Sign in to follow this  
Broker

Anyone Dissapointed By The Lack Of 64 Ports To Ds?

yes yes, i know, ports are the devil and we should all rejoice when new games come out. but i have to say, after seeing mario 64 as a launch game, was anyone else hoping for a few more handheld versions of 64 classics?

i know theres probably some crazy new ds zelda on the way, but i would really have liked to have gotten a port of OOT on the thing. any other great 64 games that deserve a port?

I'm glad.  After Mario 64 I thought the DS was going to be over run with lazy N64 ports with shit touch screen support.

Same here. Although there's a multitude of N64 games I'd like to be able to play on the move the DS simply isn't the system to do it on, with the lack of a proper analogue stick.

I think it's got an excellent balance of classic Nintendo IP and original titles.

Apart from Pilotwings, I'm struggling to think of any N64 games that'd work well, or would benefit from being relesed on the DS.

Although I'm sure Rare/Nintendo could make a small fortune by releasing Goldeneye with Wifi multiplayer.

Wouldn't that be a minefield though, with EA now having the rights to the Bond games?

Wouldn't that be a minefield though, with EA now having the rights to the Bond games?

Probably, I was just suprised nobody had mentioned it at all. I never could play the game myself it gave me motion sickness, as did Perfect Dark. I never made it past the opening level in either without throwing up.

How's this working out for you, Jethro :D

No, ports are evil and most of the N64 ports would seem to be dated anyway.

its kinda the response i was expecting. i was just comparing mario 64 ds to the original and i was thinking how nice it would be to see OOT without that n64 haze around it, in a portable fasion.

i was also thinking that it might be a good way for devs to do ports of GC games, as a few GC games were intended for 64 but never made it and so all the work done on them originally was wasted, eternal darkness or dinosaur planet.

Sin and Punishment please Treasure!

As much as I want to agree. I'd rather have an ALL NEW S&P game than the original.

I love the original, but it's there already ,and can be played when ever...

I don't want ports!

I want NEW NEW NEW!!!

*Goes back to playing Animal Crossing*

Yes, I'm disappointed by the lack of ports at the moment. If there were some ports then maybe it would stop the endless boring jingoistic DS kiddy fanboyism that seem to flood every thread that dares to praise the PSP.

I'm sure there was some talk of Perfect Dark on the DS on Rare's website a while back. Nothing official mind, to paraphrase "we'd like to do it one day depending on what MS have to say on the matter". Not sure if it was a port or a new game they were talking about. In my book either would be quality.

But they both came out on the GC :D

yes, but normally porting a gc title to ds would proably be a long process, however if the 64 groundwork is done im assuming its fairly easy to port 64 to ds and it would allow for quick ports and mean the devs didnt waste all their work on the 64 versions.

Yes, I'm disappointed by the lack of ports at the moment. If there were some ports then maybe it would stop the endless boring jingoistic DS kiddy fanboyism that seem to flood every thread that dares to praise the PSP.

Meeow.

what about 64DD ports? mario artist never got a western release, and would work amazingly well with the touchscreen. in fact, so would sim city 64 and f-zero track editor.

thinking about it, 64DD ports make more sense than n64 ones. ive always wanted to play mario artist.

That's the only game I could think of that would be good if they updated it, oh, and shadowgate ds.

I never "got" Shadowgate. It seemed like one of the most primitive early text adventures*, with ugly graphics and an ear-piercing soundtrack slapped on top.

*a bad one, with about 20 locations, puzzle solutions coming from the arbitrary use of magic items, and the challenge coming from trial-and-error death avoidance rather than ingenious puzzles.

I was quite excited about the prospect of a 64 style F Zero with a track editor and online mode, then I remembered that Nintendo WiFi is an embarassing mess.

I thought Nintendo have already said that an online F-Zero is not possible (on any console not only handhelds)?

More 64 ports would make me cry even more about the lack of analogue controls on the current generation of handhelds.