Steam - UI Overhaul Out Now

Haven had a demo a while back but my PC didn't like it - however, this one seems to run for me. It's quite short but it gives players a bit of exploration, collecting and combat. :) I can see the "cleaning" of environments  being satisfying over the course of the game...

If you like games such as Rhythm Tengoku / Rhythm Heaven, have a look at the Rhythm Doctor demo. The goal is to press a button on the seventh beat of each bar, but each stage has various surprises that make that slightly trickier than it sounds. :) 

• Upvote 1

Summer sale now on. Nothing grabbed my interest. With so many competing delivery platforms offering great sales lately it's tough for Steam to stand out.

To be fair, the "items from your Steam wishlist are on sale!" emails might be more enticing if I'd bothered to update my wishlist in the last 8 years. When I've already bought F1 2015 for £1.51 through an Amazon misprice when it was the current year's F1 game, I'm not likely to get excited over F1 2011 for £2.49.

Bought Picrastination (which I feel moderately bad about cos it was only a fiver in the first place) and The Yellow King which is some sort of Lovecraftian dungeon crawler mmo and probably not a busy one given its 75% off.

Anyone still using a Steam Link? I finally got mine set up after five years or whatever and played through all of Control with it. 1080p60 with minimal issues, and although video encoding never handles red well it managed okay in this extremely red game. 9/10 would play PC games on the big TV again.

Wonder why they discontinued it, it's superb. I guess the Steam Link app on Android TV will do the same but there's so few cheap dongles for it.

• Upvote 1

Mine never really got on with my PowerLine network (although it could be also be my older processor) but will try it again when I've upgraded. Having said that, now that the PC is in the same room as the TV I should probably just get a long HDMI cable instead.

17 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Bought Picrastination (which I feel moderately bad about cos it was only a fiver in the first place) and The Yellow King which is some sort of Lovecraftian dungeon crawler mmo and probably not a busy one given its 75% off.

Refunded Yellow King. Redefining the controls was a nightmare and the support pages showed the controls aren't great once you do get to redefine them (mouse turn isn't on by default and I couldn't remap strafe to the left stick when I tried the pad) and, to be perfectly frank, life's too fucking short.

5 hours ago, RipePlums said:

I love my Steam Link and use it daily (in combination with the Steam Controller). I was considering a Shield to replace it but.... £150ish!

* Raises hand 

Steam controller lover here :wub:

• Upvote 1

Im back to the master race. I built the usual 3600 with 5700xt and 16GB.

Looking for a  "launch" game for my new PC on the steam sale.

What game could showcase it nicely? I was thinking of Titanfall maybe? Played RDR2 on the PS4.

4 hours ago, daifuco said:

Im back to the master race. I built the usual 3600 with 5700xt and 16GB.

Looking for a  "launch" game for my new PC on the steam sale.

What game could showcase it nicely? I was thinking of Titanfall maybe? Played RDR2 on the PS4.

Wolfenstein: Youngblood isn't meant to be amazing but a) is on sale and b) has good RTX. 

Control is a cracking choice, but don't think it's on sale particularly cheap? £31 on Humble. 

Ok. Question.  Whenever I used my steam link I would have to go log onto my pc. Even if I was logged on and it was asleep, waking it up wouldn’t be enough. I’d have to log in and then I’d be able to ccesss big picture mode.  What am I doing wrong.  I always assumed that the steam link would wake up a sleeping pc and then stream from it without any interactions needed around windows log in on the KC or the steam link.  

2 hours ago, rafaqat said:

Ok. Question.  Whenever I used my steam link I would have to go log onto my pc. Even if I was logged on and it was asleep, waking it up wouldn’t be enough. I’d have to log in and then I’d be able to ccesss big picture mode.  What am I doing wrong.  I always assumed that the steam link would wake up a sleeping pc and then stream from it without any interactions needed around windows log in on the KC or the steam link.  

Same issue. And if I try to use the Steam Link keyboard to enter the password it crashes the Steam Link and I need to restart it. A minor annoyance but my PC is at one end of my flat and the living room is at the other.

• Upvote 1
34 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

Same issue. And if I try to use the Steam Link keyboard to enter the password it crashes the Steam Link and I need to restart it. A minor annoyance but my PC is at one end of my flat and the living room is at the other.

Goddamit. I was hoping someone would say "oh, go into settings and click on blah". sigh.  Why can't it all just be seamless?  :(

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

I've always found the PC has to be unlocked and at least running steam.

Kind of destroys the convenience aspect of it for me. Needing the PC to be unlocked is an incredibly silly thing

On 28/06/2020 at 17:32, strider said:

Is anyone having issues buying things from Steam? I'm trying to buy Yakuza 0 through paypal and it keeps coming up with errors.

It often doesn't like PayPal for some reason. I've got an old bank account I use instead and just transfer a bit every now and then. 

I remember having to allow Wake up from LAN on my PC when using my Link. 

• Upvote 1

This will sound silly but it might be because it's yakuza. When I bought it for ps4 years ago it wouldn't go through because the site's payment processor (maybe it was PayPal) saw the word 'yakuza' and thought it was something illegal and blocked the transaction! 

That said it wouldn't accept my PayPal password last night and I know it's correct. I haven't used steam in ages so had to setup my bank card again instead. 

• Upvote 1
33 minutes ago, strider said:

I've just purchased Farcry Primal on Steam but it says it won't load because it can't find Uplay. Why do I need Uplay to launch a Steam game?

Because Ubisoft are colossal wankers. It’s the same for pretty much all their output.

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Because Ubisoft are cocks.

To be fair to them

image.png.a889c854fc7d896f7527ce96a0638f5b.png

It does say.

You've mistaken me for someone who reads small print. I've got that sorted. Am booting on Steam but now I can't take pictures with the steam screenshot key. 
What a faff. I'm already regretting buying that PC and it hasn't turned up yet :lol: