Sign in to follow this  
tejstar

PSP gets price cut to EUR199 (£140)...

It wasn't though. All the FMV and rendered stuff was lo-res on PC too - blur-o-vision. The polygons were high res.

Ah ok, it's coming back to me now. It was a long time ago.

Ah ok, it's coming back to me now. It was a long time ago.

I wish it would come back to me. Everytime I think back to that game is with very VERY heavy rose tinted glasses. ah good times old friend, good times.

So... is the lack of games due to the fact that it just costs more and takes longer to develop? I guess, also, with the extra costs it's more important for publishers that there is a alrge installed userbase...?

Sooo, an analog stick and two shoulder buttons missing then?

Oh yeah. Bollocks. :unsure: I guess that rules out direct re-releases of PSone games. Reworked titles only.

Still, no PS1 games required the analogue sticks anyway.

Sooo, an analog stick and two shoulder buttons missing then?

I never liked them anyway...

Volume +/- for L2/R2?

Some kind of shift button to toggle left/right analogue stick?

Hardly intuitive but can't really think of another way...

It's not going to be pretty, is it?

Ape Escape required the analogue sticks, but that has a remake on PSP anyway.

Can't think of any others.

Selected titles? So not so much an emulator, as ports (by the time you do tweaking etc). Just rename it the Portstation Portable and be done with it, Sony.

I don't understand why Sony would do it when full price ports of old PSOne games like Street Fighter Alpha 3 Upper, Tales of Eternia and Breath of Fire III seem to be selling pretty well.

The actual game size is 200MB minus the cutscenes. This 200MB of data is repeated on all three discs. There is a different 400MB of FMV on each disc, meaning the total size of the game (without compressing it further) is around 1.4GB.

Is the game data really the same on all discs? I think you can visit anywhere in the world with disc 3 in the drive, so I guess it must be.

When I was looking at the disc contents, considering a DS port, I failed to take that into account, and so came to 600MB gamedata.

200MB would be viable for a DS game, with inengine cutscenes...

Is the game data really the same on all discs? I think you can visit anywhere in the world with disc 3 in the drive, so I guess it must be.

Yes. In fact, if you swap discs whilst it's still playing, you can carry on as normal with your progress, even though you've got the wrong disc in there. Even better is that, when a cut-scene kicks in, it plays the wrong one. :)

Considering there are 4 english ones at the moment, you may want to rethink that

There are actually six in Breath of Fire III, Tales of Eternia, Popolocrois, Legend of Heroes, Generation of Chaos and YS VI: The Ark of Napishtim. They're not the greatest and are all ports but they'll do for the time being.

I'm not too sure about the PS1 emulator. Great if the games are affordable (less than a fiver each) and are improved to take advantage of the PSP. However I think I'd rather game developers took the time to rewrite the games for the PSP and releasing them as stand alone games. Maybe this is a way for Sony to stop the PSP being flooded with PS1 ports.

www.xe.com reckons that 19,800 yen is less than £100 for a white PSP.

Yep. But bear in mind you'll have to buy a memory stick on top of that.

I'm assuming we'll be able to download these PS1 games...

I don't have them anymore...

Also, I assume that only games that don't use two analogue sticks will work. How will they map the controls? Will it be configurable?

Personally, I think it's a great idea.

I'd like to see the same for NES/SNES games on the DS.

Also, I assume that only games that don't use two analogue sticks will work. How will they map the controls? Will it be configurable?

To be honest I don't recall many PS1 games making use of both analogue sticks.