We Want Your Soul

Popping that on tonight for sure. Wish someone would do one about the 80s jazz-dance scene. The Wag Club, Paul Murphy, Colin Curtis and that lot. Seems like there's about 5 minutes of footage in existence of those dudes.

You’ll be very pleasantly surprised at how much amazing vintage footage they have in this. Like footage of Froggy and Chris Hill DJing, it’s fantastic.

I purchased a bunch of Disco/Boogie back in May when Unidisc had a good sale. I've made a playlist of the very best stuff, as there's just too many good tracks to share! There's a few classics in there, plus some stuff I had not previously heard of. It's mostly synth heavy 80s stuff, but there's a few traditional disco tunes in there too. I've stuck all the Sylvester tracks at the end as there were a lot of them. Enjoy!

Billy Preston - If You Let Me Love You

Chris Mills - Cold Turkey

Denroy Morgan - I'll Do Anything for You

Feel - I'd Like to

France Joli - Gonna Get Over You

Gil Silverbird - Fools Paradise

Kano - I Need Love

Kumano - I'll Cry for You

Lime - Gold Digger (Remix)

Maurice Massiah - 50/50 Love

Musique - Summer Love Theme

Northend feat. Michelle Wallace - Happy Days

Pure Energy - Love Game

Sharon Redd - Never Give You Up

Sunbear - I Heard the Voice of Music Say

The System - You Are in My System (Extended Vocal)

T.S. Monk - Too Much Too Soon

Unique - What I Got Is What You Need

Unlimited Touch - I Hear Music in the Street

West Phillips - Sucker for a Pretty Face (I'm Just a)
Sylvester - Rock The Box / Lovin' Is Really My Game / Sex / Be With You / All I Need / Trouble In Paradise

• Upvote 1
On 25/07/2020 at 14:24, ZOK said:

You’ll be very pleasantly surprised at how much amazing vintage footage they have in this. Like footage of Froggy and Chris Hill DJing, it’s fantastic.

Just watched it and thought it was fantastic! Just a really positive hour. Great seeing Chris Hill doing his thing. Also very good to see Colin Curtis and Snowboy on the telly. What lovely blokes they are.

Loved that extended British Hustle section too. It’s got me digging my Hi-Tension 12”s out.

I maintain I would love to see a jazz-dance documentary in the same vein. See what happened to all the heavyweight dancers that got into mental Latin and modal bits that went on for 20 minutes. 

Spotify added Skull Snaps only album recently. A superb album and plenty of highlights but I'll stick track 1 in here, it's a brilliant upbeat song.

• Upvote 2

I don't think I've posted this before. Heavyweight business from Davide Romani who was Change and in B.B & Q Band, which you can tell immediately. The album is great too and features Kashif, a young Mellisa Morgan, Dennis Coffey and Fonzi Thornton. Seems to be a bit of a forgotten one which is a shame.

• Upvote 3

Good finds. I think I have most on vinyl as they've all seemed to stay at rock bottom prices. I think I even found Dreamer in the giveaway bin outside Flashback! 

In a similar vein is this monster. One album wonder from Richie Weeks and some lads from Instant Funk. Spot the sample @acidbearboy!

I have that album somewhere, but I’ve not listened to it much. You’ll have to tell me the sample as I don’t recognise it! Another good tune though. 

What genre tag do you guys like to use for this early 80s  stuff?

Bravo for not jumping on Whosampled, that’s what I had to do!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=fSdRD5bZsSQ

Genre is a tricky one with this kind of stuff. I’m not at all sure it’s boogie, so maybe just 80s soul? That’s very broad though and doesn’t really cover it.

I’d never have got that! 

I tend to use R&B as the genre tag for all black music and then add soul or funk tags in a different field. There’s always that crossover with Disco/Boogie though.

Defining characteristics:

Soul: smooth, lyrical, melodic. 

Funk: on the one!

Disco: straight 4/4 beat

Boogie: syncopated 4/4 beat - stuff you could roller skate too!

Why / how do you guys tag stuff by genre? I’ve never used it and all my digital stuff is on iTunes so it has whatever they say it has, but now I’ve got Serato I’m thinking I may have to grapple with it after all...as @Don Rosco said in another thread, looking at a list of track names instead of record sleeves seems a fairly opaque way of selecting tracks to say the least.

Personally, I think just enjoy organising stuff. I feel like I have so much digital music than I can’t possibly remember every great track and what style/mood it is, so the tags help me filter. I don’t DJ anymore but I think it’s just a hang up from that. It also helps you find that song you can’t remember the name of if you know it was from the 80s, has a female vocal and you ripped it from a compilation cd (assuming you’ve tagged accordingly).  

I use a free program called mp3tag to tag stuff in the first instance. iTunes is pretty flexible for editing tags. I’ve ceased caring for a tidy organised file structure - all my music is now in the root folder. You can just right click > show in Windows explorer for any track anyway. 

