Jump to content

We Want Your Soul


Recommended Posts

On 15/02/2021 at 12:16, ZOK said:

I was fiddling around with that app that lets you listen to radio stations around the world last night and it inadvertently led me to a station in Bristol I’d never heard of, with a DJ I’d never heard of, playing a brilliant tune I’ve never heard of by a band I’d never heard of.

 

And this morning I shelled out twenty notes for the 12” it’s on because the other track on there is brilliant too. And it turns out both tracks are on YouTube with brilliant fan videos! So enjoy brilliant Psychic Mirrors, mes amis:

 


 

 

Fantastic find. Never hear either of those before. Am doing further research. This thread is still delivering after all these years.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you like Disco? I like Disco.

 

This one's from 1978 - it featured on the album "The Best Disco In The City" by Venise, as well as on producer Jo Bisso's album of the same name - both versions appear to be identical based on what I've heard online. I just grabbed the digital version from the Jo Bisso compilation African Disco Experimentals (1974-1978).

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can get this repress of a Herbie Hancock promo 12” from Juno now for a tenner, and it represents an incredible bargain.

 

Side A:

 


Side B:

 


Not to be missed!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, its like a reggae/funk/afrobeat/disco/house crossover but its fabulous! *looks at Discogs prices and cries*

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Charming city pop cover of Chaka Khan or Ned Doheny's What cha' Gonna Do For Me by Kaoru Aizawa. Accompanied with an interesting video of someone's holiday snaps of anonymous German autobahn and the tram system in Dortmund. Finishing with a flourish with a lovely plate of sausages and what looks like a breakfast pastry.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/03/2021 at 13:15, esar said:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, its like a reggae/funk/afrobeat/disco/house crossover but its fabulous! *looks at Discogs prices and cries*

 

 

You can get it on the Jumpin’ compilation.  Volume 2 is fantastic and arguably better than the first.

 

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Jumpin-Original-Full-Length-Classics-From-The-Disco-Underground/master/53685

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dave Lee’s Remixed With Love albums aren’t exactly priced to move either. They’re amazing but all seem to cost as much as a small hatchback. Same with the Under The Influence ones. 
 

Saying that, there’s lots of copies of The Men in the Glass Booth on BBE’s Discogs account and that’s one of the best disco complications going. Enough for a lifetime.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The crowd can barely contain themselves! Fair play, they kept the energy up until the bitter end though. Chromeo used to do some great mixtapes and I'm almost certain that was on one of them, the pitched up voice sounds very familiar. Great tune in any case!

 

Think this slinky number was on one of them too. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheri - Murphy’s Law was on Chromeo’s DJ-Kicks album. Great track from a great mix. Still listen to France Joli’s Get Over You all the time, which I first heard featured there. 
 

 

 

 

Onra flipped the Murphy’s Law beat nicely on his Long Distance LP. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey folks, I've decided to start sharing some mixes made since learning to DJ. I'm not very good, I've only been doing it a year and a bit now. But it's time to stop just sitting on a pile of them and share out some of my favourite recordings.

 

This particular disco-ish mix done last summer was heavily heavily inspired from recommendations in this thread and others, so my hope is that people might enjoy it. It's not technically the best, it's got mistakes, despite having the Rekordbox training wheels securely fastened. But hey it's got some good tunes.

I'm calling it disco, it goes from funky soul, disco, italo disco and some pop, and a few things I just wanted to play. I find it hard to keep to one strict genre, partly because I'm fickle and partly because I don't quite have the collection yet. Anyway, here you go...

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice, will check it out this afternoon! Eclectic sounds good to me. If I get a moment I'll try and do a few more mixes as they're always fun to do.

 

Here's a really nice bit of independent 80s soul. Rampantly bootlegged but still impossible to find. It's that good I can see why people don't want to part with it.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, cowfields said:

Hey folks, I've decided to start sharing some mixes made since learning to DJ. I'm not very good, I've only been doing it a year and a bit now. But it's time to stop just sitting on a pile of them and share out some of my favourite recordings.

 

This particular disco-ish mix done last summer was heavily heavily inspired from recommendations in this thread and others, so my hope is that people might enjoy it. It's not technically the best, it's got mistakes, despite having the Rekordbox training wheels securely fastened. But hey it's got some good tunes.

I'm calling it disco, it goes from funky soul, disco, italo disco and some pop, and a few things I just wanted to play. I find it hard to keep to one strict genre, partly because I'm fickle and partly because I don't quite have the collection yet. Anyway, here you go...

 

 

 

This was great, really enjoyed it! Top work.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Much preferred the Disco one to the Techno one. Good track selection and no glaring errors. Slightly frantic pace for some of the tracks I recognised though! Do you have tracklists for your mixes?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally got round to watching the Teddy Pendergrass documentary that was on last year and wow, it is fantastic.  If ever there was a story begging to be made into a film, this is it.


So I thought I’d post the best mix of one one of my favourite songs featuring him on vocals, and let’s face it one of the best soul records ever made.  Harmless released a Mike Maurro compilation a few years ago that’s worth seeking out if you don’t already have it. 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

What a version that is. I love the Theo Parrish edit of it too, it's really cleverly done and risky to tit about with as it's a perfect record in its original form. You've probably heard this a million times, but here it is anyway. Another Teddy anthem.

 

 

 

In other news Bluey and Gilles Peterson's STR4TA album got released today. Definitely one for the Brit Funk mob. They've got an amazing ear for the sound as it could be from 1981, but at the same time it's not just a load of revivalist bollocks. Massively recommended.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm definitely going to check that Str4ta album out. Rhythm in your Mind has that classic sound.

 

In other news, Jeff Young is leaving his show on Jazz FM this weekend. Sad times. That show has been a staple of my Sunday mornings (Sunday Brunch fcuk off) for years. But starting next week, the return of Robbie Vincent. So all is not lost!!!

 

Checked it out. There's a couple of duffers. But most of it is like being back at the Darenth Tavern, or Flicks Dartford early/mid 80's. Fantastic stuff

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/03/2021 at 22:53, Mr Monday said:

I finally got round to watching the Teddy Pendergrass documentary that was on last year and wow, it is fantastic.  If ever there was a story begging to be made into a film, this is it.


So I thought I’d post the best mix of one one of my favourite songs featuring him on vocals, and let’s face it one of the best soul records ever made.  Harmless released a Mike Maurro compilation a few years ago that’s worth seeking out if you don’t already have it. 

 

 

 


It’s such a cool film, I went to see that at the cinema when it came out. I WAS IN A CINEMA WITH OTHER PEOPLE! Oh, the memories...

 

By the way, if you dig that you would probably enjoy the autobiography of Shep Gordon, TP’s manager for many years pre- and post accident. Loads of Teddy stuff in there, it’s a great audiobook: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32109391-they-call-me-supermensch

 

And although I love all his trad stuff this is one of my special favourites, I still play it if I ever I play out, a banger from 1992:

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This came up on a random Spotify playlist today following on from listening to the new str4ta album. Jazz Funk oral pleasure. The thing is with this era of music, there are gems to be unearthed everywhere. Not heard this before today, but listen to the musicianship in this 7 minutes of Jazz Funk pleasure. Mind blown.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.