ChrisN

What are you reading at the moment?

On 30/04/2019 at 15:04, Silent Runner said:

I'm about 40% of the way through Don Winslows new one The Border. It's the third part in his Dope War trilogy and picks up immediatley where the previous book, The Cartel left off. The first two books in this series are amazing and I was a little worried this was going to be a book too far but I was wrong to be concerned - this is just as good. 

The anti-hero of the first two books Art Keller has spent his life fighting the drug war mostly along the Mexican border. He's just been appointed head of the DEA. The book follows his attempts to re-focus the war and to acknowledge it can't be won. He comes up against American politicians (thinly disguised versions of Donald Trump and Jared Kutshner) while at the same time the Cartels are fighting for territory all across Mexico and Central America.

I think anyone who has read the first two books in this trilogy will have already picked this up but if you haven't then it's highly recommended. Violent, fast-paced, political but mostly just a superb thriller with real heart. 

I’m reading this at the moment. Amazing. Book of the year so far.

On 18/10/2018 at 19:14, Darren said:

@Boothjan if you’re interested in that era then try Daughters if the Dragon that I mentioned on the previous page. It’s about the women who were just as much prisoners of war as their male counterparts. It’s regularly 99p in Kindle deals.

Bumping this because I just noticed Daughters of the Dragon is £1 on Kindle today.

I've bought it on your recommendation - you've not let me down yet, so let's see if that stretches beyond Star Wars....! (Thanks for the heads up)