I use the grouping field for my personal tags, starting with the release year, so I can organise tracks in chronological order even if they are from a compilation or resissue. I also include the country, source (cdrip, vinylrip, digital, web), format (LP, EP, comp) and then tags relating to the music itself. 

• Upvote 1

I see (I think)...so from a quick read, I could use Mp3tag to look at my library in iTunes, compare it with Discogs and change the genre tags to what discogs says they should be? That seems pretty useful (if I understood it correctly!).

Mp3tag works on a file explorer level - you select the folder containing files you wish to edit. It can do one album/folder at a time or you can edit multiple tracks from different folders within a root folder.

Discogs genre categories are really broad. I'd recommend making your tagging system personal to you. I've been tweaking what information I include and how best to sort/view my tracks for a few years now - it's on ongoing process. Maybe you don't need the genre tags at all? How many tracks are you handling? Do you feel like you know them well? Do you have playlists already or would the tags help you create them (smart playlists are very handy)? Are you playing out? If so, you ought to make sure you don't have low bitrate mp3's which will sound crappy. It's a big job, even on a small collection. Like I say, though, I enjoy the process and I like browsing Discogs at the same time to join the dots between different musicians, producers etc.  

My problem is that I have an mp3 of pretty much every CD I've ever owned, plus loads of other stuff including digital purchases, vinyl rips and dodgy uploads from the web. If I was actually planning to DJ - I would start a new library and slowly import tracks one by one - making sure they were properly tagged (with artwork as a helpful identifier) and only the best stuff. But I mostly just listen to music at work, so I have a few playlists that sync with my phone - one for newly added music, another for old favourites & recent rediscoveries and then a smart playlist of 200 random tracks from my library that are unrated. Making a conscious effort to delete files from my library this year too!

Yeah, that’s a lot to unpack! The reason I think I need genres is because while I’m used to flipping through the record box and instantly recognising the sleeves of (say) hip hop tunes that I don’t necessarily know the names and artist of, they’ve also usually gravitated together in the playing out box (and I’m not playing out at the moment, although when things are normal again I might).

Now I’m playing with my new Serato setup it’s currently looking at my onboard iTunes library which is around 2000 tunes I’ve bought through Shazam on my phone as I’ve heard them - I don’t know what tunes are in that collection in any meaningful sense! Just that I liked them when I heard them.

I’ve also (although not linked it yet) got a drive with another 8000 odd tunes on. I probably know those a lot better, but I want to be able to type ‘hip hop’ or whatever into the Serato search bar and it show me all the hip hop tunes, so at least I’m not wading through a huge list of everything.

I want to do the minimum manual library work as that doesn’t thrill me, and I’m aware there are onboard solutions in Serato that can help but I don’t want to dig into those until I know the music best suits the tools. I’m not sure you can use the artwork in Serato, although I’ve barely scratched the surface of it yet so it may be an option.

I'd suggest editing tags in bulk to save time/effort. Create some playlists for different genres and add tracks to them as you listen to them, then later on you can select all the tracks in a particular playlist and edit the genre tags in bulk to match the playlist title. 

Sounds like you're a veteran DJ, you just gotta adapt to modern life! Organising your files is just like organising your records - there's no right or wrong way to do it - it's just whatever works best for you!

I'm quite fortunate in that I only DJ one genre digitally: Footwork / Juke. Everything else is vinyl. So I don't have to mess about with genre tags. I do have some habits though:

I have folders within serato with particular styles (Juke, footwork jungle, covers, widescreen etc)

Usually folders per gig or radio show, which get dumped as sub folders once done

I lean heavily on the pitch classification, if i'm playing something in 7a, I can filter by 7a, or 8a, or 6a to find a list of tracks I know won't clash

Killer tracks get a colour, then I can get all my killers immediately by ordering by colour, either in the main folder or style folders. Any colour will do

11 hours ago, Mr Monday said:

I love old clips like this 

Fantastic! By coincidence I was only playing this yesterday, that’s one of the many bangers featured:

8233EB84-CE82-46D7-8E5A-1401674AFBB4.thumb.jpeg.60f66fd0336b8c081fced10d42088c9b.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Yes! Salsoul always did great covers...here’s my favourite from the collection, proper Mrs Mills style ‘we’re ‘avin a disco paartaay!’ vibes:

3C3EB9A4-BCDE-41C3-BBC4-A425FC64C8B6.thumb.jpeg.ed731ce1504e0bb908de92a5c46bed15.jpeg

With bonus ‘and now we’re all pooped from the conga!’ on the back:

B8A79BEA-FA6F-471F-98F6-91327CF346E1.thumb.jpeg.d53de213ad8524f52821928746d3b71d.jpeg