Mass Effect 1 - let's keep ME3 spoilers out of this one too pls

Anyone watching Gamespot's live show right now? They just showed a much expanded version of the E3 trailer, had about a minute's extra footage in it.

Jesus :angry:

Just seen it. Marvelous all the way. This is going to be really -really- big.

edit: I hate it though when aliens speak English between them. Let's hope we will hear some alien languages or the immersion will somewhat suffer.

It's got GOTY written all over it: the production values are staggeringly high, the anticipation levels are through the roof across the board and despite rumours to the contrary, it IS hitting this year. ;)

I haven't been this excited about a game since I was 9 years old, waiting for Street Fighter 2 to hit the Mega Drive. In the months running up to it's release, I'd sit there with an unplugged joypad practicing fireball motions so I didn't have to learn from scratch when Capcom dropped the bomb. It might not require the same degree of dedication, but I've poured over every last bit of media for this game that I can find, at least 3 times over.

Bring it. November's too fucking far away.

You read the a-bit-rubbbish-but-not-as-shit-as-the-Halo-ones prologue book Preach? It should hopefully be quite a visceral, violent and morally grey game if it follows the same tone as the novel although I'm a bit disappointed that the main antagonist seems to have a bit of a weak revenge motive for his actions.

I'm going to Kirk the hell out of that blue chick.

Yes, 'Kirk' is a verb.

I thought you liked picking the lass if you have a choice (if i remember you said you'd rather look at a lady if you have to look at your game avatar)

So does that mean you're up for some Les-be-friend action with Blue Chick?

Zuper Edit: I think it was you. ;)

I'll probably give it a go and then mess up horrifically, deciding to go with something more generic.

Does anyone know what the voice situation is? Is it just one voice for male, one voice for female? or will there be a selection to choose from? I know it's unlikely due to the amount of voice over content that must mean, it'd be nice though.

I thought you liked picking the lass if you have a choice (if i remember you said you'd rather look at a lady if you have to look at your game avatar)

I do. Sad, but true. Wait - not sad, AWESOME.

Much like my Oblivion fella, I'm going to be the most horrifically evil bastard the galaxy has ever met. If I can be evil whilst Kirking alien girls, then so much the better.

So does that mean you're up for some Les-be-friend action with Blue Chick?

I remember reading somewhere that the blue chick isn't actually a chick. Her race is genderless, apparently. Which means she's gonna get it whether you're packing cock or muff.

Plus, it's a Bioware game, so there'll very likely be gay characters, if that's your thing.

There probably won't be multivoiceTM technology.

By the looks of the size of the game and all the conversation permutations as well as being a squillion different sentences, there'll be 1 bloke and 1 wifey voice.

(if i'm wrong i'll just edit this entire post to change my prediction)

You read the a-bit-rubbbish-but-not-as-shit-as-the-Halo-ones prologue book Preach? It should hopefully be quite a visceral, violent and morally grey game if it follows the same tone as the novel although I'm a bit disappointed that the main antagonist seems to have a bit of a weak revenge motive for his actions.

I've not, but I'm seriously tempted. Only just realised I don't mind reading sci fi after someone recommended an Ian M. Banks book to me, so I could be persuaded to give this one a pop.

Haven't posted about this - but have had my eye on it. I'm really torn.

The trailer looks like b-movie Sci Fi - not necessarily a bad thing mind... and the combat looks like it'll be genuinely enjoyable...

but part of me worries that it'll be a million hours long and I'll not be able to do the thing justice

... and KotOR bored the tats off me - although it did take about 60 hours of play to do so...

The trailer looks like b-movie Sci Fi - not necessarily a bad thing mind... and the combat looks like it'll be genuinely enjoyable...

B-Movie? I can't understand that comparison, if only because:

a ) it looks better than any other game out right now

and

b ) it looks better than a lot of movies.

... and KotOR bored the tats off me - although it did take about 60 hours of play to do so...

Before I was done with KOTOR not 20 hours into the thing, my parting shot went along the lines of "Man, if only they'd make an RPG that wasn't set in the shitty star wars universe".

Then they made Jade Empire. ;)

Then they announced Mass Effect, which fits the description I'd kept all to myself pretty much exactly. Word is it's not a gigantic game and following the main plotline without any deviation could see it finished in a much shorter time than what's generally thought acceptable for an RPG - but honestly, who'd wanna rush through a game that looks this good?

I've not, but I'm seriously tempted. Only just realised I don't mind reading sci fi after someone recommended an Ian M. Banks book to me, so I could be persuaded to give this one a pop.

If you have time to read a fucking Mass Effect novel, there's a whole stack of much better books you should be reading first, Preach.

If you have time to read a fucking Mass Effect novel, there's a whole stack of much better books you should be reading first, Preach.

Maybe, but how many of those will serve as a primer for what could be the best game I ever play? Besides, I ain't got fuck all time anymore, certainly not enough to finish the book I most recently started.

Maybe, but how many of those will serve as a primer for what could be the best game I ever play? Besides, I ain't got fuck all time anymore, certainly not enough to finish the book I most recently started.

Tell me about it. The last book I had time to read had fuzzy felt animals on the pages.

Then they announced Mass Effect, which fits the description I'd kept all to myself pretty much exactly. Word is it's not a gigantic game and following the main plotline without any deviation could see it finished in a much shorter time than what's generally thought acceptable for an RPG - but honestly, who'd wanna rush through a game that looks this good?

To me the appeal is not the main story (although from all I've heard/seen about it, it looks to be quite a ride) but more the world or even universe you have to explore. I spent hundreds of hours on Baldurs Gate and then hundreds more hours on Baldurs Gate 2, from all I've seen of this I reckon it'll rival(or even surpass) them easily in quality.

Chalk it up to Universal Translators, dude. All the aliens in Star Trek speak English, too, except when the director has his wank hat on.

Come on, now. I can't let you get away with that. Darmok was one of the best episodes of TNG!

To me the appeal is not the main story (although from all I've heard/seen about it, it looks to be quite a ride) but more the world or even universe you have to explore. I spent hundreds of hours on Baldurs Gate and then hundreds more hours on Baldurs Gate 2, from all I've seen of this I reckon it'll rival(or even surpass) them easily in quality.

This is what I most enjoy too. I like being able to just explore the universe and knowing that the main quest will still be waiting no matter how slow or deliberate I am, let me have the opportunity to get some nice weapons, have some mini-adventures, and meet interesting individuals before I go down the road to slaying the big bad guy.

There's a good little interview on Gamespot mainly going on about the same old, same old but it also included...

We also have plans for content in between the main releases, too. We haven't revealed a lot of details on that yet, but it's really exciting stuff. Like when Casey referenced earlier the ability to go to all these uncharted worlds in a different order or [with a] different progression, part of that is our ability to drop in new worlds, new places to visit midstream that you can just go to, you know, new spaceships or new planets, new uncharted spaces. So we'll reveal more details on that in the future, but it's pretty exciting. We've got some stuff in development now, in the pipe, that I think the fans will be pretty damn happy with

Link to article

Can someone spoiler-ise the entire plot of the book for us in a single paragraph for those of us who can't be arsed? :)

I was debating whether to take the final step into massive nerd-dom and summarise the entire plot of a rubbish companion prologue book for a very heavy sci-fi videogame but luckily some other massive nerds have already done it on Wikipedia, so my cool kid credentials remain intact. If that's still too long then just fuck off.