IGNORED

Steam - There's a sale on

choddo

In no particular order

Shinobi Non Grata

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1796870/SHINOBI_NON_GRATA/

2D side scrolling platformer, don't think English is first language of devs but who cares?  Lot of fun, linear as anything which I like.  Bosses seem tough and the levels more of an afterthough, it handles well, I love crouch stabbing being twice the speed of normal stabs for no reason and the cannon in incredible.  Big recommend.

Selaco

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1592280/Selaco/

Doom style FPS.  It's going for something with the fast deadly combat but I'm getting a few stutters and I'm not feeling it.  I seem to be in minority on that one.

There is No Light

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1132980/There_Is_No_Light/

It's weird.  Really weird.  Either the demo steamrolls through the plot on person, or they just you bare minimum and let you are it.  Combat also feels a bit weird to me, idea being to attack to build up an ability then use it.  Only some enemy attacks are interrupted with normal slashes, others with ability slashs so I assume I just save the ability?  Then the game just gives you three weapons that you can swap between and leaves you to it.  It's not bad at all, maybe not my kind of thing but it has an awful lot of polish.  It's just so weird though.

Dome Keeper

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1637320/Dome_Keeper/

Could not stop playing this.  At all.  Cross between Steamworld Dig, a base defence game and Solar Jetman.  You have a dome base, you go mining, bring resources back to dome.  Resources are heavy, too many and you'll slow to a crawl on the way back.  Periodically, black goo creatures that remind me of another game I cannot put my finger on attack the dome.  Busy mining while an attack happens?  Too bad, better run back to the do...oh you are dead.  Roguelike, so start again.  Upgrade tree gives a lot of useful stuff, have to really think about where to put resources.  You can just get fucked by RNG - don't find the resources or get a bad wave and you have no chance.  Something about it just clicked, already put a few hours in.  Another big recommend.

Thunder Ray

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1944910/Thunder_Ray/

It's Punch Out with more blood.  Didn't like my ultrawide setup (game was cut off top and bottom of screen), and the game options are language and credits.  That's it.  No tutorial either, just throws you into a fight and lets you at it.  Despite that, it feels a lot of fun (I mean it is just Punch Out) so I'll keep an eye on it.  My problems might just be my 21:9 monitor, hopefully everyone else is fine.

Antro

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1861250/Antro/

Trailer makes it seems like some kind of runner/high speed platformer.  Plays more like Inside or Limbo.  Not for me, and yes I did only last 5 minutes.

On the to-do list:

Potion Permit

Elsie

Midnight Fight Express

Chester's Revenge

Sweet Transit

Roots of Pacha

I'm enjoying Outmode - it's yet another neon synthwave driving game but none of the others have grabbed me - and ever since Drift Stage (and Power Drive 2000) fucked off I've been looking for an equivalent. And they're planning to release it next week. If the price is reasonable it could be a nice arcadey time waster. :) 

Also Melatonin is worth a look if you like cute Rhythm Heaven-style gaming.

9 hours ago, Qazimod said:

I'm enjoying Outmode - it's yet another neon synthwave driving game but none of the others have grabbed me - and ever since Drift Stage (and Power Drive 2000) fucked off I've been looking for an equivalent. And they're planning to release it next week. If the price is reasonable it could be a nice arcadey time waster. :) 

That looks great, reminds me of the TomyTronic racing game you held up to your eyes. Bright, neon fun!

I tried a few demos this morning…

Outmode - looks and sounds amazing, but the handling was weird and floaty.

Hellscreen - an FPS with a rear view mirror?! I really like the art style of this one, but it can be hard to make out what the hell is going on!

Metal Hellsinger - cool rhythm FPS where attacking in the beat causes more damage, and as you level up with combos more of the music track plays; vocals etc. Pretty awesome death metal soundtrack!

Race Me Now - a nice looking 90’s style blue skies racer. Handling is pretty terrible though.

Formula Top Down - Lovely looking cell shaded top-down F1 racer, not unlike Circuit Superstars. Pretty difficult but I reckon it’s gonna be one to watch.

Oddworld: Soul Storm - not really an indie title, is it?! I know it’s been out on PS5 / Xbox and Epic for ages but it’s just coming to Steam now. This is the perfect example of how NOT to create a demo…

Starts off with an unskippable video showing clips of the game and review scores. Once that’s done it’s into the main game, with an unskippable cutscene explaining the story. Once you finally get to control Abe, I exited to the menu only to find the “settings” option is greyed out and unavailable, so I’m forced to play this at a resolution that looks like shit on my monitor, with what looks like the lowest detail settings applied. If I hadn’t seen John Lineman’s video singing the praises of the PS5 game, I wouldn’t give this game the time of day based on the demo!

Super Gosu Cars - Another cell shaded racer with a behind-the-car view and a top down view like Supersprint. Seems fun, there’s weapon pickups etc. It’s a far cry from Mario Kart but it’s not terrible.

Agent 64 - A lot of care has gone into this to replicate the feel of Goldeneye / Perfect Dark. Looks great and I had a lot of fun with it. There’s also a section where you enter a toilet cubicle from an air vent…

I forgot to mention System Shock. I played the old (Unity?) demo a couple of years back and enjoyed that, but this Unreal version is stunning! Dripping with atmosphere, beautiful graphics with the occasional retro-pixilation effect as a nod back to its roots... I genuinely can't wait for the full release!

