cinema chains do not make much money and are not charities. They also tend to get rubbish prices from distributers because they dont order as much as someone like tesco. Thats why they tend to go bankcrupt/merge/get bought every couple of years. This year most of us are bleeding cash from the poor film product. Last year was up on other years because of an abnormally high number of big british films.

/rant over

The piracy ads are annoying but its only an ad. The AA advert is worse. The piracy one we have no control over and have to show legally.

The piracy ads are annoying but its only an ad. The AA advert is worse. The piracy one we have no control over and have to show legally.

I don't think this is true. It may be cinema policy but I don't think it's the law. Indie cinemas don't show them.

I really don't see how you can argue that cinema food etc is not overpriced. I used to work in a cinema and I was actually quite embarrased at how much we charged people for stuff.

Fair do's f2097. I wanted to give my toddler his first cinema experience this week so I took him to the kids club (or whatever it's called) on Tuesday. It's on everyday at 11:00, with a different movie every week. Only £1.95 for kids, adults go free.

There was a health and safety issue so the screen was closed. We were given a comp ticket for the bairn to see Cars, so I only paid for me and his brother. But then the toddler didn't like the experience so we left not long after the curtain went up. The staff noticed what was going on and gave me a full refund.

Overall, a fantastic experience all round. Apart from the toddler, I'll give it another year before trying that again.

rant

If only. Here Odeon have taken over and it's £6 a ticket unless you're a student, pensioner or child. No discount for going at off-peak times and no monthly passes.

As for the food arguement :blink: It might be vaguely comparable to pricey pubs, but at £2.50 for a 500ml bottle of Coke it's nearly three times the 90p that the papershop just up the road charges for exactly the same product, ditto £1.20 for a big bag of M&M's, Malteasers etc compared to the cinemas £2.60 (hence I buy there and sneak the stuff in with me :D). I've seen the ssaying the actual films make them bugger all and most of their profits come from the food, but they need to get a lot closer to reasonable before I'll be buying it at the venue.

If only. Here Odeon have taken over and it's £6 a ticket unless you're a student, pensioner or child. No discount for going at off-peak times and no monthly passes.

Four pound odd for me, three pound odd for my son. Tuesdays must be special. That's an Odeon.

EDIT: Just checked, it's the cheap seats. But the pricey ones are the front two rows, which are crap anyway.

Four pound odd for me, three pound odd for my son. Tuesdays must be special. That's an Odeon.

Actually they did used to do that on tuesdays at the Odeon in Lincoln when I went to uni there, but in Norwich the cinema was a UCI before Odeon bought them out, and they retained their 'no discounts' pricing structure (and at the same time ramped up the standard price by 50p :blink:).

It's £9.50 at my local. Coke and popcorn brings the whole experience to around £15 or more. For ONE person. If my girlfriend and I go, it would be £30. On top of that, we get the frankly insulting add telling us we're thieves and that we wouldn't rape a corpse so why would we "steal" a film. Well we don't, hence why we paid £30 to see the advert.

I don't mind trailers on films, I like films so I like to have a few previews of films I may not have noticed otherwise. However, the problem is with the unskippable ones which contain massive spoilers. I can't remembe the name of it, but we were watching the trailers at the start of a DVD we rented and we said "Hey, this films looks good, we should check it out". The came the fucking spoilers, one after another, until we'd pretty much seen the whole film. We decided we wouldn't bother anymore.

To me, it's the equivalent of printing "Shoplifting is illegal, we're watching you" on till receipts. It's fucking stupid and only seen by the people who ARE buying the goods legally.

I was thinking that if they can't put the anti-piracy ads on movies and DVDs then where can they put them, that'll make people take notice. Surely they'd be better paying for TV advertising in some regard? At least then you're appealing to an audience made up of people who do and don't pirate stuff.

Like almost everyone has said in this thread, you pay your £9 or £15 or whatever and then get lectured about being a thief. No wonder it pisses people off and even makes them think "fuck it, I'll download the DVD rip".

Personally I'd attend the cinema a lot more, even at those costs, if they could gurantee that anyone who fucks around in any sort of way, is ejected from the place. You might be paying upwards of £30 for a family of four to go to the cinema, and have the film ruined by idiots talking, playing with their phones, getting bored and going into other films then coming back and messing around, throwing stuff, giving a running commentary etc etc etc.

All of sudden those £2 discs off the market or those torrent downloads suddenly seem a damn sight more attractive then pissing £30 down the drain. And no matter how many times they hark on about shit quality releases etc, it still doesn't change the fact that you can often get some damn watchable stuff pretty much the week or so after the official cinema release . You think your average family give a toss about 5.1 sound and such when it's going to cost them £30 a time?