I've really enjoyed Above Snakes. It is similar to don't starve but nowhere near as punishing and has a really interesting mechanic where you start on a really small land and to add extra land, you have to explore and do activities like foraging and crafting. Once you have a specific workbench, you can unlock different terrain tiles (e.g. desert, forest, water etc.). These tiles unlock new characters, items, quests etc. The overworld map is built like carcassone so you have to unlock the correct pieces to develop the world shape that you want.

I've been chewing through a bunch of Demos on Steam Deck, here's some that I think are good:

Railbound - A really lovely looking puzzle game based around laying tracks to get carriages to a train in a certain order. Very simple and charming.

Fashion Police Squad - Basically a Doom/Chex Quest styled game where instead of killing enemies, you make them f a n c y. Amusing idea for a boomer shooter, and feels well polished in gameplay and looks.

Once Upon a Jester - A lovely and light story game where you put on shows to entertain the audience. Funny writing and voice acting, and is a lot of fun and a bit of variety even just for the single show the demo offers.

Here's a couple of games I think are alright, and probably a hit for other people:

Stonks 9800 - Amazing PC-98 styling, but it really is a game that deals in fictional stock market simulation - I couldn't make head nor tail of it.

Moonscars - Your typical high-animation 2D Soulslike Metroidvania. Not my cup of tea, but it plays well and looks great with my minimal knowledge.

And a couple I wasn't keen on:

Fech The Ferret - The rhythm action levels are pleasant enough, but for something that's seemingly mimicking Sonic in an open world concept,  the open world section has more clipping bugs than what I've experienced in any Sonic game combined. It's rough. Also, you have to force a certain version of Proton to get it working on the Deck otherwise the controls doesn't work. Good(tm)

Gacha Garden - a lovely looking casual sandbox idler, but unlike things like Cookie Clicker there's not enough elements to speed up the process, so you get bored shitless in 5 minutes tops.

Played through the tutorial of Cursed To Golf during lunch. From what I can gather, it's rogue like 2D golf.

I'm probably going back to it after work - it plays really well, and looks lovely as it has that chunky, well animated sprite work like Scott Pilgrim did back in the day. Great stuff.

On 14/06/2022 at 11:36, PikaStu said:

Agent 64 - A lot of care has gone into this to replicate the feel of Goldeneye / Perfect Dark. Looks great and I had a lot of fun with it. There’s also a section where you enter a toilet cubicle from an air vent…

I took a look at this too - it's a nice little homage.

Looks like they'll avoid plagiarism accusations by bundling a map/campaign creator so that the community can build any GE/PD content. :D 

Just spent a fun 20 mins trying out Frogue, a standard turn-based roguelite frog ninja vs penguins omni-directional platformer.  I wasn't quite why things were happening the way they were, but I liked it!

Not a Next Fest title so no demo sadly, but Dread Delusion is out on early access, a PSOne era inspired action RPG complete with wobbly textures (can be turned off in the options). Looks pretty awesome!

Steam Summer Sale is on tomorrow, Thursday 23rd at 6pm. Obviously it's not like the old days but I've been looking out for a few deals, added bits to my wishlist. Fingers crossed.

Don't forget to take screenshots of notable deals before everything crashes. ;) 

Grabbing Hades (40% off - now £11.69), and Clustertruck (75% off - now £2.74) myself.

Recommendations from me :wub: :

Katana Zero (40% off - now £6.83)

Crypt of the Necrodancer (80% off - now £2.19)

Shudder (51% off - now £0.39)

Fight'n Rage (75% off - now £3.74)

Recettear (80% off - now £2.59)

Dustforce DX (75% off - now £1.74)

Celeste (75% off - now £3.74)

If you're still having issues with the homepage while being logged in: Close the Steam client app. Go to the preferences section of the web browser version of Steam (https://store.steampowered.com). (Log in and click the name dropdown at the top right, then preferences). Try ticking and unticking some of the browsing/store filter/cookie options then going back to the homepage until it starts working.

I think they have some auth cookie/profile issue since the homepage loads just fine if you're not auth'd. Once it's working on the browser, it should be OK on the client too. Whether this shit is actually broken or you just need to get a successful login I'm not sure. Only the population of the main sale homepage was busted for me, every other page I could navigate to via the top menu was fine.

On 14/06/2022 at 15:20, PikaStu said:

I forgot to mention System Shock. I played the old (Unity?) demo a couple of years back and enjoyed that, but this Unreal version is stunning! Dripping with atmosphere, beautiful graphics with the occasional retro-pixilation effect as a nod back to its roots... I genuinely can't wait for the full release!

oh shit I no idea this was being redone! I always wanted to play it as a kid!

17 hours ago, Qazimod said:

17 hours ago, bradigor said:

Shudder is brilliant by the way

Shudder is excellent.  

Funny story time.  @squirtle asked me if I could test Shudder for him on the Steam Deck as I was lucky enough to get one early.  I had no idea what it was and thought he was a Horror fan and wanted me to test if the website streamed the movies well.  Cue me trying to enter a load of Steam codes he sent me for the game in the sites subscription section, then sending him pictures of horror films explaining that they looked great, with aspect ratios and stuff.  

🤦‍♂️

18 hours ago, Qazimod said:

Don't forget to take screenshots of notable deals before everything crashes. ;) 

Grabbing Hades (40% off - now £11.69), and Clustertruck (75% off - now £2.74) myself.

18 hours ago, bradigor said:

Shudder is brilliant by the way

You guys...🥰